Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    mnvikes61 is offline Team Alumni

Computer question part 2

Alright to those who helped me before I managed to get my old computer back up and running. The computer gods must have given me a free pass as the restoration disks worked and it is back up to factory settings.

Here's the question:
    I know Norton is a big ol' pile of poop. But it has a built in firewall and I need to update windows and all that jazz. Would I be better off setting up Norton and updating windows and then uninstalling it completely using the tool Norton provides to eliminate all traces of the program, or should I just stay off the net download Avast or some other AV and then just update Windows from there? The main reason I'm asking is, I've had issues updating Norton when I've had Avast and Online Armor or any other free firewall. Thanks in advance

Thanks Josdin

i_bleed_purple is offline Jersey Retired
    Blog Entries

Re: Computer question part 2

Generally, you shouldn't run two different Firewalls, Anti-Viruses, etc. They don't cooperate well together, Just stick with one and go for that. Avast and AVG are free, and they provide most of the protection you'll need. They also don't slow you down as much as Norton.

A side note: Download Spybot Search & Destroy. Its a very good spyware removal program. I like to run it monthly and you'd be surprised the crap it will clean out.

marstc09 is offline Jersey Retired

Re:Computer question part 2

Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware is a beast. Use it. Use Spybot Search & Destroy like bleed said too. Avoid Norton or McAfee. I use Avast and it has never failed me.

Would Avast be enough coverage to update Windows and all that jazz without a firewall since that is what seemed to give me the most problems last time?

Thanks Josdin

Blog Entries

mnvikes61 wrote:
    Would Avast be enough coverage to update Windows and all that jazz without a firewall since that is what seemed to give me the most problems last time?
    I'm not getting what the question is.

You don't need a firewall to update windows.

personally, if you're having issues, I'd disable the firewall while the Windows updates are downloading, then re-enable it once completed. Unless you're having a problem with attacks, you'll likely be fine for that short period of time.

out of curiosity, what OS are you running?

Erinnn is offline Starter

Re: Computer question part 2

i_bleed_purple wrote:
    A side note: Download Spybot Search & Destroy. Its a very good spyware removal program. I like to run it monthly and you'd be surprised the crap it will clean out.
    I use both Spybot and SuperAntiSpyware. Almost every time I run them one finds something that the other didn't, but SAS seems to take a lot longer to run than Spybot.

I'm running Windows XP.

I'll pose it as two separate scenarios since I having trouble putting in a simple sentence that makes sense:

Scenario 1: I start my computer with Norton and its internet security since I have never had a problem with updating Windows while using Norton. After Windows is updated remove Norton and then install Avast, a firewall and malware protection.

Scenario 2: I start up the computer and immediately uninstall Norton and install Avast and malware protection. Allow Windows to update before installing a firewall since it seemed to conflict with Windows trying to update.

How do you know if you're being attacked while on-line?

It seems Windows has updated quite a bit since my computer went down. Around 150 updates before it wants to update to XP service pack 3 and then around 20 or so more updates. Overall I think it takes about 25-30 for each one.

Thanks Josdin

Traveling_Vike is offline Coordinator

Unless my aging brain is developing alzheimer's, I am pretty sure that WinXP comes with a built-in firewall. You can use that for your updates, as it has never caused any problems for me when updating. It may be pretty crappy as firewalls go, but it should do the job for that short period of time.

One thing MS has always been good at is making sure that their own stuff makes exceptions to their own rules. Windows updates are expressly unblocked by Windows Firewall.

Don't bother with Norton at all.

Once the updates are complete, disable the Windows built-in firewall and install and use the firewall of your choice.

I'll also add my vote of confidence in both Avast and Spybot S&D. I've used both for quite a while, with great success.

My Meeple is purple. What color is yours?

Blog Entries

TV is right, XP does have a built-in firewall, but its not very good. However, as far as doign Windows updates, it will suffice. Disable your current firewall, and use Windows firewall (You can turn it on in the Control Panel)

Also, for your updates, SP3 should contain all the individual updates your'e trying to install. I'm about 95% sure of this. If its not offered as an update, try and download the standalone installer from microsoft.com. Having said that, I'm not sure if you need SP2 installed first or not, you might need it though.

marshallvike is offline Team Alumni

Traveling_Vike wrote:
    Unless my aging brain is developing alzheimer's, I am pretty sure that WinXP comes with a built-in firewall. You can use that for your updates, as it has never caused any problems for me when updating. It may be pretty crappy as firewalls go, but it should do the job for that short period of time.

One thing MS has always been good at is making sure that their own stuff makes exceptions to their own rules. Windows updates are expressly unblocked by Windows Firewall.

Don't bother with Norton at all.

Once the updates are complete, disable the Windows built-in firewall and install and use the firewall of your choice.

I'll also add my vote of confidence in both Avast and Spybot S&D. I've used both for quite a while, with great success.
    Very good advice TV. Norton is very cumbersome, also had it crash my pc on install one time. haven't used it since. I use AVG on one laptop and Avast on another. Both do well and are free on C-Net downloads. Avast seems to stop a number of real time attacks. It is good to have a number of spyware/malware programs. No program can catch everything. Just do not keep all active in real time protection. update and scan manually on some to avoid conflicts. CCleaner is a fast, decent cleaner to run on occcasion. I also keep super anti spyware and malware bytes on this laptop, but the scans are slower and have not caught anything on manual scans. I guess AVG and spybot must be doing a good job of protection.
    Why must you defend everything this FO does....to the point of making your self look like a yes man.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast