BadlandsVikings is offline Jersey Retired

City may set up panel to stop bad odors

I wonder if they are just smelling Del's feet

OGDEN, Utah - The city may be looking for a few good noses. When it meets Tuesday, the City Council is expected to set a public hearing for a law that would create a committee to sniff out objectionable odors.

Ogden's chief administrator, John Patterson, said the city is not singling out a specific company for enforcement. But there have been complaints about a pet-food factory, American Nutrition Inc.

Despite promises, American Nutrition has failed to install an exhaust scrubber on three ovens that bake treats for dogs and cats, Patterson said.

"Stench is not the lasting memory that we want people to have in Ogden," he said.

Councilwoman Dorrene Jeske said an ordinance is overdue.

"The odor from the American Nutrition plant may have hindered us from getting some businesses along Wall Avenue," she said.

Company executive Bill Behnken was away from his office Monday and unavailable for comment.

American Nutrition last year said it had installed scrubbers on equipment used to produce kibble products from a mix of corn, wheat, rice meal and meat products, the Standard-Examiner reported.

In addition to creating a sniff patrol, the ordinance would also require companies to adopt technology or change practices to reduce or eliminate bad odors. Violators would be fined $125 to $500.

A panel consisting of a city building official and three residents appointed by Mayor Matthew Godfrey would investigate complaints.

A device known as an olfactometer would be used by city inspectors to determine if an odor had reached an objectionable level. Restaurants and bakeries would be exempt.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20070410/ap_on_fe_st/sniff_squad

Prophet is offline Jersey Retired

Re: City may set up panel to stop bad odors

...A device known as an olfactometer would be used by city inspectors to determine if an odor had reached an objectionable level....
    Is this for individuals too?
    Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please. Mark Twain

whackthepack is offline Jersey Retired

stiff penalty there $125 to $500 dollars.

OK I am the dog food company I pay their fine and laugh at them.

The scrubbers they want probably cost hundreds of thousands of dollars and you are going to fine me $500.00?
    Here's my check see ya next year.
    What we've got here is failure to communicate.

Thats complete bull that bakeries will be exempt. At that point your leaving what decides a bad smell opposed to a good one in the lawmakers hands. I've thought certain restaurants smell bad when others thought they smelled good. At the same time, I like the smell of farms, not so much the manuer, but many people don't. I just think if they're really going to make a "smell law" it should incorporate everyone.
    Wait, if there's cat food in this bag............................
    I HAVE TO CHECK ON JOLLY!!!!