Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    marstc09 is offline Jersey Retired

Re:Cop Pulls Out Gun On Motorcyclist

gregair13 wrote:
    marstc09 wrote:
    Timely matter?! Do you know that there are plenty of cases of people posing as Police Officers? His first words should have been State Police with badge showing, do you know why I am pulling you over. The gun is highly unnecessary. What a joke. You can just tell this guy is a hard ass. Get off the motorcycle?! For what? Do you get out of your car right away after a routine traffic stop. Complete BS.
    If I didn't know it was cops pulling him over, I would have assumed that guy with the gun was stealing the bike.
    Exactly!

jmcdon00 is offline Jersey Retired Snake Champion, Moto Trial Fest 2: Mountain Pack Champion, LL City Truck 2 Champion, Arithmetic sequence Champion, Troops Tower Defense Champion

marstc09 wrote:
    gregair13 wrote:
    marstc09 wrote:
    Timely matter?! Do you know that there are plenty of cases of people posing as Police Officers? His first words should have been State Police with badge showing, do you know why I am pulling you over. The gun is highly unnecessary. What a joke. You can just tell this guy is a hard ass. Get off the motorcycle?! For what? Do you get out of your car right away after a routine traffic stop. Complete BS.
    If I didn't know it was cops pulling him over, I would have assumed that guy with the gun was stealing the bike.
    Exactly!
    Would have been a pretty ballsy move with the marked police car right behind the bike with sirens on.

Mr Anderson is offline Jersey Retired

NodakPaul wrote:
    marstc09 wrote:
    I can understand why someone could take a quick look at this situation and be upset. But let's look at this closer.

First, you always have someone dismount a motorcycle during a traffic stop. Always. Mostly for safety reasons. On a road, the safest place for the driver to be during a traffic stop is off the bike and off the road. Bikes can't pull as far onto the shoulder as a car can, and a gawker accidently hitting a stationary bike could easily kill the driver.

Second, there actually aren't lots of cases of people posing as Police Officers. There have been some, but they are rare cases. From snopes:
    The instances of rapists and murderers pretending to be police officers is not of epidemic proportions, but enough incidents of this nature have occurred that precautions are warranted. In 1948 in Caryl Chessman successfully robbed couples and sexually assaulted a number of women in California after first fooling them into believing he was a police officer by flashing a red light at their vehicles.
    Third, he does identify himself very quickly as a police officer. As soon as he gets out of the car, he says, "Get off the Motorcycle, Get off the motorcycle, get off the motorcycle, State Police." It takes a grand total of 5.5 seconds for him to identify himself as a police officer, and that is immediately after he eliminated and safety or escape risks posed by the driver sitting on the still running motorcycle.

Fourth, there is the gun. It is drawn, but never once aimed at the driver. Hate to break the news to you, but in many, many, many places that is not an uncommon procedure on traffic stops. Traffic stops are the second most common type of situation where cops are injured or killed (the first is domestics).

I have absolutely no problem with anything the cop did in this video. Whether or not there was more after it cut off could be a different story. Maybe the reason the department reacted like they did is because the video did catch the officers doing something wrong - but it wasn't in this part of the video.

I do have a problem with the police department hiding behind wire tap laws to seize this guys computers and video equipment, and charge him. That is the bigger picture here, and what people should really be upset about. It worries me that people are so focused on picking apart a cop's performance and talking about all the ways that they would have done a better job (usually with the benefit of retrospect) that they are missing the bigger picture here - and that is the overstepping of authority by the police department under the guise of wiretapping laws.
    Cops get killed in traffic stops because of the unpredictability of the drivers actions. They can't really see what he's doing in the car, so being prepared to meet the highest level of force is fair, but in this instnace(or any time on a motorcycle really) there's no concealing what you're doing. You are 100% visible on the bike.

I think having the gun drawn was unnecessary.

And you're right about the wire tap laws. That's ridiculous. The department is just making themselves look worse by overreacting in this way.

jmcdon00 is offline Jersey Retired Snake Champion, Moto Trial Fest 2: Mountain Pack Champion, LL City Truck 2 Champion, Arithmetic sequence Champion, Troops Tower Defense Champion

NodakPaul wrote:
    marstc09 wrote:
    I can understand why someone could take a quick look at this situation and be upset. But let's look at this closer.

First, you always have someone dismount a motorcycle during a traffic stop. Always. Mostly for safety reasons. On a road, the safest place for the driver to be during a traffic stop is off the bike and off the road. Bikes can't pull as far onto the shoulder as a car can, and a gawker accidently hitting a stationary bike could easily kill the driver.

Second, there actually aren't lots of cases of people posing as Police Officers. There have been some, but they are rare cases. From snopes:
    The instances of rapists and murderers pretending to be police officers is not of epidemic proportions, but enough incidents of this nature have occurred that precautions are warranted. In 1948 in Caryl Chessman successfully robbed couples and sexually assaulted a number of women in California after first fooling them into believing he was a police officer by flashing a red light at their vehicles.
    Third, he does identify himself very quickly as a police officer. As soon as he gets out of the car, he says, "Get off the Motorcycle, Get off the motorcycle, get off the motorcycle, State Police." It takes a grand total of 5.5 seconds for him to identify himself as a police officer, and that is immediately after he eliminated and safety or escape risks posed by the driver sitting on the still running motorcycle.

Fourth, there is the gun. It is drawn, but never once aimed at the driver. Hate to break the news to you, but in many, many, many places that is not an uncommon procedure on traffic stops. Traffic stops are the second most common type of situation where cops are injured or killed (the first is domestics).

I have absolutely no problem with anything the cop did in this video. Whether or not there was more after it cut off could be a different story. Maybe the reason the department reacted like they did is because the video did catch the officers doing something wrong - but it wasn't in this part of the video.

I do have a problem with the police department hiding behind wire tap laws to seize this guys computers and video equipment, and charge him. That is the bigger picture here, and what people should really be upset about. It worries me that people are so focused on picking apart a cop's performance and talking about all the ways that they would have done a better job (usually with the benefit of retrospect) that they are missing the bigger picture here - and that is the overstepping of authority by the police department under the guise of wiretapping laws.
    +1.
    Initially I only watched the video and didn't see the article.
    The fact that a prosecuter would press charges on an individual for wearing a microphone on a motorcycle shows clear corruption. Heads need to roll, people need to be fired. And then laws need to be changed.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12