BadlandsVikings is offline Jersey Retired

Couple Pay $1600 for Jar of Pasta Sauce

Pair Claim They Got 'Sauced' Over Camera

ST. LOUIS - The Rittenbergs planned to shoot family movies with a new camcorder. They may have to settle for a family pasta dinner, instead. The couple paid about $1,600 for a camcorder at a Best Buy store in the St. Louis suburb of Ellisville last week. They said when they opened the box, they found something they hadn't pictured: a jar of Classico pasta sauce where the camera should have been.

"The only thing I thought was, 'you've got to be kidding me,'" Melisa Rittenberg, 36, of the southeast Missouri town Perryville, said.

Also inside the box was a telephone cord and an electric outlet cover, all positioned in the box where the camera equipment should have been. So far, they're stuck with the spicy red pepper sauce, though a Best Buy manager said the company is working to resolve the matter.

Here's the couple's side of the story: Rittenberg and her husband, Jim, 37, bought a camcorder for about $600 on Nov. 19 at a Best Buy in Cape Girardeau, about 115 miles south of St. Louis.

They wanted a camera with better picture quality, so Jim decided to exchange it for the more expensive Sony camcorder. Because they were going to visit relatives for Thanksgiving, Jim made the exchange at the Best Buy store in Ellisville on Wednesday.

When he opened the box at his parents' home, he found the jar of pasta sauce which weighs about as much as the electronic equipment, but no camcorder, Melisa Rittenberg said.

When the couple tried to return it, they were told by Best Buy that the box had been sealed, so the swap couldn't have happened at the store.

"We are not thieves," said Melisa Rittenberg, a school district speech pathologist. The couple filed a police report, and Ellisville police are investigating. The Rittenbergs have not heard back from Best Buy or Sony concerning if they will receive a replacement camera or reimbursement.

The Best Buy general manager in Ellisville, Wade Trapp, said a decision on how to resolve the problem has not been determined.

San Diego-based Sony Electronics Inc. said it had a record of the incident. The company said it had not fielded any other complaints about pasta sauce being discovered in place of cameras.

Meanwhile, the Rittenbergs have what amounts to a $1,600 jar of pasta sauce. Melisa Rittenberg advised customers to check inside the box before leaving stores.

"You take it out of the store, and it's yours," she said. "It could be an empty box. It could have a jar of sauce in it, like ours."

http://www.bismarcktribune.com/articles/2006/11/27/ap/strange/d8llmev00.txt

josdin00 is offline Ring of Fame

Re: Couple Pay $1600 for Jar of Pasta Sauce

But it was an especially good vintage....

Sounds like some of that overpriced crap that contestants used to have to spend money on when they won "Wheel of Fortune"!!
    Remember that crap....

[size=12pt]"Ok Pat.....I will take the ceramic dragonfly for $400 and the 8' whicker dalmation for $600.
    oh....and I have to have that jar of pasta sauce for $1600!"[/size]
    I'd much rather see the Packers miss the playoffs because of their talent then because of their injuries.

"Vikefanman2000" wrote:
    Sounds like some of that overpriced crap that contestants used to have to spend money on when they won "Wheel of Fortune"!!
    Remember that crap....

[size=12pt]"Ok Pat.....I will take the ceramic dragonfly for $400 and the 8' whicker dalmation for $600.
    oh....and I have to have that jar of pasta sauce for $1600!"[/size]
    There were way too many of those stupid dalmations.

vikes2456 is offline Hall of Famer

Worst comes to worst they could ebay it, you know they will at least get $100 back..

VKG4LFE is offline Jersey Retired Tetris Champion, Monkey GO Happy 4 Champion

Wow, that sucks! Hopefully they'll get it exchanged!

I get the most pissed off looks from people with my VKG 4 LFE Wisconsin license plate, and I LOVE IT!!

RK.
    RK. is offline Ring of Fame Rally Cross II Champion

"vikes2456" wrote:
    Worst comes to worst they could ebay it, you know they will at least get $100 back..
    Just arrange the tomatoes to look like the face of Jesus and they could get all their money back.

WWBGD

Sony exchanges camcorder for pasta sauce

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/15940748/