Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Davinci Code

PurplePeopleEaters is offline Jersey Retired

Re: Davinci Code

I haven't seen the movie yet but I read the book earlier this year and loved it. I'm expecting something similiar from the movie.

The book was very poorly written but it kept me engaged because it was just a great read.

I'm reading angels and demons now. Similiar read but not as good of a book.

bigdaddy72_1 is offline Starter

If people think the book is poorly written, please elaborate.

"bigdaddy72_1" wrote:
    It isn't good writing. How much more can I elaborate. It's obvious the guy is not the best linguist.

He writes things like "'Good move' she said in french." That just sounds stupid if you know what I mean.

NodakPaul is offline Jersey Retired
    Blog Entries

"PurplePeopleEaters" wrote:
    I haven't seen the movie yet but I read the book earlier this year and loved it. I'm expecting something similiar from the movie.

The book was very poorly written but it kept me engaged because it was just a great read.

I read Angels and Demons first, and thought it was a better read. I think one book will always taint your opinion of the other because the plots are so ectremely similar.

Anyway, I won't go so far as to say it is a poorly written book. I think the measure of a book isn't the the linquistic skill poured into it, but rather the way that it captivtes its reader. Both A&D and Code do this very well. Brown has other books out there that use the same type of conspiracy/secret revealed plot that don't read nearly as well.
    Zeus wrote:
    When are you going to realize that picking out the 20 bad throws this year and ignoring the 300 good ones does not make your point?

=Z=

"bigdaddy72_1" wrote:
    It isn't good writing. How much more can I elaborate. It's obvious the guy is not the best linguist.

He writes things like "'Good move' she said in french." That just sounds stupid if you know what I mean.
    So you are saying that the book is not a great example of lunguistics. That is different than saying that the book is poorly written. Because there is something there that lead to you enjoying it. Generalizations are simply not a good tool when analyzing any work of art.

"NodakPaul" wrote:

I read Angels and Demons first, and thought it was a better read. I think one book will always taint your opinion of the other because the plots are so ectremely similar.

Anyway, I won't go so far as to say it is a poorly written book. I think the measure of a book isn't the the linquistic skill poured into it, but rather the way that it captivtes its reader. Both A&D and Code do this very well. Brown has other books out there that use the same type of conspiracy/secret revealed plot that don't read nearly as well.
    Well I'm still in the middle of A&D so I can't really judge it yet. I'm at the earth killing right now so I'm not even close to the climax of the book.

I don't think Brown is a HORRIBLE writer I just think that he could have worded things better. I love The way he keeps the reader hanging and the way he keeps the book flowing so you can't put it down.

So his books are not poorly written, they just simpy do not contain mentionable lunguistic content.

ItalianStallion is offline Jersey Retired

I saw the movie yesterday, and I thought it was ok. It wasn't as bad as some of the reviews have said (mostly due to all the hype it received), but it got pretty dull after a couple hours. Not to mention a lot of the arguments they used are pretty fantastical, incorrect, unfounded or incomplete. But then again, it's fiction right ? I just hate it when people with little knowledge of history or the catholic church treat it as fact.

I would give it a 7/10

I m like a Ja Rule poster, cause I'm off the wall.

"bigdaddy72_1" wrote:
    "bigdaddy72_1" wrote:

So you are saying that the book is not a great example of lunguistics. That is different than saying that the book is poorly written. Because there is something there that lead to you enjoying it. Generalizations are simply not a good tool when analyzing any work of art.
    Linguistics and writing go hand in hand. If a book is hard to read because it is worded badly and doesn't sound good, then it is poorly written. The plot was too good for me to not like it but if it were a different kind of book I would have thrown it away.

vikeswin2005 is offline Hall of Famer

this movie was not as good as I expected some real dll moments and too long

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast