Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    i_bleed_purple is offline Jersey Retired
    Blog Entries

Re:Computer question part 2

marshallvike wrote:

It is good to have a number of spyware/malware programs. No program can catch everything. Just do not keep all active in real time protection. update and scan manually on some to avoid conflicts.
    Good idea, but important to note taht they should NOT run at the same time. If you want to run multiple scanners, fine, but just don't have them live at the same time or you will get problems.

marshallvike is offline Team Alumni

i_bleed_purple wrote:
    marshallvike wrote:

It is good to have a number of spyware/malware programs. No program can catch everything. Just do not keep all active in real time protection. update and scan manually on some to avoid conflicts.
    Good idea, but important to note taht they should NOT run at the same time. If you want to run multiple scanners, fine, but just don't have them live at the same time or you will get problems.
    yeah, that is what I meant by do not keep them all active. Just didn't say it as well.
    Why must you defend everything this FO does....to the point of making your self look like a yes man.

mnvikes61 is offline Team Alumni

i_bleed_purple wrote:
    TV is right, XP does have a built-in firewall, but its not very good. However, as far as doign Windows updates, it will suffice. Disable your current firewall, and use Windows firewall (You can turn it on in the Control Panel)

Also, for your updates, SP3 should contain all the individual updates your'e trying to install. I'm about 95% sure of this. If its not offered as an update, try and download the standalone installer from microsoft.com. Having said that, I'm not sure if you need SP2 installed first or not, you might need it though.
    Is there a way to just download SP 3 then instead of the individual updates. What happens is it will try and update individual 140 or so files the first time, restart and downloads SP 3, restarts and then the last 40 or so files.

PS: Thanks for all the advice Marshallvike and I_Bleed_Puprle

Thanks Josdin

I was just wondering if someone could give me the information on if its possible to get the service pack instead of downloading the files individually and then the pack and then more individual files. I actually have somet time to try and get that computer up in running. Thanks in advance

Thanks Josdin

i_bleed_purple is offline Jersey Retired
    Blog Entries

mnvikes61 wrote:
    I was just wondering if someone could give me the information on if its possible to get the service pack instead of downloading the files individually and then the pack and then more individual files. I actually have somet time to try and get that computer up in running. Thanks in advance
    Here's the installer for Service Pack 3. Its a big download:
    http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyId=5B33B5A8-5E76-401F-BE08-1E1555D4F3D4&displaylang=en

If you're missing anything to install it, an error message will tell you that.

There will be some updates after SP3 that you'll need to isntall, but nothing nearly as bad.

Thanks I_Bleed. Is there any reason that this download would be inappropriate for one computer? It says it's for networking and not to download it just for one computer.

Thanks Josdin

*Bump*
    I was going to download the Service Pack 3 to a flashdrive and just install it on my other computer. Just waiting to see if anyone knows if it's appropriate for one computer since the webpage says it's more for networking. Thanks

Thanks Josdin

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12