Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Dark Knight

PurplePeopleEaters is offline Jersey Retired

Re: Dark Knight

jmcdon00 is offline Jersey Retired Snake Champion, Moto Trial Fest 2: Mountain Pack Champion, LL City Truck 2 Champion, Arithmetic sequence Champion, Troops Tower Defense Champion

I have a hard time believing that a movies based on a comic book could really be that good, but I guess I have to see it now. Thanks everyone, especially BBQ, great review.

happy camper is offline Team Alumni

"jmcdon00" wrote:
    I have a hard time believing that a movies based on a comic book could really be that good, but I guess I have to see it now. Thanks everyone, especially BBQ, great review.
    It doens't feel like a comic book movie. It feels like a crime movie with really eccentric characters.
    "There is good and there is evil. And evil must be punished. Even in the face of Armageddon I will not compromise."

Vikes_King is offline Jersey Retired

"BBQ" wrote:
    I went to a midnight screening last night.
    The theater was absolutely PACKED.
    The movie was showing in nine theaters - SEVEN of those showings were sold out by the time I ordered my tickets, and the one I ended up going to was about 80-90% full.
    So I knew the fanboys were going to be out in force (the blue Mustang with the "JEDI" vanity plate that I saw in the parking lot was my first clue).
    But honest to God, entering the lobby was like walking into a goddamn comic book convention.
    It seemed like half the people there were wearing costumes.
    I almost felt like a schmuck for not wearing clown makeup...almost.

Still, I felt like a bit of a fanboy myself.
    I'd been waiting to see this movie for over a year.
    The rational part of me kept saying "Now, now - curb your enthusiasm just a LITTLE bit, BBQ. You won't be disappointed and you'll enjoy it more if you do."
    But it was to no avail - deep down, I knew that this was going to be the greatest thing to happen to movies since they added sound.
    I sat down in the theater a good 45 minutes before midnight, fully ready for this movie to make me its beeyatch.

And boy, did it ever.
    I think I can safely say without any hint of exaggeration that I want to bear this movie's child.
    All the buildup, all the hype - it was all justified.
    Anyone who thinks that the Oscar buzz surrounding Heath Ledger is just shameless hype and exploitation of his tragic death can prepare to eat their words.
    Because they were NOT EFFING LYING.
    Dear God, Heath Ledger was spectacular.
    He was captivating from the moment he was introduced - but to me, the scene with the "magic trick" was the part where he really seemed to "arrive."
    I never really paid much attention to his career before, but after watching him in this movie, I already miss the hell out of him.
    I have no idea how they're going to replace him (if that is what they intend to do).

Make no mistake - the Joker as he appears in TDK is the true, definitive version of the character.
    THIS is who the Joker really is - I just didn't know it until last night.
    From now on, when people think of the Joker, they will think of Heath Ledger in The Dark Knight.
    All other portrayals of him - whether it be Jack Nicholson in the original Batman, Cesar Romero in the TV series, or Mark Hammill in TAS (which up to this point had been my favorite) - simply pale by comparison.
    The reason is simple - the others seemed to stay within predictable boundaries (although to be fair, the limits on content in Saturday Morning cartoons came into play in Hammill's case).
    This Joker doesn't play by any rules - he has no boundaries or qualms whatsoever.
    That's what makes him so scary.

Of course, there's much more to this movie than just his amazing performance.
    The ensemble cast turns in great performances all around (seriously, why the hell hasn't Christian Bale even been NOMINATED for an Oscar yet?), and Christopher Nolan's direction is superb.
    And the storyline is superbly dramatic, compelling, and intense, managing to be both uplifting and profoundly tragic at the same time.
    I really liked the way the film kept building momentum as the story progressed, getting better and better with every minute.
    And it has a lot to say as well (but I don't want to spoil anything by revealing any of the themes to you - the movie does it way better than I could).
    Really, together with Batman Begins, it just makes other superhero movies look downright silly by comparison.

I have but two complaints about my experience.
    First, there were about elevnty jillion trailers in front of the movie.
    While I understand why the various studios would want this kind of advertising space (since gol 'darnit near everybody in the country is going to see this movie), I found it pretty irritating that I had to sit through 20 minutes of trailers (and ...ugh...straight-up advertisements).
    On the plus side, most of them were for movies I look forward to seeing (the new Bond movie, Watchmen, and Terminator 4, which I refuse to refer to by the godawful title they've saddled it with).

Second, the film burned out with about an hour left to go.
    Fortunately, they had it up and running in about five minutes, and everyone in the theater got a free pass for a movie of their choice for their troubles.

All in all, it was an awesome experience.
    If you haven't seen it, WHAT THE HELL ARE YOU WAITING FOR!?
    Stop what you're doing and SEE IT NOW!!!
    See it TWICE!!!
    See it FIVE TIMES!!!!!!

DISCLAIMER:
    Despite the orgasmic levels of praise I have lavished upon this movie, I would still recommend you to follow my stupid, boring old brain's advice if at all possible.
    Try not to get TOO worked up over it.
    it's just a movie, not the second coming of Christ...even if does come close.
    thanks for getting me so worked up.. really need to see this now

http://vikesking.blogspot.com/

"We’ll win our own Super Bowl, with our own players. Real Vikings. Something Brett Favre can never be."

- Dan Calabrese

erik5032 is offline Star Spokesman

"shockzilla" wrote:
    "thevikingfan" wrote:
    Absolutely amazing movie 5 stars Heath ledger gave an amazing performance,i think he has a great chance of being the first person to win an oscar after death. His portrayal of the joker may have been the best villain in any movie period.
    As anyone on here knows, I am a HUGE movie buff, and you're wrong here - the first person to win an Oscar after his death was Peter Finch, for the movie "Network" in 1976. He won the Oscar for Best Actor for his role of Howard Beale, a crazy nutjob talk show host. He died several months before the awards.

But I digress - Neumdog and I are going to see it at the IMax theater at the MN Zoo tomorrow afternoon. Review to follow!
    Peter Finch was nominated and (was voted winner) before his death. He died before the oscars, but he was alive when nominated. Heath Ledger would be first actor to be nominated after his death.

Garland Greene is offline Jersey Retired

"BBQ" wrote:
    Dude - the sequel news was A JOKE.
    From a JOKE WEBSITE.
    I thought the news of Uwe Boll directing and the quote about "running the franchise into the ground" would have given it away.
    Maybe I should've included a smiley of some sort. :
    That is what I thought. I had never seen that site before. I do know that Bale is signed on for at least one more Batman.
    My Guess(hope) is that they will include Catwoman as one Villian for reasons to mention later.

No harm no foul BBQ Platypus Lved your take on the movie

Garland Greene is offline Jersey Retired

if you do want a great site for all things Batman check out

http://www.batman-on-film.com/batmovienews.html

marstc09 is offline Jersey Retired

I don't see many movies in the theater but this one I will see.

erik5032 is offline Star Spokesman

"marstc09" wrote:
    I don't see many movies in the theater but this one I will see.
    I would suggest it whole heartedly. This should be nominated for best picture of the year, Ledger should win Best Supporting Actor. He stole the show. I don't care how high your expectations are you will be blown away.

Vikes_King is offline Jersey Retired

so i was about to see it today... but the only theatre in town showing it was PACKED, i got there 20 minutes later and there was a line going outside the building

http://vikesking.blogspot.com/

"We’ll win our own Super Bowl, with our own players. Real Vikings. Something Brett Favre can never be."

- Dan Calabrese

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast