Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    snowinapril is offline Jersey Retired

Dig Deep - Vikings Fans Donate

[size=18px]TIME, CLOTHES, MONEY[/size]

Where and what are YOU going to donate?

Even if it is just $25 (a night out for one) that is enough. Or to sacrifice that 2nd case of Bud Light for the season opener.
    Even if you have to dig into the back of your closet for clothes. These people have nothing and are displaced from their home.

Don't sit there and do nothing. I got these sites from the Titans Website when I was looking for Steve McNair's foundation. By the way if you want a material possession for your donation, for $100 you can get an autographed photo of McNair.

http://www.titansonline.com/news/com_news_detail.php?PRKey=3006

American Red Cross: 1-800-HELP-NOW or www.redcross.org

United Way: www.national.unitedway.org

AmeriCares: www.americares.org

America's Second Harvest: 1-800-344-8070 or www.secondharvest.org

Charity Navigator: www.charitynavigator.org

Convoy of Hope: 1-417-823-8998 or www.convoyofhope.org

FEMA Charity tips: www.fema.gov/rrr/help2.shtm

National Voluntary Organizations Active in Disaster: www.nvoad.org

Operation Blessing: 1-800-436-6348 or www.ob.org

Salvation Army: 1-800-SAL-ARMY or www.salvationarmyusa.org

For Animal Lovers: http://www.spca.org

Victims will not be able to take care of their animal while they are displaced and there are lots of strays

These are the most likely on a national level to get the money where it needs to go. If you donate somewhere else please check it out thoroughly first.

If you have given already, please say yeah or nay but not the amount of your donation, BE TACTFUL!

If someone lists a donation site on here other than the ones listed above, don't assume that it is legit, do the research!!!!

Re: Dig Deep - Vikings Fans Donate

We gave to Red Cross and a little something something to the SPCA.

I know from working at a nonprofit youth group home that the United Way is a great charity and will definitely get the money where it needs to go. I suggest if you have a specific city that you want to help out, go to that city's United Way site or call them directly and give them your donation. Once the rebuilding starts, they will help reestablish the project that support the community.

REMEMBER, WHAT YOU HAVE IS MORE THAN YOU THINK WHEN YOU COMPARE IT TO WHAT THE PEOPLE IN THE GULF COAST REGION HAVE RIGHT NOW.

KARE channel 11 in MPLS

http://www.kare11.com/news/news_article.aspx?storyid=105834

Red Cross Volunteer Hildred Dungan was on her way to the State Fair this morning, when she got the call. Her schedule was changing courtesy of hurricane Katrina.

"I think we're going to be doing mass care, going out and feeding people that have no place to eat, because their homes have been ruined or damaged or something," said Dungan.

Hildred will be co-piloting the ERV, the Minneapolis Red Cross emergency response vehicle. She'll be traveling with Carol Cantwell, a veteran of many hurricanes.

"This one might be the worse one," said Cantwell.

As the volunteers got the ERV ready for a trip to a staging area in Alabama, Carol had some advice for Hildred, a hurricane rookie.

"Probably patience is the biggest thing. Well you just don't organize something like this in five minutes. Sometimes we get to a place and have to wait awhile to know where we're going and so forth," said Cantwell.

While the world watches images of the monster storm as it swirls across the Mississippi Delta and New Orleans, a North Memorial paramedic feels lucky that he escaped Katrina's wrath.

"I said I'm a paramedic and I'm driving north. Who wants to go," said Dave Long who was in New Orleans for an EMS convention. He found flying out was impossible, so he grabbed one of the last rental cars and six strangers and headed out.

"It was bumper-to-bumper, only about zero to five miles an hour, it took us five hours to get to Baton Rouge to drop-off our first person, which is normally only about an hour and a half drive.

After dropping off one passenger in Baton Rouge, Dave spent the rest of the day making it to Shreveport, where he caught a plane home Monday morning.

"The hard part was trying to find a bathroom. Every place seemed to be closed," said Long

So while some are relieved to escape disaster, others are hitting the road and heading right for it.

(Copyright 2005 by KARE. All Rights Reserved.)

KARE channel 11 in MPLS

Some Minnesotans experienced firsthand the wrath of Hurricane Katrina.

One of them was Jeanne Jaakola, of Brooklyn Park, whose flight home from New Orleans was cancelled.

“They've actually locked down the hotel,� Jaackola said in a phone conversation with KARE 11. She said she couldn’t believe how quickly the storm rolled in.

“Coming from Minnesota, hurricanes are just something that's out there,� she said. “I've never experienced this before.�

Fortunately for residents of the Big Easy, Jaakola is an emergency medical technician and was in Louisiana for a conference.

She told local EMTs she would “help out wherever we're needed.�

Meanwhile, back in Minnesota, Red Cross volunteer Hildred Duncan was leaving Monday. She drove the Minneapolis Red Cross emergency-response vehicle to Alabama.

“I think we're going to be doing mass care,� she said, “going out and feeding people that have no place to eat, because their homes have been ruined.�

And Dr. Merle Hillman, and ER doctor at United Hospital in Saint Paul, might be leaving for hurricane country, too.

Hillman heads up the Minnesota Disaster Medical Assistance Team, and he’s been deployed to hurricane regions before.

“In Pensacola,� he said, talking about a 2004 trip to Florida after Hurricane Ivan, “we saw a lot of chainsaw injuries when people were trying to cut down trees.�

He said people also tend to hurt their backs when they lift heavy debris.

Ironically, the Minnesota Disaster Medical Assistance Team rarely gets called to assist people after disasters in Minnesota.

“The last time we had these disaster teams responding to a disaster in Minnesota is when there was a flood in 1997,� he said.

Some Minnesotans who stayed home Monday let their minds go someplace else.

“I just got off the phone with my mom, just checking on her,� said Vikings cornerback Freddie Smoot, who is from New Orleans. He said his mother was fine.

Running back Mewelde Moore is from Baton Rouge, and he said the storm “weighed on me heavily� during practice Monday. His family avoided the brunt of the storm.

And then there's Dave Long, who was in New Orleans for the EMT convention, like Jeanne Jaakola. But Long found a rental car.

“I was bumper-to-bumper, only about five miles an hour,� he said.

Be he said he told people, “I'm a paramedic and I'm driving north. Who wants to go?�

He picked up six hitchhikers, managed to get out of the storm, and came back to Minnesota, where the weather was perfect.

Others going to the disaster area work for St. Paul Travelers, the insurance company based in Saint Paul.

The company says it has just begun to assess the damage in the hurricane area. But some adjusters have said total damage could be in the $25 billion range.

But St. Paul Travelers says the company accounts for disasters like Katrina, and the company says it won't use a hurricane as an excuse to raise insurance rates here.

By Scott Goldberg
    , KARE 11 News

(Copyright 2005 by KARE. All Rights Reserved.)

WCCO

http://wcco.com/topstories/local_story_242223441.html

Minnesotans To Send Relief To Hurricane Victims

Save It
    Email this Article Email It
    Print this Article Print It

(AP) Minneapolis Target Corp. will donate $1.5 million to the American Red Cross, with $500,000 earmarked for immediate relief efforts related to Hurricane Katrina, the company said Tuesday.

Target also said it would let the Red Cross use property in Louisiana to establish a central command center. Target spokeswoman Lena Michaud said the property is not the site of a current store.

Target also said it is coordinating large-scale distribution of products requested by the Red Cross, such as water, ice, energy bars and bug spray.

As news pictures began to show the extent of the devastation left by Hurricane Katrina, other businesses and charities also mobilized fundraising efforts to help victims.

Catholic Charities, a national organization, is asking that special collections be taken at weekend services to help those who need food, shelter and clothing.

The Rev. Timothy Reker, of St. Francis Catholic Church in Rochester, said a national request for money is rare, but necessary, due to the immediate need for funds.

"That's where a collection like this helps people do the most good because with an organization like Catholic Charities or the Red Cross ... they have people in place and they can work with the emergency organizations to make sure they are doing the most good," Reker said.

Students, faculty and staff at Minnesota State, Mankato plan to collect supplies for children affected by the hurricane. The university plans to put together more than 1,200 packages, including a book, crayons, a coloring book and snacks, for children stuck in shelters in Louisiana and Mississippi.

(© 2005 The Associated Press. All Rights Reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.)

More Links from GOOGLED "Minnesotans Donate to Katrina Victims"

MPR: Minnesota steps up Katrina recovery efforts
    Minnesotans are gearing up to help the victims of Hurricane Katrina in a variety of ways. Relief organizations are asking mostly for money to help those in ...
    news.minnesota.publicradio.org/features/2005/09/01_scheckt_katrinarelief/ - 43k - Sep 1, 2005 - Cached - Similar pages

KAALtv.com - 6 News First Online
    KoC to hold fundraiser for Katrina victims ... (KAAL) -- Governor Tim Pawlenty is sending out an appeal to Minnesotans to donate to the American Red Cross ...
    www.kaaltv.com/article/archive/10/?tf=news4.tpl&Limit=10 - 49k - Sep 1, 2005 - Cached - Similar pages

Office of Minnesota Governor Tim Pawlenty and Lt. Governor Carol ...
    Relief for victims of Hurricane Katrina given through 1-800-HELP-NOW or ... and prayers of all Minnesotans go out to the victims of Hurricane Katrina.� ...
    www.governor.state.mn.us/Tpaw_View_Article.asp?artid=1504 - 23k - Sep 1, 2005 - Cached - Similar pages

Hurricane Katrina Relief Update
    ... advice to citizens who wish to donate money and goods to victims of Hurricane Katrina. ... Minnesotans find ways to help after hurricane (8/30/05) ...
    www.mcf.org/hurricanekatrina.htm - 8k - Sep 2, 2005 - Cached - Similar pages

Minnesotans digging deep to help
    Two days after Hurricane Katrina slammed into the Gulf Coast, Minnesotans ... Tim Pawlenty urged "generous and compassionate" Minnesotans to donate to the ...
    www.startribune.com/stories/125/5590068.html - 17k - Sep 1, 2005 - Cached - Similar pages

300 miles west and that would have been my home washed away.

huh

Mikecarter81 is offline Coordinator

Good post SnowinApril!

I gave 100 bucks plus some canned goods to the Red Cross here in town. I know its not a lot, but every bit helps.

Mike
    I am an avid Viking fan, but also am an avid restoration guy of vintage Mopar(Chrysler, Dodge, Plymouth)B bodies

"snowinapril" wrote:
    huh
    what?

a local radio station down here was trying to fill 3 tractor-trailors with items for the victims of katrina, and i went down there and contributed some items to their drive. i urge everone else to help out as they can as well.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast