Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    PacNWVike is offline Team Alumni

Re: Cops plan benefit for officer charged with fatal DUI

Simply amazing...
    Three times the legal limit seems pretty clear cut to me.
    "All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."
    Edmund Burke

NodakPaul is offline Jersey Retired
    Blog Entries

Just a point of clarification. This is NOT planned or endorsed by the Police Department, City, or Fraternal Order of Police.
    It is a benefit put on by some of his friends.
    The article, or at least the title, makes it appear like the Police Department or at least the FOP is sanctioning it.
    This is not the case.
    Zeus wrote:
    When are you going to realize that picking out the 20 bad throws this year and ignoring the 300 good ones does not make your point?

=Z=

Freya is offline Team Alumni

"NodakPaul" wrote:
    Just a point of clarification. This is NOT planned or endorsed by the Police Department, City, or Fraternal Order of Police.
    The article, or at least the title, makes it appear like the Police Department or at least the FOP is sanctioning it.
    This is not the case.
    If you watch the little video clip that goes along with the article it talks about how the number to call for more info goes to the police dept. That is problem one. Problem two is that while the active police have a right to use the union facilities for this fund raiser, but I can't help but wonder why this isn't viewed as a conflict of interest. The man violated the law. Would, or could the police use this same facility to hold a fundraiser for a family friend who got in the same kind of trouble, and wasn't a police officer?

Personally, I don't think there is intelligent life on other planets. Why should other planets be any different from this one?

marstc09 is offline Jersey Retired

"NodakPaul" wrote:
    Just a point of clarification. This is NOT planned or endorsed by the Police Department, City, or [size=12pt]Fraternal Order of Police[/size].
    This is not the case.
    An invitation to the event is posted on the Web site of the [size=12pt]Fraternal Order of Police[/size]
    http://www.chicagobreakingnews.com/2...fatal-dui.html

Blog Entries

"marstc09" wrote:
    "NodakPaul" wrote:
    Just a point of clarification. This is NOT planned or endorsed by the Police Department, City, or [size=12pt]Fraternal Order of Police[/size].
    This is not the case.
    An invitation to the event is posted on the Web site of the [size=12pt]Fraternal Order of Police[/size]
    FOP President Mark Donahue distanced the organization from the event, saying it was planned by some of the officer's friends.

Donahue said FOP members have a right to use the building, and emphasized that the FOP was not involved or advocating one way or the other regarding the Frugoli case.
    They are using the building because they have a legal right to as members.
    It is listed on their website because they list all events.
    The FOP has not sanctioned this.
    It is no different than a VFW member using the local VFW building for an event. It doesn't mean that the VFW sanction it, it just means that they are using the building.
    Zeus wrote:
    When are you going to realize that picking out the 20 bad throws this year and ignoring the 300 good ones does not make your point?

=Z=

BloodyHorns82 is offline Jersey Retired Feed The Frog Champion

"NodakPaul" wrote:
    "marstc09" wrote:
    "NodakPaul" wrote:
    This is not the case.
    FOP President Mark Donahue distanced the organization from the event, saying it was planned by some of the officer's friends.

Donahue said FOP members have a right to use the building, and emphasized that the FOP was not involved or advocating one way or the other regarding the Frugoli case.
    It is no different than a VFW member using the local VFW building for an event. It doesn't mean that the VFW sanction it, it just means that they are using the building.
    They are advertising the event on the Fraternal Order of Police website.
    He can say they don't advocate it, yet they are directly promoting it.
    :

I'm sorry, but this does look bad.
    And I'm normally with you defending the police.

Blog Entries

"Freya" wrote:
    "NodakPaul" wrote:
    This is not the case.
    If you watch the little video clip that goes along with the article it talks about how the number to call for more info goes to the police dept. That is problem one. Problem two is that while the active police have a right to use the union facilities for this fund raiser, but I can't help but wonder why this isn't viewed as a conflict of interest. The man violated the law. Would, or could the police use this same facility to hold a fundraiser for a family friend who got in the same kind of trouble, and wasn't a police officer?
    It isn't a union building.
    It is a FOP building.
    Think of it like the local VFW - supports a particular cause, but is not part of the oganizaiton it supports.

Also, the number goes to the desk of the detective organizing the event.
    It would be no different than if you or I organized an event and listed our work number as a point of contact.
    To be honestly, I don't think he should be allowed to use his work number for what amounts to personal business.
    But that still doesn't mean or imply that the police department is sanctioning or condoning it at all.

From my experience, most cops probably won't touch this guy with a ten foot pole.
    He might have some friends who will rally around him and help raise some money for the defense cost, but there is no way that any public figure or organization will come out in support of him.
    Nor should they.
    He killed two people.
    Zeus wrote:

=Z=

Blog Entries

"BloodyHorns82" wrote:
    "NodakPaul" wrote:
    "marstc09" wrote:
    "NodakPaul" wrote:
    This is not the case.

:

No they aren't.
    They have it listed on their events page, just like they list every other event that will be held in their building.
    http://www.chicagofop.org/Upcoming_Events.html

This isn't advertising or promoting.
    When members book the building, part of what they pay for is the listing.

The Target Center hosted John Edward a could of years ago. Probably listed on their website as well.
    Does tht mean that Target sanctions and supports some quack passing himself off as a psychic and feeds on the needs of grieving people?
    No.
    It means that John Edward booked the facility, and was entitled to everything that comes along with it.

Just to be clear on my stance about this officer: I hope he is found guilty and thrown in jail.
    Everyone whom I have talked to in the ND FOP feel the same way.
    I don't see the Chicago FOP Lodge 7 embracing this guy either.
    Zeus wrote:

=Z=

BloodyHorns82 is offline Jersey Retired Feed The Frog Champion

"NodakPaul" wrote:
    "BloodyHorns82" wrote:
    "NodakPaul" wrote:
    "marstc09" wrote:
    "NodakPaul" wrote:
    This is not the case.

:

No they aren't.
    They have it listed on their events page, just like they list every other event that will be held in their building.

The Target Center hosted John Edward a could of years ago. Probably listed on their website as well.
    Does tht mean that Target sanctions and supports some quack passing himself off as a psychic and feeds on the needs of grieving people?
    No.
    It means that John Edward booked the facility, and was entitled to everything that comes along with it.

Just to be clear on my stance about this officer: I hope he is found guilty and thrown in jail.
    Sounds like more than simply a listing to me...

An invitation to the event is posted on the Web site of the Fraternal Order of Police, and appears next to the numbers "10-1," radio code for officer in need of assistance.

"You're invited to assist Detective Joe Frugoli," the posting reads. Tickets cost $50. A detective lists his name and phone number for further information.

Blog Entries

"BloodyHorns82" wrote:
    "NodakPaul" wrote:
    "BloodyHorns82" wrote:
    "NodakPaul" wrote:
    "marstc09" wrote:
    [quote author=NodakPaul link=topic=53809.msg1008502#msg1008502 date=1256326430]
    This is not the case.

:

No they aren't.

No.

Sounds like more than simply a listing to me...

An invitation to the event is posted on the Web site of the Fraternal Order of Police, and appears next to the numbers "10-1," radio code for officer in need of assistance.

"You're invited to assist Detective Joe Frugoli," the posting reads. Tickets cost $50. A detective lists his name and phone number for further information.
    [/quote]

Did you click on the link I gave you?
    That is the link to the listing.
    Check it out:

The 10-1 is used on every benefit.
    It is a standard template.
    Just like clapping hands are used for every retirement party, and a santa hat is used for every holiday party.
    The detective who's name and number is listed is the guy's friend who is organizing it.

People are looking for a way to blame the department or the FOP as a whole for one or two detectives being dickwads.
    Articles like that don't help.

BTW< if the FOP was promoting is so much, it would be on their home page, not buried in the events section.
    Zeus wrote:

=Z=

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast