Page 2 of 18 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast
    romanswinter is offline Waterboy

Re: Diet Thread - for all those who want to lose weight

100% fruit juice is not bad for you. Its actually very healthy and loaded with vitamins and other good nutrients you need. Its the juice cocktails that are like only 20% juice and the rest sugar and other crap that are bad for you. Welches 100% Grape Juice and any kine of 100% apple juice I highly reccoment. But these should not be substitues for water. Water water water water water is the key. These drinks should only be used as an alternative once a day or at one meal a day, just so you can get the vitamins as well as have some flavor in your drink.
    Reporter: How do you plan on paying for the fine?
    Randy Moss: Straight cash homie!

ultravikingfan is offline Administrator

Once I hit my target weight I will still eat the same during the week but be able to "treat"myself during the weekend.

PPE, I know what you mean about seeing "it" again. I thought my "little soldier" had been deployed! :wink:

enlvikeman is offline Hall of Famer

carbs, sugars and the worst thing in the world to eat (diet wise)...bread.

I eat meats, cheeses and any fatty food I want and do not gain weight. Sugar and carbs are the worst things for a diet...not the calorie fat intake.

Also if you want to lose 11 to 15 lbs quick, try a body cleansing program. I bought (enuvia) on line. It's a colon, kidney, liver cleansing system. They say almost every human (especially in the U.S.) has enormous amounts of undigested food in their colon and intestinal track. Try it. I felt like I lost 10 lbs in two days!

Good Luck with the diet Ultra. Don't feel bad I'm 255 lbs at 6'4".

"24 mil under the cap? there are teams 30 mil over the cap, heck that gives us at least 50 mil to spend"

CollegeGuyJeff circa 2006

DCPologirl is offline Team Alumni

"2beersTommy" wrote:
    I think he's try to convey, that the Mrs. would appreciate His "shaping up" lol
    I'm glad that you are more with it today then I am lol...now I get it1

DCPologirl:Maybe Randy will make Aaron Brooks look better......roflmao Del Rio: I guarantee he will

ultravikingfan is offline Administrator

"enlvikeman" wrote:
    carbs, sugars and the worst thing in the world to eat (diet wise)...bread.

I eat meats, cheeses and any fatty food I want and do not gain weight. Sugar and carbs are the worst things for a diet...not the calorie fat intake.

Also if you want to lose 11 to 15 lbs quick, try a body sleansing program. I bought "enuvia) on line. It's a colon, kidney, liver cleansing system. They say almost every human (especially in the U.S.) has enormous amounts of undigested food in their colon and intestinal track. Try it. I felt like I lost 10 lbs in two days!

Good Luck with the diet Ultra. Don't feel bad I'm 255 lbs at 6'4".
    What do you do when your fellow officers go into Dunkin Donuts then?

:razz:

Thanks!

cajunvike is offline Jersey Retired

"DCPologirl" wrote:
    "cajunvike" wrote:
    "ultravikingfan" wrote:
    I am starting this thread for all of you who want to or are thinking about shedding a few pounds. For those of you who already have a good diet, maybe you could offer some advice to others. Anybody who has some knowledge is encouraged to post here. I will start with me.

When I got out of the Army in 1996, I was 165 lbs; lean and fit. I have always had a great metabolism and never gained weight. That was until I went on my honeymoon.

Long story short, being promoted to a supervisor at work meant that I was not required to do much manual labor anymore. And now that I went back to school I have added a few pounds. I peaked at 213.5 in January, I am only 5'11. It was mainly my gut; I kinda looked pregnant.

So, I decided it was time to do something about it. I was very disgusted with myself and really depressed. So, through church I joined a diet group. The diet I was doing was to eat every 2 1/2 - 3 hours and intake something small and healthy. There was no eating after 5 pm (eating late really kills you...big time). We were supposed to use a treadmill or walk briskly 4 times a week. I did not do the exercising, but with the diet I lost 5 pounds in the first week and about every week thereafter. Oh yeah, drink a buttload of water too.

About 3 weeks ago I was not losing anymore weight. I started lifting again but I always overslept on the days when I had to do cardio (run or swim). I was only down to 198 for weeks.

So, just playing around I changed the diet a little to kind of "shock" my metabolism a little. I only ate every 4-5 hours and did not eat much. But I kept my protein high. Most would say that it is not good to do this because your body will store fat and go into starvation mode. I did it anyways for a week and now I am back to my other diet plus trying to eat more vegetables.

Today, I weighed in at 191. So, I have lost 22 1/2 lbs since Feb. 1. My waist has slimmed down a bit, but it mostly has come off of my butt and legs. My pants are almost too big now; which is a good thing.

I missed my workout today, but tomorrow I am hitting it hard everyday this week and my goal is to be at 187 by nexy Monday.

I will be posting some links here soon. Please join in and help encourage others. Its not bad. I am not starving. The first week was tough but my body got used to not eating so much.

Lets do it!
    OF COURSE, it came off of your BUTT...since you are ALL BUTT anyway!!! :razz:

But seriously, GOOD GOING!!! I need to start shaping up as well...and I will take inspiration from your progress!

PM me the diet if you would...I would greatly appreciate it...and Mrs. Cajun would too! :lol:
    Speak for yourself buddy, I've met Mrs. Cajun and she is in perfect shape!
    I KNOW!!! :tongue: Aren't I a lucky guy? :grin: Of course, she can eat whatever she wants and not gain weight...not so for me! :cry:
    BANNED OR DEAD...I'LL TAKE EITHER ONE

JDogg926 is offline Star Spokesman

I've always felt this is an area in which I have some expertise.

I weighed 190 lbs when I graduated, I weighed between 205-210 in college, and was pretty ripped considering I worked out 6 days a week. I'm bigger now, 220-225, which is right where I want to be and I'm muscular.

After this football season, I weighed 242 (Jan 1st) and a lot of it was in the beer gut. I knew I had to do something about it. By the end of March I was a lean 219. I've gained a couple lbs since then (221), but done so intentionally. So, I did all of the following, and I believe that anyone can have success, if they follow this plan:

1. No pop/soda or Beer/alcohol (1 serving of each per week at most)

2. No junk food (Chips, Cookies, etc.)

3. Wheat bread instead of white bread

4. Do not, I repeat, do not cut carbs! You get dietary fiber from carbs. There are bad carbs and good carbs. If you're not drinking soda and not eating candy and white bread, you've already cut out the bad carbs. Don't shy away from things that are high carb like oatmeal, bagels, raisins, wheat bread. These have very high levels of fiber and are very good for you and your metabolism.

5. Don't eat after 9 pm, unless it's a protein shake, or something that is almost entirely protein. Egg whites, a small portion of chicken breast, or a spoon of peanut butter are some suggestions.

6. Do little things like for for example, I used to eat an entire DiGiorno pizza by myself. You can still eat things like this, but slowly cut back your proportions. If you normally have 5 of something(pieces of pizza), go to 4, then to 3. Before you know it, 3 will fill you up.

7. Eat breakfast. Not MickeyD's or coffee and a donut. Try a bowl of raisin bran, a bagel, some oatmeal, or 4 egg whites and 1 yolk. Eggs contain the highest quality protein available to man, exactly the same as whey, on a scale of 1 to 100, it's rated 100. Almost all of this protein is found in the egg white. The cholesterol, fat, etc. is all in the yolk. I've ready you should have no more than 1 yolk per day. Some body builders and fitness competitors eat about 2 dozen egg whites every day.

8. Remember muscle burns fat. Adding 5 lbs of muscle at first will be a much more effective method at long term weight loss than just losing weight. A lot of people only measure weight lost. But, if you're losing muscle as well as fat, it's actually worse for you and will increase your body fat %.

9. Most importantly, diet is only half the battle. You must workout somehow or you won't have much success. I personally lift 3 days a week, and do 2-3 days a week of cardio. Everyone's body works differently, so this is sort of the wildcard, but the most effective way to lose weight is to burn more calories than you take in. I believe it's every 3500 calorie deficit (more burned than consumed), you lose one pound. So, if you cut say 300 calories a day (not very hard to do), that's 2100 calories right there, then you workout 4 days a week, each time burning 350 calories (if you mix and match lifting and cardio this isn't hard to do either), you've just lost a pound.

10. For exercise, do something you enjoy. I'm a gym rat, so I enjoy lifting, enjoy running on the treadmill and doing the elyptical. I understand that not everybody enjoys the same things. Play basketball, go for a jog, play volleyball, ride a bike, do jumping jacks, pushups and pullups, do some situps, go to the mall and walk laps, play catch, go bowling, wrestle with your kids, clean the house, build something, etc. There's a laundry list of things you can do w/o going to the gym that will actually get you some exercise. If you do something fun, you're more likely to stick with it.

I work out with varying rates of intensity 5-6 days/week, so I've had success faster than some people will, but this is the 2nd time I've done a diet/exercise plan similar to this. In 2002, after returning home from college, I was 219 about 15 lbs more than I wanted to be so I followed this diet. In just over a month, I weighed 198. I'm bigger now than I was in college, but I'm the same body fat % and I'm much stronger, and am in pretty decent cardio shape too. I can consistently run/jog 3 miles w/o stopping. That's not marathon shape, but I'm happy with that.

A couple of other tips. Egg whites, try 'em. They're not bad, and they're probably the best thing you possibly eat. I usually have 2 with my bowl of cereal in the morning, 2 with lunch, and 2 right before bed. That's about 24 grams of the best protein you can get with almost no calories, and no fat. There's a myth that cheese is bad for you. Fried cheese is very bad for you, but cheese is actually good for you. High in calcium, high in protein, yes there's fat, but it's actually got some fat that you need. Also, as Ultra said, make water your beverage of choice. Maintaing proper hydration levels is good for you in more ways than one. It keeps your system clean, flushing out toxins, keeps your stomach full in between meals, keeps your skin young and healthy looking, etc.

If you cheat, it's okay, just don't go overboard. A cookie won't kill your diet, half a box will. A handful of doritos won't kill your diet, a whole bag will. Two scoops of ice cream isn't so bad, a quart is. A beer while watching the game is alright, 10 is going to hurt you.

Also, anyone with exercise questions, I'm happy to help.
    542cbf305f333b0554e8ffa937f852d6

BadlandsVikings is offline Jersey Retired

Try the Jared Diet, eat nothing but dry subway sandwiches the rest of your life.

WBLVikeBabe is offline Jersey Retired

I have always had issues with my weight, and I've always tried to lose weight but I never stick with it long enough to work, I just lose my motivation to do it. My sister just got engaged a month ago and with the wedidng in September and me as the maid of honor, plus with summer right around the corner both of those things have given me motivation to start working on losing weight. My goal is to lose 20 pounds by September. I've already lost about 4 pounds in the few weeks I've been working on it. I've started working out a lot and just trying to cut back on a lot of foods that I ate before that I shouldn't have. I have a big sweet tooth so sometimes it's hard, but I just keep thinking about the beautiful dress and the sexy swimsuit that I would love to look good in by this summer! So anyways, that's my story good luck to everyone trying to drop a few pounds and hopefully we can try to keep each other accountable.

[move]My beautiful sig made by the one and only PPE![/move]

ColoradoVike is offline Pro-Bowler

this is a good topic to discuss. I can only add a few 'little techniques' to what's already been said.

avoid any drink or food with high fructose corn syrup in it. You;ll be surprised at how many food stuffs have it, but it's packed full of carbs, sodium, and calories. Cuting it out of your diet will make a huge difference.

bread in itself isn't evil, but you should be careful about the kind of bread you eat. Make sure you eat whole grains and breads high (i.e., > 4 g) in fiber. Whole grains are a great source of nutrition, including protien and vitamins, and the high fiber makes you feel full, which of course means you don't crave more food.

Carry water with you at all times. Feel hungry? Have a drink of water first. It will help avoid the tendencies to snack.

If you have difficulty avoiding snacks, munch on carrots, celery, apples, and other fruits/vegetables that are high in fiber. Again, these will make you feel full.

try to avoid eating out often or buying ready-made food. I try to limit the number of meals I have a week in which the person making it isn't worried about my waistline.

Perhaps most important is that you work some activity into your everyday life. This is tough as Americans have become a sedentary workforce and dependent on the automobile. But, there are little things you can do that add up:

-make a 30 min walk after dinner a mandatory part of the weekday. Get your spouse/partner/friend to commit to the same and you'll see a difference
    -take the stairs instead of the elevator
    -bike to work as much as you can (but, buy a helmet and a seat that will save you from impotence)

While I can sympathize with keeping body fat percentage low despite higher weight, I have to wonder if this is the best advice. Overall health is strongly correlated with body mass. So, you'll likely live longer and healthier if you keep your weight low. If you can accomplish low weight and low body fat, then that's ideal.

All of this means more time investment in limiting your weight, a strong discipline to stay the course, and in some cases a shift in lifestyle. I firmly believe it's worth it.

Page 2 of 18 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast