Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Viking_Spirit is offline Star Spokesman

Demise of the NBA

"SHOW-TIME" wrote:
    How long is indefinantly? Because thats what John Saunders just said.
    That means they are out until the Commish says they can come back. They could be out 10 games, or the rest of their carrers. Whenever the Commish says they can come back is when the suspension ends.

Guns don t kill people. Chuck Norris kills people.

snowinapril is offline Jersey Retired

Demise of the NBA

The topic not brought up is, why should a fan be allowed to to that.

I understand if you are provoked you should not respond. Fans, will be trying to get into fights to get money. It will be an epidemic. They know they are untouchable. What does the fan have to lose? Oh I spent $100 dollars for a ticket and made 500,000 in my lawsuit. It is like hitting the lottery.

Fans on the field, deck'em.
    Fans on the court deck'em.

As far as the NBA goes, look at Garnett, Duncan and there are many average players that totally get overlooked that are not involved in any of this, like a Freddy Hoiberg.

The image could be improved. I like what Stern said after the Sprewell money comments. I think he will nip this in the bud.

I watched a segment on the Eagles and how the Vet had it's own court right at the Stadium so they could throw offenders in Jail right on the spot for misbehaving. The very first person sent to jail threw up on the judges table, not a very good start for the drunk guy.

DoubleDown11 is offline Pro-Bowler

Demise of the NBA

I think Artest is an idiot for going after the fans, reminds me of the freaking Hanson Brothers in Slapshot. Otherwise, I think Detroit Fans are to blame. Those 2 idiots in the Detroit Jerseys who went onto the court got what they deserved! It was an ugly situation to say the least.

And to top it off, did anyone see the "lowlights" from the Clemson-South Carolina game? What is going on in Sports today?
    something witty and comical... followed by genuine sarcasm.

GreenBaySlackers is offline Star Spokesman

Demise of the NBA

Jermaine O'neal broke that guy's jaw
    ^^^^^^^^^^^
    good for him!

Odin VAVikefan is offline Pro-Bowler

Demise of the NBA

Do any of you all remember that Calgary Flames hockey game about 2-3 years ago when a guy in the stands stripped and crawled over the plexiglass to go streaking on the ice? Then he slipped over the wall and fell and knocked his own naked ass unconscious, laying there for like 5 minutes! :cheers: :cheers: :cheers:
    NMA -- www.newmodelarmy.org

ItalianStallion is offline Jersey Retired

Demise of the NBA

Anyone remember last year in the superbowl when that streaker ran on the field before the kickoff of the second half? He tried to run away from security and got totally leveled by a Patriots player, Mike Vrabel I believe, awesome.

If a fan leaves his seat to go on the field/court he deserves everything that is coming to him. Artest should not have ran into he stands, and he is an idiot/selfish bastard but I can't say my instincts wouldn't compel me to do the same.

I m like a Ja Rule poster, cause I'm off the wall.

TwolvesZoneCom is offline Waterboy

Demise of the NBA

The NBA is still a great League. Life Goes On.
    We have a great league we just have to preserve it.

-The fans will probably be moved back farther from the players.
    -Security will be beefed up.
    -Somesort of limitations will be put on alcohol.

I have faith the NBA will become a great league, even better than it is now.

-Jason
    http://www.twolvesden.com

snowinapril is offline Jersey Retired

Demise of the NBA

Don't sit there and say the NFL is that much better than the NBA.

Green and Porter last week.

Philly Fans and Bills Fans, always have incidents.

I don't think that anything like that would happen in 4/5th of the arena in the league.

hawaiianvike21 is offline Team Alumni

Demise of the NBA

"snowinapril" wrote:
    Don't sit there and say the NFL is that much better than the NBA.

Green and Porter last week.

Philly Fans and Bills Fans, always have incidents.

I don't think that anything like that would happen in 4/5th of the arena in the league.
    Bills fans have incidents?? I agree on the eagles part and would throw in the raiders crowd as well.

However if i were artest and that happened to me, i dont blame him for going after that fan as i prolly would have done the same thing as well.
    IF anything that fan is the asshole and who should be to blame as he fueled the fire towards the fight as it was dying down.
    Hupo oe ke kau ana i ka waiupa a ma kou pa o & Hupo na Po o waiupa a

AngloVike is offline Jersey Retired
    Blog Entries

Re: Demise of the NBA

I was pulling a nightshift at work earlier in the week and the T-Wolves/Heat game was being shown live. At half-time there was a feature on Artest and his background and story to date - at the time I remember thinking that his attitude towards the game and his responsibility to his team/fans was not quite what you'd expect from a professional athlete. So in some ways I guess I'm not surprised to see that he was involved in an incident like this.
    Like Los says there is an element of the NBA reaping what they sow with the way that they promoted certain individuals as being the image of the league. Suddenly they then find that they have an unruly child that is too difficult to control and wonder why this has happened.

Having said that lets also consider the responsibility that fans take in all of this. A lot of fans that go to games get away with a vast amount of player-baiting, abuse without any chance of it coming back to bite them and many see this as part of being at a game. However a lot of them go way over the top in the things that they say or do and expect that the players should tolerate comments and actions that are clearly not acceptable. If you consider that players are no different to you or I then why should they be expected to put up with the trash that they do without finally snapping and wanting to smack the individual concerned.

Speaking as a Brit, the one thing that has always impressed me with american sports arenas is the openess of them and the fact that fans are not separated from each other or the playing area like it is in the UK and Europe - mainly with soccer games. We all know that there are some grounds in the NFL that are best avoided by away fans but generally going to games is not a problem. The danger with incidents such as last night, and some that have occurred at MLB grounds and NFL grounds in recent years is that the openess and family atmosphere is in danger of being lost.

You may not go down the line as happened in England with fans being caged in to keep them off the pitch which thankfully has now gone - though due to several bad disasters involving loss of life rather than good behaviour. However too many scenes as seen last night and you end up with the same as we have now, vast numbers of stewards and police basically ringing the playing field. The moment that one team scores or there is any incident on the pitch, then you'll often see them move into position ready to deter any fans from getting involved. Now is that something that you really want to see coming to a sports game near you ?

Lastly comes the issue of games and alcohol. We all know that the vast majority of people who drink at the games do so responsibly, same as they do if they are at a bar or party, but there is a small minority who don't. Even amongst them only a few get to be a problem and generally get removed but there is still a chance of one drunk causing problems. Maybe the leagues need to look at the matter of alcohol at games and review it, I appreciate it may seem a drastic move but the consequences may be more so.

Like Los thats just my two-penyworth on the subject
    Time spent annoying a Packer fan is never time wasted...

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast