Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    NordicNed is offline Jersey Retired

For Del, and others who like to fish...

I'll be heading out tomorrow AM for some to these beauties...Blackfish, but they are also called Togs......

Saltwater, and the main bait used is Crabs, or sandworms...

Very tough fish for their size, but man do they taste great.........

Here is a link of the spot I will be going to.....and some pics of guys that go to a site I frequent... www.ctfisherman.com

http://www.ctfisherman.com/ubb/ultimatebb.php/ubb/get_topic/f/8/t/004688.html

I LOVE THE SMELL OF VICTORY IN THE MORNING AIR.

Del Rio Guest

Re: For Del, and others who like to fish...

You lucky dog. Raining here the rivers are high, fast, and muddy from Mountain run off. Got 12' of snow in the mountains last night. About the only thing biting right now is trout.

Those fish remind me of a fish I was catching in Florida...a sheep head...I think it is slang for the area but I am not sure. Sort of looks like a huge Bluegill/sunfish.

Man that looks like a great time. Fishing with live crabs would be interesting, no live bait allowed in Utah. In Florida I used live shrimp and it took a while to get used to. Sounds fun you better take some pics.

cajunvike is offline Jersey Retired

[quote="Del Rio"]

Those fish remind me of a fish I was catching in Florida...a sheep head...[quote]

Sounds like the offspring of an ewe and a Packer fan!!! :lol:
    BANNED OR DEAD...I'LL TAKE EITHER ONE

Del,

The crabs are alive, till I cut them in half, LOL>>>>

Thats how we rig them, but the hardest part about catching Tog is, when you feal the first bite DON'T set the hook yet....

I usually wait till I feal that 3rd bite, then wamo set it hard....These fish have lips like leather, because they mainly feed on coral beds and muscles,crabs ect....

They have these big molar type teeth in the back of the mouth that they crush their food with.....

The first bit is them just picking it up, by the third, it's in the back of the mouth being crushed, thats why you have to wait....
    I took a friend once, big time bass fisherman, but he wouldn't listen and got skunked, he would try to slam home the hook set ever bit he got. He got pissed every time I hooked up......Just couldn't get that quick respons you need for bass out of his blood..

No digital camera now, but I'll have plenty over the summer for ya....How about some 100 lb plus shark pictures?...

Now thats fishing.......and yes, there called sheepshead........what you where catching.....big in the Carolinas also

VKG4LFE is offline Jersey Retired Tetris Champion, Monkey GO Happy 4 Champion

We used to catch sheep head in Minny when we were little and then play baseball with them! When they exploded they were pretty nasty!! lol Or were they bull heads? I can't remember!!

I get the most pissed off looks from people with my VKG 4 LFE Wisconsin license plate, and I LOVE IT!!

Del Rio Guest

Ones a catfish. :grin:

We used to take small channel cats and throw them at wood fences they would stick in it like darts.

On my Florida trip my grandpa took me fishing this was a few years ago. Never been fishing in the sea so it was fun. I caught an angelfish, a bunch of sheep head, and a shark. Small sand shark or something only about 8lbs.

Also I used a thing called a casting net. Got really good at it. They are pretty much illegal here in Utah but when I went back to Illinois with my wife they sold them at Wal-Mart there. I bought one. I guess they are mainly used to catch minnows to fish with. But when the Bonneville Cisco run up here I can use mine.

Another fishing story....I was trolling for lake trout with my downriggers. We had caught a bunch of Rainbows and Cutthroats there were a few for dinner on a stringer 5 of them. By brother was playing with the stringer (he was bored) he let it go. He was so sad. He lost all the fish. When I reeled in my line I had hooked the stringer and caught the fish back.

I caught a 31" 10lb lake trout that day too. I also almost died because Bear lake is HUGE and we were in my 14' aluminum boat. A huge storm came up. White cappin. We made it back. My dog was shaken

duffVIkEs is offline Pro-Bowler

This winter break I went with my family in Cabo on a fishing trip. I caught my first marlin, it was huuge! Took me about 45 minutes to reel in, at the weigh station it came to 214 lbs. And looked to be about 9 feet long. I got a pic right here

LuckyVike is offline Team Alumni

Man, that's huge! Congrats on that catch man, 45 minutes had to wear you out.

Which one of those are you Duff?
    The best part of my day is when I get down on my knees, with my head in my hands, and thank GOD for everything he has given me.

Nice Marlin Dude,

can you tell us what you where using? What where you trolling?...Jet Heads? Rigged Ballyho?......Do you remember?...

Congrats on one fine fish.....Awesome

BBQ Platypus is offline Team Alumni

"VikingNed" wrote:
    Nice Marlin Dude,

can you tell us what you where using? What where you trolling?...Jet Heads? Rigged Ballyho?......Do you remember?...

Congrats on one fine fish.....Awesome
    Yeah, I'd like to know what kind of bait you were using (I hope it wasn't anyone that I know. :lol: )

"This is my timey-wimey detector. It goes ding when there's stuff."

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast