Prophet is offline Jersey Retired

Colts To Rest Starters For First Game Of Playoffs

January 12, 2010 | Issue 46•01 | O Sports

INDIANAPOLIS—At his weekly press conference Monday, Colts head coach Jim Caldwell announced that he will rest key starters during the divisional round of the AFC playoffs to keep his players fresh for a Super Bowl run. "You can't win the Super Bowl if you don't get there with all your players healthy," said Caldwell, who added that next Saturday quarterback Peyton Manning would probably get the first two series, which will mostly be comprised of running plays. "Dwight [Freeney] and Dallas [Clark] will get about a quarter in the AFC Championship game. But honestly, even if we make it to the Super Bowl, I can't see playing these guys the whole game. The 2010 season is closer than you think." Throughout the entire press conference Manning could be seen in full uniform, stalking and pacing in the back of the room.
    Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please. Mark Twain

jargomcfargo is offline Ring of Fame

Re:Colts To Rest Starters For First Game Of Playoffs

Prophet wrote:
    January 12, 2010 | Issue 46•01 | O Sports

INDIANAPOLIS—At his weekly press conference Monday, Colts head coach Jim Caldwell announced that he will rest key starters during the divisional round of the AFC playoffs to keep his players fresh for a Super Bowl run. "You can't win the Super Bowl if you don't get there with all your players healthy," said Caldwell, who added that next Saturday quarterback Peyton Manning would probably get the first two series, which will mostly be comprised of running plays. "Dwight [Freeney] and Dallas [Clark] will get about a quarter in the AFC Championship game. But honestly, even if we make it to the Super Bowl, I can't see playing these guys the whole game. The 2010 season is closer than you think." Throughout the entire press conference Manning could be seen in full uniform, stalking and pacing in the back of the room.
    Caldwell could learn something from Childress. Instead of resting players, Childress will not reveal any of his double secret trick plays until the superbowl. No sense in showing anything in a lowly divisional game.
    “What takes a quarterback to the next level is not arm strength or mobility or any of that stuff. It’s the ability to play on critical downs. Manage third downs, or red zones or four-minute or two-minute situations"
    Dilfer

jargomcfargo wrote:
    ...Caldwell could learn something from Childress. Instead of resting players, Childress will not reveal any of his double secret trick plays until the superbowl. No sense in showing anything in a lowly divisional game.
    No doubt. I can hardly wait for the I formation with Favre under center with TJack and Rosenfels in the backfield with Harvin and Berrian criss-crossing routes on a double reverse/fake pass that results in -27 yds. That will throw their defense off. It's all in misdirectional trick plays that are made to be flops so the defense becomes overconfident.
    Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please. Mark Twain

VikingMike is offline Jersey Retired

Re:Colts To Rest Starters For First Game Of Playof

Prophet wrote:
    jargomcfargo wrote:
    ...Caldwell could learn something from Childress. Instead of resting players, Childress will not reveal any of his double secret trick plays until the superbowl. No sense in showing anything in a lowly divisional game.
    No doubt. I can hardly wait for the I formation with Favre under center with TJack and Rosenfels in the backfield with Harvin and Berrian criss-crossing routes on a double reverse/fake pass that results in -27 yds. That will throw their defense off. It's all in misdirectional trick plays that are made to be flops so the defense becomes overconfident.

Very true...you never want to tip your hand, nor do you want to tire your players out in a meaningless divisional playoff. Save them for the all-important Conference game and the Super Bowl. Your fans will love you for it.
    Any man who afflicts the human race with ideas must be prepared to see them misunderstood. - H.L. Mencken

Come from the land of the ice and snow...

BadlandsVikings is offline Jersey Retired

Manning will be ok if he rubs onions on his forhead

Colts feeling as fresh as a preseason game
    sportsp.com
    January 15th 2010

Thanks to not playing a full game for almost a month, Indianapolis Colts regulars say they feel as fresh as though their divisional round playoff game against the Ravens is a preseason game. "So rested. Like I haven't played for months," said wide receiver Pierre Garcon. "Whereas the Ravens are going to be all beat up. Although, granted, they probably remember their plays." Defensive end Dwight Freeney isn't worried about the layoff. "Rust isn't a concern," he said. "I was rusty a week ago. Now I'm just out of shape. Anyone who talks about us being rusty doesn't know what they're talking about. Now if you'll excuse me, I need to sit down. All of this talking has me winded."