Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: Davinci Code

boognish is offline Coordinator

Re: Davinci Code

"bigdaddy72_1" wrote:
    The book's linguistic composition is by no means anything that merits the praise that is attached to the authors that have been mentioned in this thread. However, Brown is a great writer because of his approach to literature. It follows in the footsteps of Shakespeare. They both take events and knowledge, and put their own spin on it. The fact that the book is engaging is what makes it great, not Brown's use of blank verse, personification, solilique, etc. All of which have made an exit from most modern literature.

BBQ Platypus wrote:
    I only read two chapters of the book before I threw it away. The story may or may not have been engaging, but I didn't care, because it was the most poorly-written book I have ever read. Then again, I'm used to Beowulf, Faulkner, and Hemingway.

I've actually read lots of reviews that say the movie sucks. Thoughts?

I have a friend who said it was poorly written too. She said it was really simple, and she and I had the same experience as you BBQ. I had AP English with her last year, and after you read Jane Austen, Mary Shelley and Oscar Wilde for a year there are a lot of books that seem poorly written.
    Wow, AP English, thank you for gracing us with your presence. This was a nice jab at establishing your credibility surrounding the subject. So if you wanna play, I am a Senior in English...college. Not that I have any more validity than any other person on this forum, but if you think that AP English puts you in a superior position to criticize, you should probably go ask your teacher for help, because it seems you have your head way up your a$$.
    :lol: Yeah, it sounds a little pretentious when people claim to only be interested in the "classics" (i.e. Wilde, Austen, Beowolf, Faulkner...see above). I certainly enjoy the classics too, but I like to dive into a "brain candy" novel from time to time and don't look down my nose at that kind of writing. While I'm sure you could tear apart Dan Brown's literary stylings, the man knows how to spin a good yarn; I've found both of his books thoroughly engaging and I'm looking forward to seeing this movie.

Gotta remember, Shakespeare was considered "lowbrow" back in his day; now we see him as a great artist.
    I am a dipshit!!!

bigdaddy72_1 is offline Starter

Here here boognish!

PurplePeopleEaters
    Linguistics and writing go hand in hand. If a book is hard to read because it is worded badly and doesn't sound good, then it is poorly written. The plot was too good for me to not like it but if it were a different kind of book I would have thrown it away.
    Linguistics, plot, among other things are parts of book. So one cannot make or break the whole.

Example: JT O'Sullivan is a part of the Vikings, but he is not the only person.

PurplePeopleEaters is offline Jersey Retired

"bigdaddy72_1" wrote:
    Here here boognish!

PurplePeopleEaters
    Linguistics and writing go hand in hand. If a book is hard to read because it is worded badly and doesn't sound good, then it is poorly written. The plot was too good for me to not like it but if it were a different kind of book I would have thrown it away.
    Linguistics, plot, among other things are parts of book. So one cannot make or break the whole.

Example: JT O'Sullivan is a part of the Vikings, but he is not the only person.
    No, JT O'Sullivan is not a big part of the vikings. It's more like if JT were a starter on the vikings. That may ruin the whole team. Get what I'm saying?

I never said his linguistics messed up the book. I loved the book.

i_bleed_purple is offline Jersey Retired
    Blog Entries

yes, but JT o'sullivan is such a tiny part of the vikings that he is completely irrelevant. if a book has a terrible plot, but has good wording, then it is a bad book, nothing else can make up for that. however if JT O'sullivan is a brutal QB(he is), there are 22 starters who can make up for that and another 22 second stringers who also make up for that.

boognish is offline Coordinator

"PurplePeopleEaters" wrote:
    "bigdaddy72_1" wrote:
    If people think the book is poorly written, please elaborate.
    It isn't good writing. How much more can I elaborate. It's obvious the guy is not the best linguist.

He writes things like "'Good move' she said in french." That just sounds stupid if you know what I mean.
    How would you rather see that setence phrased? Perhaps, "'Quite well done' she elaborated in her French dialect'". At some point authors need to write as people speak if their words are to have any relevancy with modern audiences. Have you ever read Catcher in the Rye? The power of that novel was mostly attributable to its use of "modern" language and a "stream of consciousness" style of writing. It just wouldn't have worked had it used a more classic, structured literary style.

You're certainly entitled to your opinion regarding this book though; I'm just interested in what qualifies as "good writing" in your mind. Please let us know.
    I am a dipshit!!!

PurplePeopleEaters is offline Jersey Retired

"boognish" wrote:
    "PurplePeopleEaters" wrote:
    "bigdaddy72_1" wrote:
    If people think the book is poorly written, please elaborate.
    It isn't good writing. How much more can I elaborate. It's obvious the guy is not the best linguist.

He writes things like "'Good move' she said in french." That just sounds stupid if you know what I mean.
    How would you rather see that setence phrased? Perhaps, "'Quite well done' she elaborated in her French dialect'". At some point authors need to write as people speak if their words are to have any relevancy with modern audiences. Have you ever read Catcher in the Rye? The power of that novel was mostly attributable to its use of "modern" language and a "stream of consciousness" style of writing. It just wouldn't have worked had it used a more classic, structured literary style.

You're certainly entitled to your opinion regarding this book though; I'm just interested in what qualifies as "good writing" in your mind. Please elaborate.
    Just have her say it in english. It's so much easier. :roll:

VKG4LFE is offline Jersey Retired Tetris Champion, Monkey GO Happy 4 Champion

"Mr-holland" wrote:
    I'm still reading the book.
    i think watching the movie goes way faster
    Sweet sig.

Hopefully I'll see this movie soon.

I get the most pissed off looks from people with my VKG 4 LFE Wisconsin license plate, and I LOVE IT!!

ultravikingfan is offline Administrator

Just saw the movie, not bad. I like movies like this; kinda like National Treasure.

I like long movies too. For the $8.50 per ticket I need to get my $$$ worth.

I cannot wait until Miami Vice the movie comes out!

VKG4LFE is offline Jersey Retired Tetris Champion, Monkey GO Happy 4 Champion

"ultravikingfan" wrote:
    Just saw the movie, not bad. I like movies like this; kinda like National Treasure.

I like long movies too. For the $8.50 per ticket I need to get my $$$ worth.

I cannot wait until Miami Vice the movie comes out!

If it's kinda like that I will love it. National Treasure was awesome!

I get the most pissed off looks from people with my VKG 4 LFE Wisconsin license plate, and I LOVE IT!!

YogidAbEAR is offline Star Spokesman

national treasure was pretty good, i may go see this divinci code

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast