Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    FedjeViking is offline Ring of Fame

Computer Program Advice Needed Please

I need some advice, and please no jokes, as this is very important to my education.

I have audio books on my computer in Windows Media Audio (WMA) format, encoded at a bit rate of 37kbps. I started to burn them to CD's to listen on my car player, but one book would almost take 16-17 CD's! Is there a program to convert these files to another format so they take less room on CD's?

I also would like to transfer them to an ipod to listen to them on my 1 1/2 hour drive to school each day, and between classes. So a program that could do both would be great.

This is my new technical learning for this semester. :lol: And to think I never touched a computer before 4 years ago!
    [move]"Our day WILL come!! I just hope I LIVE long enough to see it!"[/move]

ultravikingfan is offline Administrator

Re: Computer Program Advice Needed Please

I do not think so.

You can maybe just save part of one and burn it. How big is the file? I disc in 70 mb and sound does not take up that much in the first place.

RK.
    RK. is offline Ring of Fame Rally Cross II Champion

You just need to convert your WMA files to MP3 as long as your player can handle MP3 files. If your car stereo is older and won't play MP3 then you have to convert them to wav files. There are tons of programs to do this. Many are either free or you can try them for free for like 30 days. Just type "convert wma to mp3 free" into google and you will find lots of links to programs that will do this for you. :smile:

WWBGD

hailtocarter is offline Asst. Coach

Do what RK said!

I would recommend Roxio as a program. If you wanted I could burn u a copy and mail it to ya.

Does the file size increase when changing from WMA to other files? The book is 243MB but when I try to burn it on a brand new 700MB CD-R it says it won't fit.

"hailtocarter" wrote:
    Do what RK said!

I would recommend Roxio as a program. If you wanted I could burn u a copy and mail it to ya.
    I have Roxio, but I downloaded the book from Soundsgood.com and they say it needs to be burned through Media Player.

ultravikingfan is offline Administrator

"FedjeViking" wrote:
    Does the file size increase when changing from WMA to other files? The book is 243MB but when I try to burn it on a brand new 700MB CD-R it says it won't fit.
    Something does not sound right then, should fit.

RK.
    RK. is offline Ring of Fame Rally Cross II Champion

"FedjeViking" wrote:
    MP3 is a much smaller file than WMA. Higher compression. Try burning it with a prog like Nero. Media player sucks as a burning prog.

I use audio grabber for conversions. Its a great tool. I think they have a free version that will do what you want.

http://www.audiograbber.com-us.net/

WWBGD

BearsTroll is offline Rookie

when a disc says 700mb it means 700mb for a data cd, think of this as something symilar to a floppy disc, you cant play it in a cd player, only on computers. if you want to play it in a cd player discs usually hold 80min each. although you can buy more expensive discs that have more space.

Poor randy

gregair13 is offline Jersey Retired

Nero is the burning program for me. works great.
    if you want, you can buy a mp3 cd player/disc man (isnt too expensive) and then you can convert the file into mp3 format (program for that easily found on google) and then burn it and listen to it. thats what i would do. or if you have an ipod, or something alike, that would work as well.
    We're bringing purple back.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast