Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Vikes_King is offline Jersey Retired

Re: Did I get E-Screwed?

"baumy300" wrote:
    "Vikes_King" wrote:
    one thing you'll want to learn to do it watch those auctions until they get down to the final hour, more importantly the final minutes.

otherwise sometimes you'll just be running the price up on yourself by bidding early

That being said, looks like a fine buy tho for the price and the seller has 99.3% positive feed back having joined back in '99.

Feedback score: 11149|Positive feedback: 99.3%
    seems reliable, especially since its mainly jerseys that i've seen sold by him.
    11 & 1/2 hours and its yours
    Thanks for the advice!

After just losing a bid war by my own decision, I kind of thought of that. Just out bidding the sucker at the very last minute, but oh well.

On more question though. If the starting bid is like $9 on an autographed jersey that we all know would be worth at least 100 or so, and I bid $9.99 and win, does that seller have the option to back out, or does that mean I win an expensive item for under 10 dollars?

I'm not positive on the exact rules on it, as i'm pretty new to ebay myself.
    But as far as I know, listing an item doesn't obligate the seller to sell it for an ammount much, much less than the asking price, as long as they don't receive & keep the an immediate payment from the bidder.

Theres options on there such as "second chance offer" or "opt out" and relist. but I dont know all the details.. but yea.
    Theres a reason ebay allows you to set the starting bid price at what ever you want, granted it costs more the higher you list.
    Altho its still relatively inexpensive.

Heres some stuff.

Second Chance Offer lets you offer an item to the bidder or bidders who didn't win it.

Sending a Second Chance Offer is free but if your item sells, you will be charged a Final Value Fee based on a percentage of the final sale price.

You can send a Second Chance Offer for up to 60 days after the listing ends.

Before making a Second Chance Offer, try and work things out with your winning bidder first.

If your original listing was an eBay Giving Works listing, the donation preferences that you specified will apply to this Second Chance Offer

http://vikesking.blogspot.com/

"We’ll win our own Super Bowl, with our own players. Real Vikings. Something Brett Favre can never be."

- Dan Calabrese

singersp is offline PPO Newshound

"baumy300" wrote:
    I just purchased my very first E-Bay item. I am a really big college sports fan, and I really like MJ.

I found an authentic Heels jersey (not game worn or anything) and I'm now the winning bidder with $12.00

The jersey is in good shape and slightly worn with some marks on it that should come out in the wash. I don't plan on wearing the jersey, but just for folding or hanging up with my other memorabilia.

Overall, I should only have about 18-19 dollars in it.

I don't know, you think I got screwed?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&ssPageName=STRK:MEBTOX:IT&i tem=360000314449&_trksid=p3984.cTODAY.m238.lVI#eba yphotohosting

There's the link by the way.
    How can you have gotten screwed when you haven't even won it yet?

FYI, most ot the smarter experienced eBayers who are also interested in this jersey won't even place a bid on it until the final seconds are winding down.

All they are doing right now is keeping a watch on it using My eBay.

"If at first you don't succeed, parachuting is not for you"

Prophet is offline Jersey Retired

No, you got a great deal.
    BTW, I have an offer for you, send my a $100 bill and I'll name a star after you.....with a certificate and everything.
    Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please. Mark Twain

cogitans is offline Jersey Retired

"Prophet" wrote:
    BTW, I have an offer for you, send my a $100 bill and I'll name a star after you.....with a certificate and everything.
    Wait, so you say that for only $100, we can get to name big gloving objects of nuclear explosive stars millions of lightyears away.

Good thing we're not control freaks.

Thanks to PPE for the sig.

Prophet is offline Jersey Retired

"cogitans" wrote:
    "Prophet" wrote:
    Wait, so you say that for only $100, we can get to name big gloving objects of nuclear explosive stars millions of lightyears away.

....and, just for you cogs, I'll throw in the naming of a comet for only $20 extra.
    Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please. Mark Twain

cogitans is offline Jersey Retired

"Prophet" wrote:
    "cogitans" wrote:
    "Prophet" wrote:

....and, just for you cogs, I'll throw in the naming of a comet for only $20 extra.
    I'm sure it'll work wonders for my romantic life.

Thanks to PPE for the sig.

baumy300 is offline Star Spokesman

Haha, when I got home today, I was outbid on all 3 items (Wake Forest Duncan jersey, McDonalds All American Jordan jersey, and the NC one) so I waited until the last minute and bought this sweety instead!

I know this one is a great deal!

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=280179509725&_trksid=p 3907.m32&_trkparms=tab%3DWatching

Next pay check:

Tarkenton autographed jersey.

Vikes_King is offline Jersey Retired

"baumy300" wrote:
    Haha, when I got home today, I was outbid on all 3 items (Wake Forest Duncan jersey, McDonalds All American Jordan jersey, and the NC one) so I waited until the last minute and bought this sweety instead!

I know this one is a great deal!

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=280179509725&_trksid=p 3907.m32&_trkparms=tab%3DWatching

Next pay check:

Tarkenton autographed jersey.

haha ouch, good luck on the Tark jersey

http://vikesking.blogspot.com/

"We’ll win our own Super Bowl, with our own players. Real Vikings. Something Brett Favre can never be."

- Dan Calabrese

"Vikes_King" wrote:
    one thing you'll want to learn to do it watch those auctions until they get down to the final hour, more importantly the final minutes.

otherwise sometimes you'll just be running the price up on yourself by bidding early

That being said, looks like a fine buy tho for the price and the seller has 99.3% positive feed back having joined back in '99.

I disagree with that. Bidding within minutes left or even a minute can cost you the item. Trust me, I've screwed hundreds of people out of winning items. Aftern I place a bid (and I place a bid of a value I willing to pay for an item, not simply trying to get just above the bid) there is less than 10 seconds left which doesn't leave another bidder time to even place a bid. Regardless of how much you bid, the price only goes up to the next increment above the current bidder. That's usually $.25, $.50 or $1.00 depending on the item.

The trick is to know how fast your computer is and place your bid accordingly. I constantly refresh my screen to watch the seconds & usually place my bid with 16-18 seconds left on the auction.

"Vikes_King" wrote:
    "baumy300" wrote:
    "Vikes_King" wrote:

Thanks for the advice!

After just losing a bid war by my own decision, I kind of thought of that. Just out bidding the sucker at the very last minute, but oh well.

On more question though. If the starting bid is like $9 on an autographed jersey that we all know would be worth at least 100 or so, and I bid $9.99 and win, does that seller have the option to back out, or does that mean I win an expensive item for under 10 dollars?
    I'm not positive on the exact rules on it, as i'm pretty new to ebay myself.
    But as far as I know, listing an item doesn't obligate the seller to sell it for an ammount much, much less than the asking price, as long as they don't receive & keep the an immediate payment from the bidder.

Theres options on there such as "second chance offer" or "opt out" and relist. but I dont know all the details.. but yea.
    Theres a reason ebay allows you to set the starting bid price at what ever you want, granted it costs more the higher you list.
    Altho its still relatively inexpensive.

Heres some stuff.

Second Chance Offer lets you offer an item to the bidder or bidders who didn't win it.

Sending a Second Chance Offer is free but if your item sells, you will be charged a Final Value Fee based on a percentage of the final sale price.

You can send a Second Chance Offer for up to 60 days after the listing ends.

Before making a Second Chance Offer, try and work things out with your winning bidder first.

If your original listing was an eBay Giving Works listing, the donation preferences that you specified will apply to this Second Chance Offer
    If you win that jersey for $9.99 the jersey is yours, plain & simple, provided you pay the seller.

The seller does not have the right to back out of an auction simply because he thinks he didn't get a fair value for his item. It's a contract & the winning bid is a winning bid. The seller must honor that bid.

If the seller is looking for a minimum satisfactory amount for his item he has two options;

1. Start the bidding at the price he'd like to get at a minimum.

2. Set up a "reserve" auction, meaning he can start an auction at $.99 & set a reserve price of $99.99.

People can bid on this type of auction all they want, but if the final bid doesn't reach the reserve price, the auction ends without a winner.

On a side note, you would never want to bid $9.99 in the final seconds, people are going to be bidding $10.00 or $10.01. At the very least in that case, I would be bidding $10.26 if I were you.

If it was me & I'd be happy paying $75.00 for the jersey, my bid would be $75.26. That doesn't mean I would end up paying that much for it. I could very easily win it for $10.51 with a bid like that, since the bidding goes up by increments over the previously high bid.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast