cogitans is offline Jersey Retired

Cykling scandale

Ulrich and Basso out

This is crazy, but didn't we know there might be doping involved. There are new information by the hour right now.

Ullrich and Basso out of Le Tour

Jan Ullrich
    Ullrich was among the favourites for Le Tour
    Pre-race favourites Jan Ullrich and Ivan Basso are both out of the Tour de France after further dramatic events in cycling's blood-doping scandal.

Cycling's governing body UCI told Ullrich's T-Mobile team that he was named in an anti-doping probe in Spain.

Basso has now also been withdrawn from the Tour after also being named in the official investigation.

Ullrich's Spanish team-mate Oscar Sevilla and team manager Rudy Pevenage have also been suspended.

A T-Mobile team spokesman said: "If we are presented with evidence which leads us to doubt the credibility of our riders, then we act upon it immediately."

Following the first reports of the scandal emanating from Spain, T-Mobile management asked all its riders to sign written declarations stating that they were not involved in any way.

Team manager Olaf Ludwig said: "We talked to the riders several times and even have their declarations of innocence in written form.

"At first we had no reason to doubt the riders' statements, but that situation has now changed profoundly."

Ullrich and Basso may not be the last big names to be suspended from the Tour de France after organisers ASO (Amaury Sport Organisation) revealed that they have been given a list of more than 50 riders involved in the probe.

ASO spokesman Philippe Sudres said: "The Spanish Ministry of Sport handed the file to the cycling federation who passed it on to UCI and Tour organisers."

Denied wrong-doing

Reports emerged on Tuesday that Ullrich was part of the investigation but he immediately denied any wrong-doing.

Ullrich, the 1997 winner, had been among the favourites for this year's Tour, which starts on Saturday.

Seven-time champion Lance Armstrong retired after last year's triumph leaving the field wide open.

In addition to his win in 1997, the German has been runner-up five times and was third last year.

Italy's Lorenzo Bernucci and Germany's Stephan Schreck will now replace Ullrich and Sevilla in the T-Mobile team.

Thanks to PPE for the sig.

Re: Cykling scandale

Update: Ullrich has been withdrawn by his team along with teammate Oscar Sevilla. The rest is rumors as I know it, but 7 riders will be excluded.

Mancebo is also rumored to be among them.

Apparently the riders are excluded based on allegations from the Spanish doping razzia. There are 58 riders under suspicion in that investigations I have heard.

There is no doubt that there is something in this, but no riders has been convicted yet.

The riders that are excluded as far as I could dig up right now is:

ASTANA-WURTH : Joseba Beloki (ESP), Angel Vicioso (ESP), Isidro Nozal (ESP), Jörg Jaksche (ALL)
    CSC : Ivan Basso (ITA)
    AG2R : Francisco Mancebo (ESP)
    T-MOBILE : Jan Ullrich (ALL), Oscar Sevilla (ESP)

This is without doubt the biggest scandale since the infamous 1998 Tour de France

And here it is. I'm in chok (as you probably figured).

Includes list of riders

NodakPaul is offline Jersey Retired
    Blog Entries

Apparently now that Lance Armstrong is no longer racing, they can focus their attention on people who really use drugs. :wink:

Actually I am a little disappointed, as I always am when I find out about professional sports figures doping.
    Zeus wrote:
    When are you going to realize that picking out the 20 bad throws this year and ignoring the 300 good ones does not make your point?

=Z=

cajunvike is offline Jersey Retired

Maybe Lance should saddle up...with all the main competition eliminated by this, he could probably win an EIGHTH title!!! :lol:
    BANNED OR DEAD...I'LL TAKE EITHER ONE

BloodyHorns82 is offline Jersey Retired Feed The Frog Champion

It's crazy how nobody stood a chance while he was racing. Just dominated the sport. I

t's good that they send out messages like this, hopefully the other riders will notice and not dope up.

mr.woo is offline Team Alumni

huh i dont really care since our boys not doing it no more.
    woo out
    just two corn cobs shy of a bushel

"mr.woo" wrote:
    huh i dont really care since our boys not doing it no more.
    There are still americans riding. David Zabriskie is one of the favorits of the prologue tomorrow just to mention one.