Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    LosAngelis is offline Team Alumni

Demise of the NBA

I'm gonna do a Jim Rome rant here.

I know many of you fans, especially many of the younger ones, are still big fans of the NBA.

I've finally decided that I'm done with it.

This is not because I don't like basketball. I love basketball. I coach basketball. It's the only sport my uncoordinated body was willing to practice enough to play well.

I loved watching the NBA in the 80's. Guys like Dr. J, Larry Bird, Magic Johnson, Kareem, John Stockton, and later, Michael Jordan played the game as it was supposed to be played, and usually did it with class.

The bad guys were whiny guys...Laimbeer, Ainge, Barkley. You loved to hate them.

Michael Jordan, however, in his greatness, spawned a new generation of wanna-be athletes, who looked to shoot first, pass...um....never. The NBA allowed younger and less mature athlete to come in to the league, with their immature feelings of entitlement, of never having to earn the millions they got paid without even playing a minute of college ball.

They advertised the exploits of punks showboats, from Shawn Kemp to Allen Iverson, from Vince Carter to Latrell Sprewell. We were supposed to believe that watching their pure talent was enough to make up for their behavior, their selfishness, and their greed.

Today's game couldn't be farther from what basketball was meant to be. A group of interchangable names try to get pushed by the NBA is the "new stars", while none are truly able to make it to the top. The last of the "name players" are fading, from Tim Duncan to Shaquille O-Neal, already new age players in an ever-changing league.

I watch "Hoosiers", and see the basketball I fell in love with.

I watch the NBA, and I see a bunch of punks playing streetball...no team spirit, no screens, no pick and rolls...just drive to the basket and complain if you miss and there isn't a foul.

Today's actions (http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/recap?gameId=241119008) cap it off for me. Ron Artest continues to get to play this game, despite having the personality profile of a convict.

The NBA is now reaping what they have sown. The market for what they are selling is rapidly decreasing. People don't want to watch this. Hype the playoffs as you may, the season is too long to watch this kind of drivel, and the playoffs seem even longer.

Want to fix it? Let's go back to being a professional organization, and like so many other professional occupations, you NEED a college degree to play. Make these kids tough it out in the college ranks against something better than high school competition. Let them play for conference titles, go through bracketville, maybe understand what it takes to win a NCAA championship. One hint: it ain't the ability to slam dunk a ball and grab your crotch at the same time.

The NFL has reported they are solidifying the rules that will prevent anyone 19 and younger from playing in the NFL. Let's all be thankful that the one sport we all CAN agree on is making some intelligent decisions.

I wonder if the NBA is looking at the NFL and wishing they had done the same thing ten years ago.
    Have you ever seen a race of turtles, and they all go the wrong way instead of towards the finish line?

Welcome to the NFC North.

poult is offline Asst. Coach

Demise of the NBA

i saw the highlights from that brawl..... one of the most messed up scenes ive ever seen in a NBA game. i dont mind the players fighting, but charging into the stands is stupid as hell, that fan that came onto the court got what he deserved though. it reminded me of this NHL game i saw where this fan jumps the glass and tried to attack a player, skates vs. shoes on ice, the guy got leveled in one punch.
    "the only diffrence between suicide and martyrdom is the press coverage"
    Tender Branson

VikingsTw is offline Jersey Retired

Demise of the NBA

WOW, just rediculous. Just saw it, i dont really know what to say but that got out of hand. Basketball is such a great sport but the NBA is goin way down hill. From the whiners to the ron artest's. There are so many people is this world that would love to have the oportunity that these guys get, yet they want to whine and make rap CD's. Just reciculous, there's little kids in the stands, what a discrace.

hawaiianvike21 is offline Team Alumni

Demise of the NBA

man i loved watching that brawl. It was awesome and an extra treat for fans of all kind to see a brawl happening when the sport is not boxing, fighting, etc.

To tell you the truth, i actually enjoy seeing these fight and wouldnt mind to see more fight despite the danger, suspensions, lawsuits, fines, etc that it comes with it. I especially like it if its not a team i like, that way i dont have to worry about suspensions etc.

Awesome fight and i hope they have another one the next time they meet on x-mas day. :twisted:
    Hupo oe ke kau ana i ka waiupa a ma kou pa o & Hupo na Po o waiupa a

TheAnimal93 is offline Team Alumni

Demise of the NBA

too bad the fans didnt get a few more punches in. i hate what basketball has become and have not had the patience to watch such a product that is so horrible. i cannot even watch 5 minutes of ANY basketball game. sad to say but that was the most watch-worthy thing in basketball since jordan left. and that is when i quit watching b-ball. terrible product. and then to give them millions when they cannot even spell million. and then to expect them to act civilized when faced with adversity is quite naive. but we know that naive is not the case. the nba has known for a long time that half of their players are straight up thugs. granted fans in detroit were way out of line and things escalated way out of control. why didnt artest point out the guy, have him thrown out, and laugh at him on the way out the door? fans have been throwing stuff on the court, field, and rink for decades but when the players cross that line, they are the ones at fault!!! they are the PROFESSIONALS, right?

SHOW-TIME is offline Pro-Bowler

Re: Demise of the NBA

"LosAngelis" wrote:

I'm gonna do a Jim Rome rant here.

I know many of you fans, especially many of the younger ones, are still big fans of the NBA.

I've finally decided that I'm done with it.

This is not because I don't like basketball. I love basketball. I coach basketball. It's the only sport my uncoordinated body was willing to practice enough to play well.

I loved watching the NBA in the 80's. Guys like Dr. J, Larry Bird, Magic Johnson, Kareem, John Stockton, and later, Michael Jordan played the game as it was supposed to be played, and usually did it with class.

The bad guys were whiny guys...Laimbeer, Ainge, Barkley. You loved to hate them.

Michael Jordan, however, in his greatness, spawned a new generation of wanna-be athletes, who looked to shoot first, pass...um....never. The NBA allowed younger and less mature athlete to come in to the league, with their immature feelings of entitlement, of never having to earn the millions they got paid without even playing a minute of college ball.

They advertised the exploits of punks showboats, from Shawn Kemp to Allen Iverson, from Vince Carter to Latrell Sprewell. We were supposed to believe that watching their pure talent was enough to make up for their behavior, their selfishness, and their greed.

Today's game couldn't be farther from what basketball was meant to be. A group of interchangable names try to get pushed by the NBA is the "new stars", while none are truly able to make it to the top. The last of the "name players" are fading, from Tim Duncan to Shaquille O-Neal, already new age players in an ever-changing league.

I watch "Hoosiers", and see the basketball I fell in love with.

I watch the NBA, and I see a bunch of punks playing streetball...no team spirit, no screens, no pick and rolls...just drive to the basket and complain if you miss and there isn't a foul.

Today's actions (http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/recap?gameId=241119008) cap it off for me. Ron Artest continues to get to play this game, despite having the personality profile of a convict.

The NBA is now reaping what they have sown. The market for what they are selling is rapidly decreasing. People don't want to watch this. Hype the playoffs as you may, the season is too long to watch this kind of drivel, and the playoffs seem even longer.

Want to fix it? Let's go back to being a professional organization, and like so many other professional occupations, you NEED a college degree to play. Make these kids tough it out in the college ranks against something better than high school competition. Let them play for conference titles, go through bracketville, maybe understand what it takes to win a NCAA championship. One hint: it ain't the ability to slam dunk a ball and grab your crotch at the same time.

The NFL has reported they are solidifying the rules that will prevent anyone 19 and younger from playing in the NFL. Let's all be thankful that the one sport we all CAN agree on is making some intelligent decisions.

I wonder if the NBA is looking at the NFL and wishing they had done the same thing ten years ago.

Ok I want you to think about if you were in Artests place. Ben Wallace just got done choking you for a foul that wasn't that bad. And now your laying down the scorers table ignoring whats going on even after Big Ben throws a towel at you. Yeah Artest has had alot of problems, but he tries and he tried to act classy after all that stuff happened then some idiot throws a beer bottle on him. Randys had problems and all us vikings fans love him. Yeah maybe it was wrong for Artest to do that... but i think most people put in the same situation would have acted the same way.
    so yeah eatingpieinbed some friends of mine http://www.purevolume.com/eatingpieinbed

enlvikeman is offline Hall of Famer

Demise of the NBA

Amen to that

"24 mil under the cap? there are teams 30 mil over the cap, heck that gives us at least 50 mil to spend"

CollegeGuyJeff circa 2006

Demise of the NBA

The players involved in the brawl last night need to be suspended for the rest of the season immediately! A line has to be drawn somewhere. If a fan throws a bottle or beer or whatever, let the law take care of them. When a player does what they did last night they need to be punished severely. They are supposed to be professionals and role models. They make me sick. In reality, they should be booted from the NBA just as Sprewell should have been a few years back when he choked his coach. These guys are getting paid millions to act like street thugs. Disgusting.
    Even babies know the difference.

Viking_Spirit is offline Star Spokesman

Demise of the NBA

I hope Artest gets his ass suspended for the rest of the season. This guy's a moron and deserves to get suspended that long.

What's this, like his 8th fight in the last 2 years? Last year he threw a video camera....got in some fights...and now this?

Enough is enough for this moron.

Guns don t kill people. Chuck Norris kills people.

SHOW-TIME is offline Pro-Bowler

Demise of the NBA

How long is indefinantly? Because thats what John Saunders just said.
    so yeah eatingpieinbed some friends of mine http://www.purevolume.com/eatingpieinbed

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast