Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Dilemma

V4L
    V4L is offline Jersey Retired

Dilemma

Alright I wanna know what people think about this..

I was playing ball with Sam yesterday and my friend's dog who is smaller then most average sized cats was running around, this kid from out of town rode his bike here with his dog which is a huge german shepard.. It happened to tear my friends dog's back off and I had to stop it from killing it..

It had to get surgery and costed about 500 dollars..

Well this kids family is super messed up.. And there is alot of financial problems.. While my friend's family is well off..

Would you go full out and get full payment for vet bills? Or try and split the cost even though it was the bigger dogs fault and it came on thier property..

They aren't sure what they wanna do because the other family has 3 young kids and they don't want to give them any trouble.. But it is 500 dollars for something that wasn't thier fault

Formo is offline Team Alumni

Re: Dilemma

Ugh...

The drama makes my head hurt.. =/

Honestly, if I were your friends family, I wouldn't press any sort of charges. I would pay the vet bill (especially if I were well off and could afford it) and ask/demand that they keep better watch on their dog.

But that's just me.
    Vegans are eating the rainforests. =(

CrazyVikingsFan is offline Pro-Bowler

imo it is the bigger dogs fault because it still attacked the dog. if i walked in your yard and you cut off my leg and i had to get surgery u would be at fault not me!!!

V4L
    V4L is offline Jersey Retired

That's what I was thinking too..

They could afford it but it would be a burden kinda.. My friend is graduating and they have alot of stuff to pay for.. And prom is coming up and he just got a tux for 150..

I feel bad for the family but maybe it's a wake up call?

I forgot to add that the father was wayyyy too smashed to deal with anything and the son rode his bike to town like 5 miles out..

Messed up situation here!

FedjeViking is offline Ring of Fame

Go for the money from the dog owner who was at fault. People need to have more responsibility for the control of their pets! Hitting them in their wallet is the only way to teach them this fact.

Just now on the news from NY a 4 yr old boy had his ears ripped off by a dog while out for a walk with his grandfather!

I'm sorry for their situation, but as a rescue/foster home for Boston Terriers, and a Assistant Animal Tech. I feel qualified to say that these owners need to hold the responsibility for spay/neuter, and control of their dogs.

What if it had attacked a child? Or even one of their own children?
    [move]"Our day WILL come!! I just hope I LIVE long enough to see it!"[/move]

Ltrey33 is offline Jersey Retired

That sucks man...you don't want to put people out but it's definately their fault and there is no reason your friend's family should have to incur the vet bills. I would try to work something out with them outside of court. Pressing any sort of formal charges would drive the cost of EVERYTHING up and would deafet the purpose of making them pay in the first place because you know they would spend more than 500 dollars on an attorney.

boognish is offline Coordinator

Of course the owners of the dog who attacked need to pay. The bigger question is, does this mutt pose a threat to those young children? It has obviously not been trained well.

If it was one of my dog's that was attacked, I guarantee that other dog wouldn't be walking around at this point. Debt paid.
    I am a dipshit!!!

mnjamie is offline Ring of Fame

Make them pay the FULL PRICE. I have a smaller pup and people all the time either don't have their dog on a leash or take care of it enough to the point where the dog lashes out at something else, usually another dog. PISSES ME OFF to no end ... Doesn't matter, it was their property that damaged your friends property ... Period, end of story.

BadlandsVikings is offline Jersey Retired

Go for the damages, people need to learn how to bee more responsible. I also heard about the dog attack in NY. If know you have viscious dogs take care of them or have them put down.

jonnyb is offline Rookie

Why would you pay 500 bucks for surgery on a dog?! I understand that it may be part of the family, but it is a dog. If the five hundo is an issue, they prolly shouldnt have had the surgery. Not to be an ass, just a thought.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast