Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    jargomcfargo is offline Ring of Fame

Re: Cops plan benefit for officer charged with fatal DUI

Will they be serving booze at this benefit?
    What takes a quarterback to the next level is not arm strength or mobility or any of that stuff. Its the ability to play on critical downs. Manage third downs, or red zones or four-minute or two-minute situations"
    Dilfer

Freya is offline Team Alumni

"NodakPaul" wrote:
    "BloodyHorns82" wrote:
    "NodakPaul" wrote:
    "BloodyHorns82" wrote:
    "NodakPaul" wrote:
    [quote author=marstc09 link=topic=53809.msg1008523#msg1008523 date=1256330549]
    [quote author=NodakPaul link=topic=53809.msg1008502#msg1008502 date=1256326430]
    Just a point of clarification. This is NOT planned or endorsed by the Police Department, City, or [size=12pt]Fraternal Order of Police[/size].
    It is a benefit put on by some of his friends.
    The article, or at least the title, makes it appear like the Police Department or at least the FOP is sanctioning it.
    This is not the case.
    An invitation to the event is posted on the Web site of the [size=12pt]Fraternal Order of Police[/size]
    http://www.chicagobreakingnews.com/2...fatal-dui.html
    FOP President Mark Donahue distanced the organization from the event, saying it was planned by some of the officer's friends.

Donahue said FOP members have a right to use the building, and emphasized that the FOP was not involved or advocating one way or the other regarding the Frugoli case.
    They are using the building because they have a legal right to as members.
    It is listed on their website because they list all events.
    The FOP has not sanctioned this.
    It is no different than a VFW member using the local VFW building for an event. It doesn't mean that the VFW sanction it, it just means that they are using the building.
    They are advertising the event on the Fraternal Order of Police website.
    He can say they don't advocate it, yet they are directly promoting it.
    :

I'm sorry, but this does look bad.
    And I'm normally with you defending the police.
    No they aren't.
    They have it listed on their events page, just like they list every other event that will be held in their building.
    http://www.chicagofop.org/Upcoming_Events.html

This isn't advertising or promoting.
    When members book the building, part of what they pay for is the listing.

The Target Center hosted John Edward a could of years ago. Probably listed on their website as well.
    Does tht mean that Target sanctions and supports some quack passing himself off as a psychic and feeds on the needs of grieving people?
    No.
    It means that John Edward booked the facility, and was entitled to everything that comes along with it.

Just to be clear on my stance about this officer: I hope he is found guilty and thrown in jail.
    Everyone whom I have talked to in the ND FOP feel the same way.
    I don't see the Chicago FOP Lodge 7 embracing this guy either.
    Sounds like more than simply a listing to me...

An invitation to the event is posted on the Web site of the Fraternal Order of Police, and appears next to the numbers "10-1," radio code for officer in need of assistance.

"You're invited to assist Detective Joe Frugoli," the posting reads. Tickets cost $50. A detective lists his name and phone number for further information.
    [/quote]

Did you click on the link I gave you?
    That is the link to the listing.
    Check it out:

The 10-1 is used on every benefit.
    It is a standard template.
    Just like clapping hands are used for every retirement party, and a santa hat is used for every holiday party.
    The detective who's name and number is listed is the guy's friend who is organizing it.

People are looking for a way to blame the department or the FOP as a whole for one or two detectives being dickwads.
    Articles like that don't help.

BTW< if the FOP was promoting is so much, it would be on their home page, not buried in the events section.
    [/quote]

It is in the FOP newsletter. (pg. 9) Which includes all manner of Police business conducted by the FOP and is the official publication.

Note: this is a PDF file.
    http://www.chicagofop.org/Newsletter...102009news.PDF

Personally, I don't think there is intelligent life on other planets. Why should other planets be any different from this one?

NodakPaul is offline Jersey Retired
    Blog Entries

"Freya" wrote:
    "NodakPaul" wrote:
    "BloodyHorns82" wrote:
    "NodakPaul" wrote:
    "BloodyHorns82" wrote:
    [quote author=NodakPaul link=topic=53809.msg1008531#msg1008531 date=1256331242]
    [quote author=marstc09 link=topic=53809.msg1008523#msg1008523 date=1256330549]
    [quote author=NodakPaul link=topic=53809.msg1008502#msg1008502 date=1256326430]
    Just a point of clarification. This is NOT planned or endorsed by the Police Department, City, or [size=12pt]Fraternal Order of Police[/size].
    It is a benefit put on by some of his friends.
    The article, or at least the title, makes it appear like the Police Department or at least the FOP is sanctioning it.
    This is not the case.
    An invitation to the event is posted on the Web site of the [size=12pt]Fraternal Order of Police[/size]
    http://www.chicagobreakingnews.com/2...fatal-dui.html
    FOP President Mark Donahue distanced the organization from the event, saying it was planned by some of the officer's friends.

Donahue said FOP members have a right to use the building, and emphasized that the FOP was not involved or advocating one way or the other regarding the Frugoli case.
    They are using the building because they have a legal right to as members.
    It is listed on their website because they list all events.
    The FOP has not sanctioned this.
    It is no different than a VFW member using the local VFW building for an event. It doesn't mean that the VFW sanction it, it just means that they are using the building.
    They are advertising the event on the Fraternal Order of Police website.
    He can say they don't advocate it, yet they are directly promoting it.
    :

I'm sorry, but this does look bad.
    And I'm normally with you defending the police.
    No they aren't.
    They have it listed on their events page, just like they list every other event that will be held in their building.

This isn't advertising or promoting.
    When members book the building, part of what they pay for is the listing.

The Target Center hosted John Edward a could of years ago. Probably listed on their website as well.
    Does tht mean that Target sanctions and supports some quack passing himself off as a psychic and feeds on the needs of grieving people?
    No.
    It means that John Edward booked the facility, and was entitled to everything that comes along with it.

Just to be clear on my stance about this officer: I hope he is found guilty and thrown in jail.
    Everyone whom I have talked to in the ND FOP feel the same way.
    I don't see the Chicago FOP Lodge 7 embracing this guy either.
    Sounds like more than simply a listing to me...

An invitation to the event is posted on the Web site of the Fraternal Order of Police, and appears next to the numbers "10-1," radio code for officer in need of assistance.

"You're invited to assist Detective Joe Frugoli," the posting reads. Tickets cost $50. A detective lists his name and phone number for further information.
    [/quote]

Did you click on the link I gave you?
    That is the link to the listing.
    Check it out:

The 10-1 is used on every benefit.
    It is a standard template.
    Just like clapping hands are used for every retirement party, and a santa hat is used for every holiday party.
    The detective who's name and number is listed is the guy's friend who is organizing it.

People are looking for a way to blame the department or the FOP as a whole for one or two detectives being dickwads.
    Articles like that don't help.

BTW< if the FOP was promoting is so much, it would be on their home page, not buried in the events section.
    [/quote]

It is in the FOP newsletter.

Note: this is a PDF file.
    http://www.chicagofop.org/Newsletter...102009news.PDF
    [/quote]

sigh...

Yes, as is every other event as well...

Believe what you want.
    If you REALLY think that the Fraternal Order of Police or the Chicago Police Department are in any way trying to organize a fundraiser for this guy, then you are obviously either trying to be closed minded about it or just trying to get me riled up.
    Either way, I no longer care.
    :
    I seriously debated even posting in this thread... I should have known better.
    Zeus wrote:
    When are you going to realize that picking out the 20 bad throws this year and ignoring the 300 good ones does not make your point?

=Z=

Freya is offline Team Alumni

There is a fair difference between organizing something and sanctioning it. Both terms have been used in this thread. There is no way to tell for sure if the FOP is participating at all, either way.
    I am not trying to argue with you, Nodak. I don't mean to make you feel as though I am.
    I am saying that some things are just as they seem.
    This seems like hypocrisy to me. A double standard. Blatant.

Personally, I don't think there is intelligent life on other planets. Why should other planets be any different from this one?

NodakPaul is offline Jersey Retired
    Blog Entries

"Freya" wrote:
    There is a fair difference between organizing something and sanctioning it. Both terms have been used in this thread. There is no way to tell for sure if the FOP is participating at all, either way.
    I am not trying to argue with you, Nodak. I don't mean to make you feel as though I am.
    I am saying that some things are just as they seem.
    This seems like hypocrisy to me. A double standard. Blatant.
    I see where you are coming from, but what would you have the FOP do?

Its bylaws state that members can use the facilities for personal events.
    This officer, regardless of what it looks like now, is innocent until proven guilty - like everybody else.
    On what grounds could the FOP deny this detective and FOP member from hosting a benefit for another detective and FOP member?
    Because they think the guy is guilty?

And there is a very good way to tell that the FOP is not participating.
    You could listen to the President who said specifically that they are not.

Plus calling it hypocrisy means that you are failing to separate the FOP from the actual police department.
    The FOP is a semi-private organization that supports police officers, much like the VFW or Amvets support the military.
    Neither the VFW nor Amvets speaks for or represents the military, and the FOP doesn't speak for or represent the police department.
    Where is the hypocrisy?

You are right in saying that some things are just as they seem.
    Unfortunately this is being made into a lot more than what it really is...
    Zeus wrote:
    When are you going to realize that picking out the 20 bad throws this year and ignoring the 300 good ones does not make your point?

=Z=

marstc09 is offline Jersey Retired

"jargomcfargo" wrote:
    Will they be serving booze at this benefit?
    Probably.

VikesFan787 is offline Coordinator

<edited by Shockzilla>
    NO MATTER WHAT YOU MAY THINK OF THE GUY, POSTING HIS NAME, ADDRESS AND TELEPHONE NUMBER IS NOT COOL.

OK, I'm locking this thread.

<end of edit>

Webby is offline Administrator
    Blog Entries

Anyone pulls shit like this again, its permanent ban, not temp like his.
    Everyone knows better.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123