Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    AngloVike is offline Jersey Retired
    Blog Entries

Coming to London? - keep your wits about you for terror atacks

[size=11pt]A car bomb planted in central London would have caused "carnage" if it had exploded, police sources have said. [/size]

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/6252276.stm

If you are, or have friends/relatives coming over in the next few weeks - then please be sure to keep eyes open wits about you. Thankfully this one was stopped but next time we might not be so lucky.
    Time spent annoying a Packer fan is never time wasted...

NodakPaul is offline Jersey Retired
    Blog Entries

Re: Coming to London? - keep your wits about you for terror atacks

Good job to the people that reported the car, and to the emergency services personnel for averting a potential tragedy.
    Zeus wrote:
    When are you going to realize that picking out the 20 bad throws this year and ignoring the 300 good ones does not make your point?

=Z=

cajunvike is offline Jersey Retired

Good job, Brits!!!
    BANNED OR DEAD...I'LL TAKE EITHER ONE

Marrdro is offline Beware My Spreadsheet, Bitches!

Sad day indeed my friends.
    Glad to hear this thing was stopped.

Us infidels need to understand that it doesn't matter who we elect, or what our country does for them, they hate us and will continue to try to kill us no matter what sect they belong to.

http://www.talkaboutreligion.com/gro...es/167692.html

http://quod.lib.umich.edu/cgi/k/kora...V0&byte=797085

http://www.wvinter.net/~haught/Koran.html
    Many many thanks to my talented friend Jos for the new Sig.http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v343/josdin00/Vikings/Marrdro_sig.jpg

The Dropper is offline Star Spokesman

Two foiled attacks in two years? Bravo to British intelligence!
    We should get these guys to train Iraqis to do the same. Obviously they're talented.

vikingivan is offline Star Spokesman

You have to hand it to the Brit's.
    They don't screw around.
    If they suspect you might be a terrorist they will gun you down in the subway.
    That guy did run though so he did deserve it.
    It seems here we are to concerned with a persons constitutional rights.
    There is only one way to deal with terrorists.
    Shoot first and ask questions later.

Zeus is offline Jersey Retired

"AngloVike" wrote:

[size=11pt]A car bomb planted in central London would have caused "carnage" if it had exploded, police sources have said. [/size]

If you are, or have friends/relatives coming over in the next few weeks - then please be sure to keep eyes open wits about you. Thankfully this one was stopped but next time we might not be so lucky.
    From my reading of this story and a couple earlier ones, I don't really see how the British Government did anything to prevent this from happening.
    The bomb was placed (crashing into some rubbish cans) and failed to detonate.
    The guy who was driving (suicide bomber, maybe?) then got out and ran away.
    This article talks about an ambulance, responding to something else which noticed the car was smoking and called it in - again, indicating that the bomb just plain didn't work.

Scary stuff.

=Z=

Thanks to Josdin for the awesome sig!

Blog Entries

"Zeus" wrote:
    "AngloVike" wrote:

From my reading of this story and a couple earlier ones, I don't really see how the British Government did anything to prevent this from happening.
    This article talks about an ambulance, responding to something else which noticed the car was smoking and called it in - again, indicating that the bomb just plain didn't work.

Scary stuff.

=Z=
    I didn't read it that way at all.
    The way I read it the bomber was in the process of setting it up and got caught.
    It wasn't smoking, what they saw was the vapor from the fuel - which had to be a helluva lot for it to be visible like that.
    If the bomber was a suicide bomber who really wanted to set it off, all he would have had to do was turn the ignition and hit the cigarette lighter or light a match with that much vapor in the air.

The ambulance was the first to arrive, then the firefighters, and then the police, who cordoned off the area and detonated it safely, and managed to keep the car itself as evidence.
    Sounds like a pretty damn good job by everyone involved to me.
    Zeus wrote:
    When are you going to realize that picking out the 20 bad throws this year and ignoring the 300 good ones does not make your point?

=Z=

Zeus is offline Jersey Retired

"NodakPaul" wrote:
    "Zeus" wrote:
    "AngloVike" wrote:

Scary stuff.

=Z=
    I didn't read it that way at all.
    The way I read it the bomber was in the process of setting it up and got caught.
    It wasn't smoking, what they saw was the vapor from the fuel - which had to be a helluva lot for it to be visible like that.
    If the bomber was a suicide bomber who really wanted to set it off, all he would have had to do was turn the ignition and hit the cigarette lighter or light a match with that much vapor in the air.

The ambulance was the first to arrive, then the firefighters, and then the police, who cordoned off the area and detonated it safely, and managed to keep the car itself as evidence.
    Sounds like a pretty damn good job by everyone involved to me.
    From the BBC article:
    An ambulance crew saw smoke coming from the green Mercedes, near the Tiger Tiger nightclub at 0130BST (030GMT).
    The ambulance had been called to the nightclub - where up to 1,700 people were inside - when they spotted smoke, now believed to be vapour, inside the car.
    Earlier reports said bouncers from a nearby nightclub saw the car being driven erratically before it crashed into a bin. They claimed the driver then got out and ran off.
    INVESTIGATION TIMELINE
    0125 London Ambulance Service called to Tiger Tiger club to treat sick person. Crew notice smoke from Mercedes outside
    0200 Police called to investigate suspicious vehicle. Area cordoned off while explosives officers examine vehicle
    Police disable "potentially viable" explosive device. Vehicle contains petrol, gas cylinders and nails
    0400 Witness sees police removing gas canisters
    0800 Piccadilly Circus Tube station closed
    1000 Prime Minister Gordon Brown says country faces "serious threat"
    1025 Car removed from Haymarket
    1030 Government emergency response committee Cobra meets
    1030 Piccadilly Circus Tube station reopened
    I don't see anything which speaks of a bomber being in the process of setting it up.
    Again - it's my initial interpretation, and it sound like the London Police responded quite quickly - but I'm gonna stand by my initial read of a failed detonation until I see something which contradicts that.

=Z=

Thanks to Josdin for the awesome sig!

Blog Entries

"Zeus" wrote:
    Earlier reports said bouncers from a nearby nightclub saw the car being driven erratically before it crashed into a bin. They claimed the driver then got out and ran off.
    I don't see anything which speaks of a bomber being in the process of setting it up.
    Again - it's my initial interpretation, and it sound like the London Police responded quite quickly - but I'm gonna stand by my initial read of a failed detonation until I see something which contradicts that.

=Z=
    That is what I meant by setting it up.
    He was driving the car out to the scene to put it into position but crashed it and fled.
    Using the car bombs that are way to prevalent in Iraq as a model, they usually don't crash them into some garbage cans to detonate them.
    Instead they drive the up to a very public place and set it off with a controlled explosion.

I missed the part about the ambulance being called for a sick person and noticing it.
    That actually speaks even more for the ambulance crew for being on top of it.

I think the difference is you believe that the bomb was supposed to go off when he crashed it, and I thought the bomb was supposed to be set off with some type of ignition device - maybe early the next morning during the morning commute.
    So where you blame the stupidity of a bomber, I applaud the attention of the ambulance crew, and the bravery and quick response of the police and fire fighters.
    Zeus wrote:

=Z=

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast