Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    erik5032 is offline Star Spokesman

Re: College presidents seek drinking age debate

"jmcdon00" wrote:
    It should be 16, if your old enough to drive a 2 ton vehicle 70mph down the freeway your old enough to have a beer.
    That makes no sense what-so-ever... go drive oh hear have a beer with it lol

"ItalianStallion" wrote:
    "jmcdon00" wrote:
    It should be 16, if your old enough to drive a 2 ton vehicle 70mph down the freeway your old enough to have a beer.
    Preferably not at the same time, but I agree.
    Personally I doesn't even make sense to have a legal age.
    Alcohol is accessible to anyone who wants it.
    There will always be irresponsible drinkers, all your doing is changing the age when they can be irresponsible.
    I bet if people we accustomed to drinking their whole lives and there wasn't such a stigma or intrigue attached to it, there would be a lot less binge drinking and alcohol-related crimes comitted.
    I won't even go into the medical reasons why there needs to be a age limit.

gregair13 is offline Jersey Retired

Its 18 where I am from, here in Alberta.
    What about making the legal age a high school dipolma? That would create some controvery.
    We're bringing purple back.

I have to agree with erik5032...there is no point in changing the age.
    From the time you turn 18 and go to college...until probably about the age of 23, maybe even a couple of more years depending on your maturity, your gonna drink and in some cases drink heavily if you feel like it.
    Thats pretty much college life...ride it until the wheels fall off.
    Deliver us oh Lord, from the Fury of the Northmen.
    "Anonymous Christian Monk"

ItalianStallion is offline Jersey Retired

"erik5032" wrote:
    "ItalianStallion" wrote:
    "jmcdon00" wrote:
    There will always be irresponsible drinkers, all your doing is changing the age when they can be irresponsible.
    I bet if people we accustomed to drinking their whole lives and there wasn't such a stigma or intrigue attached to it, there would be a lot less binge drinking and alcohol-related crimes comitted.

Please do...

I m like a Ja Rule poster, cause I'm off the wall.

C Mac D is offline Posting to P'own

"VikingsExpress" wrote:
    From the time you turn 18 and go to college...until probably about the age of 23, maybe even a couple of more years depending on your maturity, your gonna drink and in some cases drink heavily if you feel like it.
    My only problem with is the fact that we can send soldiers off to war, but can't give them a beer before they go.

We contradict ourselves with our society's definition of an "Adult."

Disclaimer: I'm an idiot.

The Dropper is offline Star Spokesman

"ItalianStallion" wrote:
    "jmcdon00" wrote:
    ^^^THIS.

You pretty much hit it on the head, Stallion. If Americans could get out more and see how Europe operates with its alcohol, for example (probably even less likely to happen with a dollar in continual decline), they would see that when alcohol becomes part of the culture of socialization at an early age, it can be taught responsibly. Drinking with family at a young age helps a youngster learn their limits and test the waters in a safe environment. One of the biggest problems in the US is that kids learn how to drink from their idiotic and inexperienced friends in an environment that is anything but safe. It is far preferable to learn what a hangover feels like at say, 15, with your family making sure you get to bed and drink plenty of water than to learn about having too much by crashing your car on the way home from a party or ending up in the ER from alcohol poisoning.

Elizabeth Dole can eat a dick in a fire.

"ItalianStallion" wrote:
    "erik5032" wrote:
    "ItalianStallion" wrote:
    "jmcdon00" wrote:

Please do...
    Drinking at an age like lets say 15 or 16 is dangerous. The brain is still developing as are other organs. With the adolescent body changing so rapidly, it is easier for alcohol to cause problems. Early use of alcohol can lead to alcohol dependence later in life. It can also lead to extended memory loss by actually shrinking parts of the brain. And, even though many kids think they are Drinking to alleviate stress, depression or anxiety, alcohol actually increases those problems.

Striking physical changes occur in the brain during adolescence, including the maturation of new brain constituents (formation of additional connections between nerve cells) as well as a prominent loss of some existing connections. Adolescence-associated changes in the brain's dopamine system may affect the way important neural messenger communicates with the parts of the brain. Alcohol can slow this process (which just isn't good)

But I do agree with "The Dropper" with the learning to drink responsibly.

BloodyHorns82 is offline Jersey Retired Feed The Frog Champion

"C" wrote:
    "VikingsExpress" wrote:
    My only problem with is the fact that we can send soldiers off to war, but can't give them a beer before they go.

We contradict ourselves with our society's definition of an "Adult."

Great point.

I think they can drink once they're deployed but not before that, which is still BS.
    Most of those "kids" are more of a man at age 19
    then we'll ever be.

Prophet is offline Jersey Retired

"erik5032" wrote:
    "ItalianStallion" wrote:
    "erik5032" wrote:
    "ItalianStallion" wrote:
    "jmcdon00" wrote:

Please do...
    Drinking at an age like lets say 15 or 16 is dangerous. The brain is still developing as are other organs. With the adolescent body changing so rapidly, it is easier for alcohol to cause problems. Early use of alcohol can lead to alcohol dependence later in life. It can also lead to extended memory loss by actually shrinking parts of the brain. And, even though many kids think they are Drinking to alleviate stress, depression or anxiety, alcohol actually increases those problems.

Striking physical changes occur in the brain during adolescence, including the maturation of new brain constituents (formation of additional connections between nerve cells) as well as a prominent loss of some existing connections. Adolescence-associated changes in the brain's dopamine system may affect the way important neural messenger communicates with the parts of the brain. Alcohol can slow or even stop this process.
    plagiarism 101.
    Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please. Mark Twain

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast