Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: Davinci Code

Schleppy is offline Starter

Re: Davinci Code

Hi, been reading all the post because I loved this book. I read awhile ago and finally got it back from numerous borrowers. I cant wait to see the movie. I loved national treasurer and bought the dvd. I have been a soul searcher for years. I was raised Lutheran and coverted to Catholism a few years ago. I've read books from Hindu to Islam. I am no theologist by any means, just looking for answers. Man wrote the Bible and a man wrote this Novel, man makes mistakes when writing history. If you go to the reluctant messenger website, it is loaded with information I found very useful and interesting. The author has some great "ideas" on why and how we are here. If interested , check it out. But back to the movie/book. Dan Brown, in my opinion, writes for the average reader. I think that why he sold so many books.(plus its interesting to people). I have read all four books by Brown, Angels and Demons, Deception Point and Digital Fortress. Nice reads for the average reader. With A&D. the time lapse between sceens in the book were a little unrealistic, but a great story though. So I guess people just need to to realize, this is just a NOVEL...read and enjoy...peace out......ps. the book also lead me to other interesting books.

PurplePeopleEaters is offline Jersey Retired

"VKG4LFE" wrote:
    "ultravikingfan" wrote:
    Just saw the movie, not bad. I like movies like this; kinda like National Treasure.

I like long movies too. For the $8.50 per ticket I need to get my $$$ worth.

I cannot wait until Miami Vice the movie comes out!

If it's kinda like that I will love it. National Treasure was awesome!
    I love movies like that too. National treasure was awesome.

Ltrey33 is offline Jersey Retired

"bigdaddy72_1" wrote:
    The book's linguistic composition is by no means anything that merits the praise that is attached to the authors that have been mentioned in this thread. However, Brown is a great writer because of his approach to literature. It follows in the footsteps of Shakespeare. They both take events and knowledge, and put their own spin on it. The fact that the book is engaging is what makes it great, not Brown's use of blank verse, personification, solilique, etc. All of which have made an exit from most modern literature.

BBQ Platypus wrote:
    I only read two chapters of the book before I threw it away. The story may or may not have been engaging, but I didn't care, because it was the most poorly-written book I have ever read. Then again, I'm used to Beowulf, Faulkner, and Hemingway.

I've actually read lots of reviews that say the movie sucks. Thoughts?

I have a friend who said it was poorly written too. She said it was really simple, and she and I had the same experience as you BBQ. I had AP English with her last year, and after you read Jane Austen, Mary Shelley and Oscar Wilde for a year there are a lot of books that seem poorly written.
    Wow, AP English, thank you for gracing us with your presence. This was a nice jab at establishing your credibility surrounding the subject. So if you wanna play, I am a Senior in English...college. Not that I have any more validity than any other person on this forum, but if you think that AP English puts you in a superior position to criticize, you should probably go ask your teacher for help, because it seems you have your head way up your a$$.
    Hey buddy, there's no need to be a dick about it. I wasn't suggesting that I only read the classics...I read Star Wars novels for cripes sakes! I'm just saying that a lot of reading can pale in comparison to some really good authors.

I didn't intend to sound arrogant, so don't act like a smartass.

People need to remember one thing.....it's a FICTIONAL story...

I liked the movie. All these religious groups that are protesting in front of movie theaters need to get a life........
    I ll be dead and cold before I m green and gold

Thanks to PPE for sig

"vikesoto" wrote:

I liked the movie. All these religious groups that are protesting in front of movie theaters need to get a life........
    Totally agree. My brother hates the book because he thinks it's anti-christian. I try to tell him it's fiction and it's just a fun thing to ponder. Keep in mind that my brother is a liberal activist. How the heck does that work? :???: :???: :lol:

boognish is offline Coordinator

"PurplePeopleEaters" wrote:
    "vikesoto" wrote:

Totally agree. My brother hates the book because he thinks it's anti-christian. I try to tell him it's fiction and it's just a fun thing to ponder. Keep in mind that my brother is a liberal activist. How the heck does that work? :???: :???: :lol:
    Wow, that is a strange juxtaposition of ideas; it's not often that you find a liberal activist/religious apologist. :shock:
    I am a dipshit!!!

"boognish" wrote:
    "vikesoto" wrote:

Wow, that is a strange juxtaposition of ideas; it's not often that you find a liberal activist/religious apologist. :shock:
    Yeah that's what I'm thinking. It's a really weird mix I must say.

BradTheMan14 is offline Starter

the movie is better than the book. it doesnt take as long to watch it rather than read that whole long book by dan brown. i thought the movie was very interesting and exciting. that one pale blonde guy plays a really good bad guy also. the movie overall was good, a 8.5/10. the acting was good. i would recommend seeing it. it's worth it.
    Q: At your age, can you handle a full season?
    A: I m 37, number one. I took my family to Perkins a couple of days ago, and they didn t hand me a senior citizens discount card, so I feel pretty good.
    (Brad Johnson at an interview before the start of the season)

ItalianStallion is offline Jersey Retired

"vikesoto" wrote:

Just because it's fiction doesn't mean it can't offend people. If someone wrote a fictional story about how the holocaust never happened and gave historical 'facts', and how it was some big anti-nazi conspiracy, a lot of people would be rightfully offended. Personnally, the arguments used in this book were too stupid and implausible for me to even consider being offended, but when you see growing anti-christian sentiment among the historically/religiously ignorant because they believe that this fiction is 'fact', then you certainly can understand where people are coming from.

I m like a Ja Rule poster, cause I'm off the wall.

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345