Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Vikes is offline Team Alumni

The Concept of MySpace and Blogs!

Out of respect for what snowinapril said in regards to Dungy's son. I decide to start this discussion away from that tragic thread out of respect.

I need to admit I don't get why you want to share with the world who you are? I'm not trying to put those who have pages on those sites down. I just don't get it.

Let me just start by saying I work for a living, I'm a new husband, and father. I don't have time in the day to sit and work on some web page about me. Maybe Myspace and Blogs are for the young with a lot of times on their hands.

I know when I was young back in the gulp BBS days I spent a lot of time online. So to me the Internet is nothing more than BBS 2.0. I don't have the need to spend a lot of time online. I enjoy only this site to discuss the Vikings and to learn more about the sport of football from the likes of DEL RIO and others. But to put together a shrine for others to visit online seems like a waste of time to me (IMO).

This Dungy thing is kind of tragic in the fact my current Brother-Law on my wife's side is getting a divorce. This wife of his has been a hand full. Make a long story short she has a MySpace account and links to all these friends. Anyway she has written some crazy stuff to others on their sites and one guy has a link to some shots himself naked, you get the picture. Anyway he is sharing this me last night and I finally said to myself what a bunch of nonsense this stuff is (IMO).

Then Dungy's kids site pops-up and I'm like my god what the heck is that. I guess my point in sharing this with everyone is privacy is something to be valued and respected. Sharing or promoting who you are now may not be what you want in the future.

I'm sure if Tony Dungy would have known what was on his son site he would have talked to him. Now people are making these crazy judgments calls about a young man. Probably not thinking this Myspace was that big a deal.

Trust me when I say you might have something in your life that changes you into a different person. Now with Google and other information capturing tools, it could come back to hunt you.

So for all you Myspace and Blogs be careful what you post it could come back to haunt you in life. (Vikes steps off his soapbox)

"MEN WE STAY THE COURSE"

The rigors of Spartan life. Leonidas is cast out into the wild, and survives the harsh winter to return to his home, when he is crowned King ....a Viking!

CanadaViking is offline Pro-Bowler

Re: The Concept of MySpace and Blogs!

For me ignorance is bliss, I hadn't even heard of myspace until today and what a crappy way to learn of this type of thing. I do not know James Dungy or his ways of life, however something in my gut tells me this was more of jole site then real life, or maybe that is why his life ended, because he was a confused young man. I just find it tragic, he will no longer have the chance to enjoy life or the many thing s that bring joy to people.

I think that James Dungy may have had some sort of mental problem (if in fact he killed himself). I am not saying he did or didn't, cause I don't know, it just looks and sounds to me as if he may have had issues with things around him and didn't know how to cope, it is truly sad. Many mental problems are detected after it is too late, I really think that a young man that was raised by one of the most respected people in the NFL, was raised properly and with a lot of love, it is just sad that it ended this way.

Cheers!

PurplePeopleEaters is offline Jersey Retired

I am one of the people that has a myspace and I think that the things that James Dungy put on there were stupid. He had gang signs and many weed smoking references. He obviously wanted to try to show people that he was some sort of gangster. I really doubt that anyone who could be related to mellow, somewhat nerdy, Tony Dungy, could be a gang member but maybe I am wrong.

Anyways... Myspace is for people who don't really care about their privacy. When you make a myspace, you are realizing that millions of people could see it (if they want to).

Del Rio Guest

My space is a dating service for strange people :P

ultravikingfan is offline Administrator

My space is the 2 ft area around my body that men are not allowed in...only for a handshake.

I have a Myspace. It is kinda the fad of the country right now internetwise. I found Tony's sons myspace. It is very disturbing. It will get shutdown soon.

http://profile.myspace.com/index.cfm?fusea...iendID=41899442

Potus2028 is offline Hall of Famer

I;m more of a xanga person myself.. The original intent I think was for other people to get to know you..
    I'm a member of the minnesota vikings blog, my band has a blog, and I also have many good drum major friends that i have met through out different blogs...
    I bad apple ruins the bunch (or however the saying goes).. a few inappropriate xanga's and my space and other blogs make it look like thats what all blogs are...

it is mainly for the youth who want to meet other people.. and is 90% used for fridnly and innocent means..

don't get the wrong idea of what they are... but VIKES, you are right, they're mainly for the yoot
    i m better than you, so just give up...

cajunvike is offline Jersey Retired

"ultravikingfan" wrote:
    My space is the 2 ft area around my body that ONLY men are allowed in...and not just for a handshake.
    :shock: :razz:
    BANNED OR DEAD...I'LL TAKE EITHER ONE

Vikes is offline Team Alumni

"Potus2028" wrote:
    I;m more of a xanga person myself.. The original intent I think was for other people to get to know you..
    I'm a member of the minnesota vikings blog, my band has a blog, and I also have many good drum major friends that i have met through out different blogs...
    I bad apple ruins the bunch (or however the saying goes).. a few inappropriate xanga's and my space and other blogs make it look like thats what all blogs are...

it is mainly for the youth who want to meet other people.. and is 90% used for fridnly and innocent means..

don't get the wrong idea of what they are... but VIKES, you are right, they're mainly for the yoot
    Thanks I remember back in the mid-80's telephone chats were all the rage. So this is nothing more than a fad that a couple of people will stick with and most will move on. It's not my thing but heck my wife thinks it's a little weird that I like to discuss the Vikings this much!

The rigors of Spartan life. Leonidas is cast out into the wild, and survives the harsh winter to return to his home, when he is crowned King ....a Viking!

hailtocarter is offline Asst. Coach

I totally agree with you vikes, myspace is pretty wierd. I refused to sign up for so long, then I finally did it, call it peer pressure, and right away I got bored with it. Your idea about privacy makes a ton of sense, and it seems many people take it for granted. I just saw the guys on ESPN talking about the Dungy thing and they could barely concentrate to do the show...I hope the family will be alright...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast