Thread: December 7th

Schutz is offline Team Alumni

December 7th

I think everybody should take a little time out of their day today and remember the servicemen who died for out country this day sixty six years ago in Pearl Harbor.
    That is all.

Re: December 7th

Thank you Schutz.
    We all need reminders, "Freedom isn't free" :'(

COJOMAY is offline Jersey Retired

I have given thanks to God for all those who have fought and are fighting so hard to keep this country free.
    Kentucky Vikes Fan

When you require nothing, you get nothing; when you expect nothing, you will find nothing; when you embrace nothing, all you will have is nothing.

NodakPaul is offline Jersey Retired
    Blog Entries

"Schutz" wrote:
    I think everybody should take a little time out of their day today and remember the servicemen who died for out country this day sixty six years ago in Pearl Harbor.
    That is all.
    QFT
    Zeus wrote:
    When are you going to realize that picking out the 20 bad throws this year and ignoring the 300 good ones does not make your point?

=Z=

BadlandsVikings is offline Jersey Retired

Thanks for the reminder, I forgot that was today

[img width=450 height=364]http://www.haughty.us/blog/images/pearl-harbor.jpg[/img]

Schutz is offline Team Alumni

The 60th anniversary of the bombing of Pearl Harbor was commemorated December 7th 2001. The number of veterans who were present during the bombing and who were participating in the 60th commemoration had diminished significantly from those who participated in the 50th commemoration. Most of the veterans that were interviewed during the 60th felt that it would be their last visit to Pearl Harbor due to illness and old age.

We lost another of these veterans January 6th 2002. Al Bruene was the gun captain for the number one gun on gun turret number three on the USS ARIZONA. He learned after the bombing that he was the only survivor from gun turret number one, the first of four 14-inch gun turrets on the ship. Al’s family, on their farm in Friedheim Missouri, were told that he was killed during the bombing. They held a memorial service for him. Three months later they were surprised and pleased to see Al as he returned home on leave. The Pastor officiating at Al’s funeral said that this was the first time he had officiated at a second funeral for someone. Such was the confusion that immediately followed the bombing of Pearl Harbor. The following are some of Al’s remembrances which he wrote to commemorate the 50th anniversary of the Pearl Harbor bombing.

“Most who will read this were not even born then, and to many, it is just a footnote in history. We should however, regardless of age, learn about this milestone in the history of our country and as a demonstration of our patriotism remember the 2,403 Americans (2,008 sailors; 218 soldiers; 109 marines; and 68 civilians) who paid the ultimate price in courage for their country. Another 1,175 were wounded. Eight US Warships were sunk or capsized, 13 other ships were damaged. We lost 169 aircraft and 159 more sustained damage. All but 29 of the attacking planes returned to their carriers. From a United States viewpoint, a disproportionate loss ratio.

Hawaii of fifty years ago was quite different from the Hawaii of today. The recreational area in Pearl Harbor consisted of a small corrugated iron building that dispensed beer and other light refreshments. We dubbed it the “Tin Roof”. To get to Honolulu from Pearl Harbor, we usually rode the narrow gauge railroad, now long gone. Roads and streets were not greatly developed. Hawaii was a laid back tropical island in those days. Outside of Honolulu, most houses were small, framed and built about four feet off the ground. The train we rode into town was the same type used to gather and transport sugar can and pineapples.

The fleet had set sail for Hawaii on 2 April, 1940. I was attached to the Battleship USS ARIZONA, assigned to the First Division and my battle station was gun captain of No. One gun in the No. One 14-inch turret. What an exciting experience for this youngster from Southeast Missouri. I’m not sure I had ever even heard of Pearl Harbor before.

We spent two exciting years operating out of Pearl Harbor prior to the attack. The routine was two weeks at sea and one week in port. For the first time in nearly two years, our operating schedule was altered that December. We entered port in the late afternoon of December 5, 1941 and for the first and only time, all three battleship divisions were in port simultaneously.

That Sunday morning “Pappy” Duncan (also in the First Division) and I were on the quarter-deck waiting to be relieved on watch, both of us having the four-to-eight. It was about 0730 when we saw the planes coming through the passes in the mountains and assumed one of our aircraft carriers was entering port. They, however, were soon strafing and bombing. Within minutes the ARIZONA had lost all power when the forward ammunition magazines exploded. The ship began to sink and we were ordered to abandon ship. Some jumped into the harbor while others of us crawled onto the quay we were moored to and from there walked a huge dredge pipe to Ford Island. Later I was assigned to the destroyer USS ALYWINN and went to the South Pacific on patrol.

Maybe memory fades as years pass. Maybe the terror and horror become less vivid with time. I don’t know. Acts of heroism that day were many and not all recorded. Why some survived while others perished can only be attributed to the marvel of God’s will. The ARIZONA had been my home for nearly three years; the division shipmates were family. To lose both within minutes was hard to accept, but fortunately, circumstances did not allow one to dwell on one’s loss. The war had started.

Fly your flag. Remember Pearl Harbor; and if some day you are in Hawaii, go visit the USS ARIZONA Memorial erected over the rusting remains of the ARIZONA. Read the names of the 1,177 friends and shipmates entombed within the rusting hull as their final resting place.”

Alvin Harry Bruene September 7, 1918 to January 6, 2002

Garland Greene is offline Jersey Retired

I totally forgot that was today as well.

[youtube=425,350]HAnOtWm5OrM[/youtube]

VikingMike is offline Jersey Retired

"Schutz" wrote:
    That is all.

Nice job, thanks for the reminder.
    Any man who afflicts the human race with ideas must be prepared to see them misunderstood. - H.L. Mencken

Come from the land of the ice and snow...