Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 11 to 14 of 14
  1. #11
    douginc's Avatar
    douginc is offline Starter
    Join Date
    Dec 1969
    Posts
    220

    Re: Did chimp and human ancestors interbreed?

    "SKOL" wrote:
    Funny how scientists can't seem to learn from nature. When something gets too far out of line it can no longer breed. Cross a horse and a donkey and you CAN make an a-s-s..., but the a-s-s is infertile. Also maybe there's a reason why the fossil records do not support evolution (ie. man appears suddenly, not gradually). If they were to dig up an ancestor of "the elephant man", that maybe lived 4,000 years ago, they'd probably call it a missing link. But why isn't there more than one?

    Just a few facts that shouldn't take a rocket scientist to figure out. JMO
    Animals can be infertile when they interbreed between species, but you have to remember humans are not caused by some bizarre interspecies abomination like a jackalope and a penguin or a gorilla and a monkey. They are caused by two apes mating and having an offspring that is slightly different from themselves. If this new child's genetics allow him/her to reproduce and maintain the survival of his/her offspring, then you will see that change in genotype prosper. Many generations down the line and many minute changes later, you will see a large amount of variance from the original animal to the new one. A good friend of mine attends a university in Philadelphia and studies archaeology. She is making her thesis paper on what dictates whether or not two animals can mate. Is it the amount of DNA similarity, are there certain chromosomes in animals that either cause the body to advance and begin pregnancy or reject the outside species genetics, or another factor?

    Also, there are many, many, many fossils of ape-humans. There is a vast collection of them which have been used to study when, how, and what changes occured in our human lineage. Such as, when humans began becoming more bi-pedal (just means 'walks upright') the foramen magnum (anthropologists like to use complex terms for simple concepts - probably to make themselves sound cooler around the ladies even though I'm sure it doesn't work - anyway the foramen magnum is just a word for the hole in the bottom of our skull where our spinal column connects) began moving more and more downward until it is where it is now - at the bottom of the skull. This is discovered by studying the old fossils of ape-humans from which we descended. Also, sexual dimorphism (another complex term for no reason - it just means the amount of difference in body size between males and females in a species) has drastically decreased in the past 3 million years of our human history. We know this, once again, by studying fossil records - and facts like this open up an enormous amount of knowledge about how our past relatives lived and why and how we changed. For instance, high sexual dimorphism in a species usually suggests there is a lot of male/male competetion, a low amount of monogamy (one man for one woman) and a high amount of polygamy (one man for many females). Since our dimorphism decreased it could be assumed that humans now have higher amounts of monogamy (which is true) and lower amounts of male/male fights to the death (well, they still happen, but MUCH less likely than before or in traditional hunter/gatherer societies).
    For one of my classes we had to spend an entire week just observing and taking notes looking at 12 different replica ape-human fossils of skulls, midsections, etc. Yeah, you guessed it, it was almost as boring as it sounds. True, I love the topic, but I'm not into the whole 'staring at something for six hours until something makes sense to me'. I'd rather have someone who enjoys that figure it out and explain it to me, and luckily enough, I get that. I love anthopological theory, just making quick assumptions, allowing those to form into legitimate hypothesis, then trying to create a realistic test for them.
    If anyone has any questions about anthropology, I would love to answer them - I honestly love the topic and think many people can benefit from understanding why humans work in the ways they do.

  2. #12
    SKOL's Avatar
    SKOL is offline Ring of Fame
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Posts
    3,735

    Re: Did chimp and human ancestors interbreed?

    "enlvikeman" wrote:
    Bible anyone?
    :lol:

    The true measure of a man is how he treats someone who can do him absolutely no good -Samuel Johnson - lexicographer
    The word genius isn t applicable in football. A genius is a guy like Norman Einstein - Joe Theisman

  3. #13
    singersp's Avatar
    singersp is offline PPO Newshound
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Posts
    52,271

    Re: Did chimp and human ancestors interbreed?

    "SKOL" wrote:
    Funny how scientists can't seem to learn from nature. When something gets too far out of line it can no longer breed. Cross a horse and a donkey and you CAN make an a-s-s..., but the a-s-s is infertile. Also maybe there's a reason why the fossil records do not support evolution (ie. man appears suddenly, not gradually). If they were to dig up an ancestor of "the elephant man", that maybe lived 4,000 years ago, they'd probably call it a missing link. But why isn't there more than one?

    Just a few facts that shouldn't take a rocket scientist to figure out. JMO
    To bad that's not true with Packer fans & sheep. :razz:

    "If at first you don't succeed, parachuting is not for you"

  4. #14
    Prophet Guest

    Re: Did chimp and human ancestors interbreed?

    "singersp" wrote:
    "SKOL" wrote:
    Funny how scientists can't seem to learn from nature. When something gets too far out of line it can no longer breed. Cross a horse and a donkey and you CAN make an a-s-s..., but the a-s-s is infertile. Also maybe there's a reason why the fossil records do not support evolution (ie. man appears suddenly, not gradually). If they were to dig up an ancestor of "the elephant man", that maybe lived 4,000 years ago, they'd probably call it a missing link. But why isn't there more than one?

    Just a few facts that shouldn't take a rocket scientist to figure out. JMO
    To bad that's not true with Packer fans & sheep. :razz:
    If the theory is true we will soon see sheep-men in the pastures of Wisconsin.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Similar Threads

  1. Human Tetris
    By BadlandsVikings in forum The Clubhouse
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 07-17-2007, 09:29 PM
  2. Human Giant
    By happy camper in forum The Clubhouse
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 07-06-2007, 11:36 AM
  3. Human Flying Squirrel
    By Prophet in forum The Clubhouse
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 02-15-2007, 10:57 AM
  4. Redneck human slingshot
    By Prophet in forum The Clubhouse
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 02-13-2007, 09:06 PM
  5. dumbest human ever
    By smootloot in forum The Clubhouse
    Replies: 15
    Last Post: 12-18-2005, 06:21 PM

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •