Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 30
  1. #1
    Prophet Guest

    Del Rio infested with voles.

    Posted on Mon, May. 08, 2006
    Utah county infested with meadow voles
    Associated Press
    Link



    PROVO, Utah - Hundreds of small mouse-like creatures known as meadow voles are infesting a Utah county town where rapid growth has inadvertently created a haven for the rodents.

    The voles in north Lehi, about 30 miles south of Salt Lake City, are nesting in cars, climbing into window wells, scurrying down road gutters, running across feet and in general creating havoc. They're coming from empty fields, which used to be plowed and planted every year. Now the property is unused, waiting for development. That creates a problem, said Pat Fugal, Utah State University Extension Service senior horticultural assistant.

    "The tilling kills the voles and destroys their habitat, controlling the population," Fugal said.

    The brown furry rodents appear to be larger-than-average chubby mice with short tails. They are about six inches long and they do not know the meaning of shy.

    "The weird thing is they aren't afraid of you," resident Jill Clemens said. "They totally have run across my feet. They are fat and slow."

    She has tried a mice-killing chemical to get rid of the voles, but when some die, others invade her property replacing them.

    Her husband, Dave Clemens, rode a minibike into the neighboring field to see if he could figure out where the pests were coming from.

    "That entire field is infested with them," he said. "They are not timid. I pick them up with a shovel, bounce them around and chuck them back into the field."

    While the fields are untouched, the voles reproduce - rapidly. Voles have 10-12 litters a year with 5-10 young in each litter.

    Chris Burningham said she sees seven to eight voles on her property each day and has a neighbor who shoots at the invading voles with his BB gun.

    "We called the health department and they said to call animal control," Burningham said, adding that animal control couldn't help them either.

    Fugal said zinc phosphide, a poison for voles available at outdoor supply centers, will do the job. There are a few in the area who have already been able to use this method and put a stop to their vole problem.

    Scott Sampson found 20 voles dead in the window well of his home. He surfed the Internet to identify the little beasts and went to Intermountain Farmers Association for a cure.

    The clerk gave him a topical pellet poison which he used liberally. The result: No more voles.

    "We could actually see furrows in our lawn and they were getting in the window wells, from time to time running along the concrete," Sampson said.

    And then there are the cat owners who are enjoying an influx of cat "gifts."

    "They're doing great. There are dead carcasses everywhere," Danielle Wilson said of her three cats. "I've got one cat that killed eight in one day."


    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Information from: The Daily Herald, http://www.heraldextra.com

  2. #2
    Ltrey33 is offline Jersey Retired
    Join Date
    Dec 1969
    Posts
    8,618

    Re: Del Rio infested with voles.

    Man! Those are ugly!

  3. #3
    cajunvike's Avatar
    cajunvike is offline Jersey Retired
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Posts
    32,063

    Re: Del Rio infested with voles.

    "Prophet" wrote:
    Posted on Mon, May. 08, 2006
    Utah county infested with meadow voles
    Associated Press
    Link



    PROVO, Utah - Hundreds of small mouse-like creatures known as meadow voles are infesting a Utah county town where rapid growth has inadvertently created a haven for the rodents.

    The voles in north Lehi, about 30 miles south of Salt Lake City, are nesting in cars, climbing into window wells, scurrying down road gutters, running across feet and in general creating havoc. They're coming from empty fields, which used to be plowed and planted every year. Now the property is unused, waiting for development. That creates a problem, said Pat Fugal, Utah State University Extension Service senior horticultural assistant.

    "The tilling kills the voles and destroys their habitat, controlling the population," Fugal said.

    The brown furry rodents appear to be larger-than-average chubby mice with short tails. They are about six inches long and they do not know the meaning of shy.

    "The weird thing is they aren't afraid of you," resident Jill Clemens said. "They totally have run across my feet. They are fat and slow."

    She has tried a mice-killing chemical to get rid of the voles, but when some die, others invade her property replacing them.

    Her husband, Dave Clemens, rode a minibike into the neighboring field to see if he could figure out where the pests were coming from.

    "That entire field is infested with them," he said. "They are not timid. I pick them up with a shovel, bounce them around and chuck them back into the field."

    While the fields are untouched, the voles reproduce - rapidly. Voles have 10-12 litters a year with 5-10 young in each litter.
    Chris Burningham said she sees seven to eight voles on her property each day and has a neighbor who shoots at the invading voles with his BB gun.

    "We called the health department and they said to call animal control," Burningham said, adding that animal control couldn't help them either.

    Fugal said zinc phosphide, a poison for voles available at outdoor supply centers, will do the job. There are a few in the area who have already been able to use this method and put a stop to their vole problem.

    Scott Sampson found 20 voles dead in the window well of his home. He surfed the Internet to identify the little beasts and went to Intermountain Farmers Association for a cure.

    The clerk gave him a topical pellet poison which he used liberally. The result: No more voles.

    "We could actually see furrows in our lawn and they were getting in the window wells, from time to time running along the concrete," Sampson said.

    And then there are the cat owners who are enjoying an influx of cat "gifts."

    "They're doing great. There are dead carcasses everywhere," Danielle Wilson said of her three cats. "I've got one cat that killed eight in one day."


    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Information from: The Daily Herald, http://www.heraldextra.com
    Too bad they aren't MINKS...you could make a fortune!

    In Louisiana, they have a similar problem with nutria...the State actually offers a $4.00 per head bounty on the nutria...they destroy vegetation and clog up the waterways.
    BANNED OR DEAD...I'LL TAKE EITHER ONE

  4. #4
    Prophet Guest

    Re: Del Rio infested with voles.

    "cajunvike" wrote:
    Too bad they aren't MINKS...you could make a fortune!

    In Louisiana, they have a similar problem with nutria...the State actually offers a $4.00 per head bounty on the nutria...they destroy vegetation and clog up the waterways.
    Are nutria related to tepisquintle?


    tepisquintle

    They are tasty, ate those when I lived in Central America.


    nutria

  5. #5
    Ltrey33 is offline Jersey Retired
    Join Date
    Dec 1969
    Posts
    8,618

    Re: Del Rio infested with voles.

    "cajunvike" wrote:
    "Prophet" wrote:
    Posted on Mon, May. 08, 2006
    Utah county infested with meadow voles
    Associated Press
    Link



    PROVO, Utah - Hundreds of small mouse-like creatures known as meadow voles are infesting a Utah county town where rapid growth has inadvertently created a haven for the rodents.

    The voles in north Lehi, about 30 miles south of Salt Lake City, are nesting in cars, climbing into window wells, scurrying down road gutters, running across feet and in general creating havoc. They're coming from empty fields, which used to be plowed and planted every year. Now the property is unused, waiting for development. That creates a problem, said Pat Fugal, Utah State University Extension Service senior horticultural assistant.

    "The tilling kills the voles and destroys their habitat, controlling the population," Fugal said.

    The brown furry rodents appear to be larger-than-average chubby mice with short tails. They are about six inches long and they do not know the meaning of shy.

    "The weird thing is they aren't afraid of you," resident Jill Clemens said. "They totally have run across my feet. They are fat and slow."

    She has tried a mice-killing chemical to get rid of the voles, but when some die, others invade her property replacing them.

    Her husband, Dave Clemens, rode a minibike into the neighboring field to see if he could figure out where the pests were coming from.

    "That entire field is infested with them," he said. "They are not timid. I pick them up with a shovel, bounce them around and chuck them back into the field."

    While the fields are untouched, the voles reproduce - rapidly. Voles have 10-12 litters a year with 5-10 young in each litter.
    Chris Burningham said she sees seven to eight voles on her property each day and has a neighbor who shoots at the invading voles with his BB gun.

    "We called the health department and they said to call animal control," Burningham said, adding that animal control couldn't help them either.

    Fugal said zinc phosphide, a poison for voles available at outdoor supply centers, will do the job. There are a few in the area who have already been able to use this method and put a stop to their vole problem.

    Scott Sampson found 20 voles dead in the window well of his home. He surfed the Internet to identify the little beasts and went to Intermountain Farmers Association for a cure.

    The clerk gave him a topical pellet poison which he used liberally. The result: No more voles.

    "We could actually see furrows in our lawn and they were getting in the window wells, from time to time running along the concrete," Sampson said.

    And then there are the cat owners who are enjoying an influx of cat "gifts."

    "They're doing great. There are dead carcasses everywhere," Danielle Wilson said of her three cats. "I've got one cat that killed eight in one day."


    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Information from: The Daily Herald, http://www.heraldextra.com
    Too bad they aren't MINKS...you could make a fortune!

    In Louisiana, they have a similar problem with nutria...the State actually offers a $4.00 per head bounty on the nutria...they destroy vegetation and clog up the waterways.
    Holy moly....4 dollars a head?! I'd spend my life being a nutria bounty hunter!

  6. #6
    Del Rio Guest

    Re: Del Rio infested with voles.

    They had this huge thing on the news about these last night.

    I had to laugh at the article though about a guy taking them out with a pellet gun, not very time efficient.

    I would just run my riding lawn mower over them. You would kill em and fertilize your lawn.

    *edit* Of course for the tough to reach areas (windowells and such) you would want to use a weed eater, some goggles, and .80 wire in place of the plastic weed eater line *edit*

  7. #7
    BadlandsVikings's Avatar
    BadlandsVikings is offline Jersey Retired
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Posts
    26,567

    Re: Del Rio infested with voles.

    in the face, they look like a beaver.

  8. #8
    Webby's Avatar
    Webby is offline Administrator
    Join Date
    Aug 1998
    Location
    A, A
    Posts
    8,976
    Blog Entries
    6

    Re: Del Rio infested with voles.

    I just had to read this thread. Del Rio and voles makes for an amusing mix and topic.

  9. #9
    ultravikingfan's Avatar
    ultravikingfan is offline Administrator
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    NE Ohio
    Posts
    24,514

    Re: Del Rio infested with voles.

    Question...is that it's "bellybutton" or his "captain winky"? Just wondering.


  10. #10
    DCPologirl is offline Team Alumni
    Join Date
    Dec 1969
    Posts
    3,280

    Re: Del Rio infested with voles.

    They are a hell of a lot cuter than the huge rats living in my backyard! :evil:

    DCPologirl:Maybe Randy will make Aaron Brooks look better......roflmao Del Rio: I guarantee he will

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •