Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    FedjeViking is offline Ring of Fame

Re: computer update!!!

"VikingNed" wrote:
    Wish I knew more myself SamDawg......everything I do know, I had to teach myself..

I'de love to give Photoshop a try and learn how to design and print my own letter heads and buisness cards...
    Photoshop is easy to use. They even have a book you can buy that gives you step by step lessons for beginners. It shows you the basic things, then you can just play with it to learn other stuff.
    [move]"Our day WILL come!! I just hope I LIVE long enough to see it!"[/move]

zimtwister is offline Coach

"ultravikingfan" wrote:
    "hailtocarter" wrote:
    "ultravikingfan" wrote:
    Zim,

Usually people have 2 memory slots on most PC's and you would most likely get two 1 MB memory cards which would give you 2 MB.

What are you doing with your PC where you think you need that much memory?

Not to mention a 1 MB card is well over $100 a piece.
    Ultra, hes talkin about his internet connection speed not his RAM! :lol: and 1 meg of RAM is nothing, 1 gig however would be quite large.

Zim, Does your computer "beep" when u try to start it up? If not, you may have the wrong type of memory, or the configuration does not agree with the computer. If you have the 256 card in 1 slot and nothing in the other, you probably need a spacer in the other slot to make it work, or....if you kept the other 128 card in the second slot, many computers will require that you use the same memory capacity (both 128 or both 256, etc.) to make it work. Anyways, do the "beep" test for starters.
    Oops, my bad. I read it as his memory. And I really did mean Gig instead of MB. I feel like a dork now. I just upgraded my memory friday so I do know the difference between a G and a MB. Also, I am an electrician and everything is metric as far as measuring voltage and current. Oops!
    yeah- my internet connection! no it does not beep, it growls for like a 1/2 second and does nothing, the monitor wont even light up. maybe i do need to have matching memory, i have two slots but only one is being used[128] any other ideas?
    "you dream of beating me, its time you wake up and apologize."

jimmymac is offline Pro-Bowler

I'll help you zimtwister. My job for over 10 years is building, repairing computers.

First, tell me the exact model of HP you have. CPU type and speed if you know.

Also, can you get the computer to start agin by reinserting the old ram?
    -- Sarcasm always turned on --

its a hp 7855 with a 1 ghz processer. and yes i am running the origanal 128 sdram. the guy said mine is a pc100 and the sdram he sold me is pc133, would that cause it?

FedjeViking is offline Ring of Fame

"zimtwister" wrote:
    its a hp 7855 with a 1 ghz processer. and yes i am running the origanal 128 sdram. the guy said mine is a pc100 and the sdram he sold me is pc133, would that cause it?
    Yes!! Has to be the same as what was in it.
    [move]"Our day WILL come!! I just hope I LIVE long enough to see it!"[/move]

According to HP you have a Intel Pentium III / 1 GHz Processor. This has a 133MHz bus so pc133 is right.

If your computer is working with the old stick but not with the new stick there are two reasons I can see.

1. The new stick is bad. They only way to verify this is to test in on another motherboard that uses pc133 sdram.

2. If the new stick has high density ram modules, your motherboard may not be able to recognize it. Does the new stick have ram modules (the black chips soldered on the little green board) on both sides or just one? How many modules are there on each side?

Some of the less expensive SDRAM were made with high density ram modules to save on production costs, but they were only useable with the very last PIII motherboards/CPU (1.2GHz - 1.4GHz) that were made.

"jimmymac" wrote:
    According to HP you have a Intel Pentium III / 1 GHz Processor. This has a 133MHz bus so pc133 is right.

If your computer is working with the old stick but not with the new stick there are two reasons I can see.

1. The new stick is bad. They only way to verify this is to test in on another motherboard that uses pc133 sdram.

2. If the new stick has high density ram modules, your motherboard may not be able to recognize it. Does the new stick have ram modules (the black chips soldered on the little green board) on both sides or just one? How many modules are there on each side?

Some of the less expensive SDRAM were made with high density ram modules to save on production costs, but they were only useable with the very last PIII motherboards/CPU (1.2GHz - 1.4GHz) that were made.
    yes it has the modules on one side only there are 8 of them also the 133 is about a 1/4" taller than the 100 board

"zimtwister" wrote:
    yes it has the modules on one side only there are 8 of them also the 133 is about a 1/4" taller than the 100 board
    A 256MB stick with modules on only one side is high density. My suggestion is get a low density stick which has modules on both sides.

In my experience given the combination of motherboard/chipset/cpu you have is to buy the SDRAM from http://www.Crucial.com or http://www.Kingston.com. Use their ram finders to get the right stuff.

Looks like Crucial has the best price: http://www.crucial.com/store/listparts.asp?Mfr%2BProductline=HP+-+Compaq%2BPavilion+7800+Series&mfr=HP+-+Compaq&tabid=AM&model=Pavilion+7855&submit=Go

BBQ Platypus is offline Team Alumni

Oh no!!! Computer trouble!!! We're all gonna die!!!

"This is my timey-wimey detector. It goes ding when there's stuff."

jimmy mac is the wack! [compliment]

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast