Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    erik5032 is offline Star Spokesman

Re: College presidents seek drinking age debate

plagiarism 101.
    actually it isn't... my uncle is a Nurse and he actually told this to me and gave me the right to use it
    :P

Prophet is offline Jersey Retired

"erik5032" wrote:
    plagiarism 101.
    actually it isn't... my uncle is a Nurse and he actually told this to me and gave me the right to use it
    Yeah, that's why this site: http://findarticles.com/p/articles/mi_m0CXH/is_4_26/ai_106731276/pg_2 has the exact same information as your second paragraph.

Just reference your stuff when it's not your own.
    It's not that difficult and plagiarism is frowned upon.
    Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please. Mark Twain

BloodyHorns82 is offline Jersey Retired Feed The Frog Champion

"The" wrote:
    "ItalianStallion" wrote:
    "jmcdon00" wrote:
    It should be 16, if your old enough to drive a 2 ton vehicle 70mph down the freeway your old enough to have a beer.
    Preferably not at the same time, but I agree.
    Personally I doesn't even make sense to have a legal age.
    Alcohol is accessible to anyone who wants it.
    There will always be irresponsible drinkers, all your doing is changing the age when they can be irresponsible.
    I bet if people we accustomed to drinking their whole lives and there wasn't such a stigma or intrigue attached to it, there would be a lot less binge drinking and alcohol-related crimes comitted.
    ^^^THIS.

You pretty much hit it on the head, Stallion. If Americans could get out more and see how Europe operates with its alcohol, for example (probably even less likely to happen with a dollar in continual decline), they would see that when alcohol becomes part of the culture of socialization at an early age, it can be taught responsibly. Drinking with family at a young age helps a youngster learn their limits and test the waters in a safe environment. One of the biggest problems in the US is that kids learn how to drink from their idiotic and inexperienced friends in an environment that is anything but safe. It is far preferable to learn what a hangover feels like at say, 15, with your family making sure you get to bed and drink plenty of water than to learn about having too much by crashing your car on the way home from a party or ending up in the ER from alcohol poisoning.

Elizabeth Dole can eat a dick in a fire.
    My parents took this approach with me growing up.
    I think my ol' man handed me my first beer around 13 or 14 when we were outside hiking around.
    Throughout my teenage years I was allowed to drink in moderation with my parents (and out of moderation when deer hunting with the rest of the men
    ;D)

I had the police call my parents one time when we got busted at a party at the good friend neighbors' place but I didn't get in any trouble because I had hardly any booze in me and was staying the night there.

My other friend who was at the same party had a different experience with his parents.
    They made him move away for 28 days to a treatment facility.
    Both of us drink about the same amount today (10 years later) and have had no major run ins with the law so take what you will out of it.
    Both approaches worked out in the end.

"Prophet" wrote:
    "erik5032" wrote:
    plagiarism 101.
    Yeah, that's why this site: http://findarticles.com/p/articles/mi_m0CXH/is_4_26/ai_106731276/pg_2 has the exact same information as your second paragraph.

The information that i wrote is not any knowledge that would be unknown by a doctor/nurse. I didn't take it from that site... The reason my uncle wrote me that is because my cousin was found drunk and he got worried that i may be drinking so he sent me an email with a bunch of information on drinking etc. Maybe he
    used some info from websites, but i didn't just take it from a website. Believe me if you will, but whatever. I did read that paragraph and it is the same info but not where i got it from. I could site my uncle or ask him were he got it if you want.

C Mac D is offline Posting to P'own

"erik5032" wrote:
    "Prophet" wrote:
    "erik5032" wrote:
    plagiarism 101.

The information that i wrote is not any knowledge that would be unknown by a doctor/nurse. I didn't take it from that site... The reason my uncle wrote me that is because my cousin was found drunk and he got worried that i may be drinking so he sent me an email with a bunch of information on drinking etc. Maybe he
    used some info from websites, but i didn't just take it from a website. Believe me if you will, but whatever. I did read that paragraph and it is the same info but not where i got it from. I could site my uncle or ask him were he got it if you want.
    Unless your uncle wrote that info, then gave you permission, it's plagiarism dude...
    Disclaimer: I'm an idiot.

Ok well i just checked the email. and at the very bottom is some sources oops. Anyways thought he wrote it and didn't copy it oh well here is were he got the info

http://alcoholism.about.com/cs/genetics/a/blacer040115_2.htm

http://pubs.niaaa.nih.gov/publications/AA67/AA67.htm

http://www.berkeleydailyplanet.com/issue/2008-08-14/article/30850?headline=Kids-Alcohol-and-Science-A-Warning-to-Parents

http://findarticles.com/p/articles/mi_m0CXH/is_4_26/ai_106731276/pg_2
    (wow, ok this is the site)

Anyways sorry to the forum, i broke a rule and i apologize.

ItalianStallion is offline Jersey Retired

"erik5032" wrote:

Drinking at an age like lets say 15 or 16 is dangerous. The brain is still developing as are other organs.
    Define developing.
    Our body is constantly ageing and developing.
    Our brain develops as we learn, new dendrites and connections are formed, however the number of axons in our brain remains constant for pretty much our entire life.
    Alcohol abuse is always dangerous, the key is to remove the stigma attached with underage drinking (which is a big part of why alchol abuse happens in adolescence).
    Honeslty if you go to countries where people have been exposed to wine or drinking their whole lives, I'm sure you would see less incidence of alcohol abuse later on in life.

With the adolescent body changing so rapidly, it is easier for alcohol to cause problems. Early use of alcohol can lead to alcohol dependence later in life.
    Alcohol would only cause problems if it was abused.
    At such low concentrations (a drink a day), most would get metabolized before any damage could occur.
    If concentration reached high levels, then of course it can damage the brain, it can at any age.

It can also lead to extended memory loss by actually shrinking parts of the brain. And, even though many kids think they are Drinking to alleviate stress, depression or anxiety, alcohol actually increases those problems.
    Again, this can happen at any age.

Striking physical changes occur in the brain during adolescence, including the maturation of new brain constituents (formation of additional connections between nerve cells) as well as a prominent loss of some existing connections. Adolescence-associated changes in the brain's dopamine system may affect the way important neural messenger communicates with the parts of the brain. Alcohol can slow this process (which just isn't good)
    Not alcohol in moderation, but alcohol abuse.

Again, most of the physiological issues with drinking (at any age) are associated with binge drinking and alcohol abuse.
    If there is a study that shows drinking less than 5 drinks a weeks and/or a max of 1 drink a day results in serious issues, I'll change my opinion.

Most of the issues with having a legal age are more related to the social aspect of drinking, not the health-related aspect.
    As was said, in European countries where people have drank their whole lives, I would hypothesize that the incidence of alcohol-related morbidity and mortality is much lower than in the US.

I m like a Ja Rule poster, cause I'm off the wall.

"ItalianStallion" wrote:
    "erik5032" wrote:

Drinking at an age like lets say 15 or 16 is dangerous. The brain is still developing as are other organs.
    Define developing.
    Our body is constantly ageing and developing.
    Our brain develops as we learn, new dendrites and connections are formed, however the number of axons in our brain remains constant for pretty much our entire life.
    Alcohol abuse is always dangerous, the key is to remove the stigma attached with underage drinking (which is a big part of why alchol abuse happens in adolescence).
    Honeslty if you go to countries where people have been exposed to wine or drinking their whole lives, I'm sure you would see less incidence of alcohol abuse later on in life.

With the adolescent body changing so rapidly, it is easier for alcohol to cause problems. Early use of alcohol can lead to alcohol dependence later in life.
    Alcohol would only cause problems if it was abused.
    At such low concentrations (a drink a day), most would get metabolized before any damage could occur.
    If concentration reached high levels, then of course it can damage the brain, it can at any age.

It can also lead to extended memory loss by actually shrinking parts of the brain. And, even though many kids think they are Drinking to alleviate stress, depression or anxiety, alcohol actually increases those problems.
    Again, this can happen at any age.

Striking physical changes occur in the brain during adolescence, including the maturation of new brain constituents (formation of additional connections between nerve cells) as well as a prominent loss of some existing connections. Adolescence-associated changes in the brain's dopamine system may affect the way important neural messenger communicates with the parts of the brain. Alcohol can slow this process (which just isn't good)
    Not alcohol in moderation, but alcohol abuse.

Again, most of the physiological issues with drinking (at any age) are associated with binge drinking and alcohol abuse.
    If there is a study that shows drinking less than 5 drinks a weeks and/or a max of 1 drink a day results in serious issues, I'll change my opinion.

Most of the issues with having a legal age are more related to the social aspect of drinking, not the health-related aspect.
    As was said, in European countries where people have drank their whole lives, I would hypothesize that the incidence of alcohol-related morbidity and mortality is much lower than in the US.
    I see what you are saying but the Brain stops "developing" at i believe 20 doesn't it? again most kids that do drink underage aren't drinking for the taste or in moderation they are abusing it.

I do see your points though.

Prophet is offline Jersey Retired

"erik5032" wrote:
    Ok well i just checked the email. and at the very bottom is some sources oops. Anyways thought he wrote it and didn't copy it oh well here is were he got the info

http://www.berkeleydailyplanet.com/issue/2008-08-14/article/30850?headline=Kids-Alcohol-and-Science-A-Warning-to-Parents

Don't worry about it, cheap lesson.
    You can lose your degree at the university for plagiarism, get canned, etc.
    Just a good thing to know and follow in life.
    Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please. Mark Twain

BloodyHorns82 is offline Jersey Retired Feed The Frog Champion

"erik5032" wrote:

Your good stuff man.
    Don't sweat it.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast