Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Results 21 to 30 of 49

Thread: Davinci Code

  1. #21
    PurplePeopleEaters's Avatar
    PurplePeopleEaters is offline Jersey Retired
    Join Date
    Dec 1969
    Posts
    6,901

    Re: Davinci Code

    I haven't seen the movie yet but I read the book earlier this year and loved it. I'm expecting something similiar from the movie.

    The book was very poorly written but it kept me engaged because it was just a great read.

    I'm reading angels and demons now. Similiar read but not as good of a book.

  2. #22
    bigdaddy72_1's Avatar
    bigdaddy72_1 is offline Starter
    Join Date
    Dec 1969
    Posts
    209

    Re: Davinci Code

    If people think the book is poorly written, please elaborate.

  3. #23
    PurplePeopleEaters's Avatar
    PurplePeopleEaters is offline Jersey Retired
    Join Date
    Dec 1969
    Posts
    6,901

    Re: Davinci Code

    "bigdaddy72_1" wrote:
    If people think the book is poorly written, please elaborate.
    It isn't good writing. How much more can I elaborate. It's obvious the guy is not the best linguist.

    He writes things like "'Good move' she said in french." That just sounds stupid if you know what I mean.

  4. #24
    NodakPaul's Avatar
    NodakPaul is offline Jersey Retired
    Join Date
    Dec 1969
    Location
    West Fargo, ND
    Posts
    17,602
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: Davinci Code

    "PurplePeopleEaters" wrote:
    I haven't seen the movie yet but I read the book earlier this year and loved it. I'm expecting something similiar from the movie.

    The book was very poorly written but it kept me engaged because it was just a great read.

    I'm reading angels and demons now. Similiar read but not as good of a book.
    I read Angels and Demons first, and thought it was a better read. I think one book will always taint your opinion of the other because the plots are so ectremely similar.

    Anyway, I won't go so far as to say it is a poorly written book. I think the measure of a book isn't the the linquistic skill poured into it, but rather the way that it captivtes its reader. Both A&D and Code do this very well. Brown has other books out there that use the same type of conspiracy/secret revealed plot that don't read nearly as well.
    Zeus wrote:
    When are you going to realize that picking out the 20 bad throws this year and ignoring the 300 good ones does not make your point?

    =Z=

  5. #25
    bigdaddy72_1's Avatar
    bigdaddy72_1 is offline Starter
    Join Date
    Dec 1969
    Posts
    209

    Re: Davinci Code

    "PurplePeopleEaters" wrote:
    "bigdaddy72_1" wrote:
    If people think the book is poorly written, please elaborate.
    It isn't good writing. How much more can I elaborate. It's obvious the guy is not the best linguist.

    He writes things like "'Good move' she said in french." That just sounds stupid if you know what I mean.
    So you are saying that the book is not a great example of lunguistics. That is different than saying that the book is poorly written. Because there is something there that lead to you enjoying it. Generalizations are simply not a good tool when analyzing any work of art.

  6. #26
    PurplePeopleEaters's Avatar
    PurplePeopleEaters is offline Jersey Retired
    Join Date
    Dec 1969
    Posts
    6,901

    Re: Davinci Code

    "NodakPaul" wrote:
    "PurplePeopleEaters" wrote:
    I haven't seen the movie yet but I read the book earlier this year and loved it. I'm expecting something similiar from the movie.

    The book was very poorly written but it kept me engaged because it was just a great read.

    I'm reading angels and demons now. Similiar read but not as good of a book.
    I read Angels and Demons first, and thought it was a better read. I think one book will always taint your opinion of the other because the plots are so ectremely similar.

    Anyway, I won't go so far as to say it is a poorly written book. I think the measure of a book isn't the the linquistic skill poured into it, but rather the way that it captivtes its reader. Both A&D and Code do this very well. Brown has other books out there that use the same type of conspiracy/secret revealed plot that don't read nearly as well.
    Well I'm still in the middle of A&D so I can't really judge it yet. I'm at the earth killing right now so I'm not even close to the climax of the book.

    I don't think Brown is a HORRIBLE writer I just think that he could have worded things better. I love The way he keeps the reader hanging and the way he keeps the book flowing so you can't put it down.

  7. #27
    bigdaddy72_1's Avatar
    bigdaddy72_1 is offline Starter
    Join Date
    Dec 1969
    Posts
    209

    Re: Davinci Code

    So his books are not poorly written, they just simpy do not contain mentionable lunguistic content.

  8. #28
    ItalianStallion's Avatar
    ItalianStallion is offline Jersey Retired
    Join Date
    Dec 1969
    Posts
    6,615

    Re: Davinci Code

    I saw the movie yesterday, and I thought it was ok. It wasn't as bad as some of the reviews have said (mostly due to all the hype it received), but it got pretty dull after a couple hours. Not to mention a lot of the arguments they used are pretty fantastical, incorrect, unfounded or incomplete. But then again, it's fiction right ? I just hate it when people with little knowledge of history or the catholic church treat it as fact.

    I would give it a 7/10


    I m like a Ja Rule poster, cause I'm off the wall.

  9. #29
    PurplePeopleEaters's Avatar
    PurplePeopleEaters is offline Jersey Retired
    Join Date
    Dec 1969
    Posts
    6,901

    Re: Davinci Code

    "bigdaddy72_1" wrote:
    "PurplePeopleEaters" wrote:
    "bigdaddy72_1" wrote:
    If people think the book is poorly written, please elaborate.
    It isn't good writing. How much more can I elaborate. It's obvious the guy is not the best linguist.

    He writes things like "'Good move' she said in french." That just sounds stupid if you know what I mean.
    So you are saying that the book is not a great example of lunguistics. That is different than saying that the book is poorly written. Because there is something there that lead to you enjoying it. Generalizations are simply not a good tool when analyzing any work of art.
    Linguistics and writing go hand in hand. If a book is hard to read because it is worded badly and doesn't sound good, then it is poorly written. The plot was too good for me to not like it but if it were a different kind of book I would have thrown it away.

  10. #30
    vikeswin2005's Avatar
    vikeswin2005 is offline Hall of Famer
    Join Date
    Dec 1969
    Posts
    1,641

    Re: Davinci Code

    this movie was not as good as I expected some real dll moments and too long

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Wep Code?
    By DaVizzles in forum Help / Suggestion Box
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 01-12-2008, 10:32 AM
  2. Help with A CODE
    By Eyedea in forum The Clubhouse
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 05-18-2006, 05:34 PM
  3. what are these code for??
    By magicci in forum Help / Suggestion Box
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 02-06-2006, 09:10 PM
  4. The Man Code
    By TATEone in forum The Clubhouse
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 04-21-2005, 08:29 PM

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •