Zeus is offline Jersey Retired

Christmas Book Reviews

Been working on my "got these for Christmas" book list - and here are a few quick reviews:

Born Standing Up: A Comic's Life by Steve Martin
    If you were a boy in the late 70s, like me, then you probably sang "Grandpa...bought a rubber!" with all the irony a 10-year-old boy could muster, since you really didn't get it.
    That was me.
    I was getting small without any clue of the drug culture - and loving it.
    So I was really looking forward to getting that book.
    Didn't get it - but when I traded in one of the two copies of "A Tradition of Purple", I picked it up.
    I really enjoyed this book - although, he really really really rushes over the last few years (almost like he was up against a deadline and needed to get this out), which I found disappointing.
    If you enjoyed the "Wild and Crazy Guy" and "Let's Get Small" comedy albums from Martin, you'll enjoy this book.

Playing for Pizza by John Grisham
    The story of a 3rd-string QB who blows his chance in the AFC Championship and then ends up playing pro football in Italy, this is a FABULOUS read.
    I can't say too much about it w/out giving away the details, but if you're looking for a well-written football story with delicious descriptions of Italian cuisine, then this is the one.

A Tradition of Purple by Jim Bruton
    I'm only 4 chapters into it, and it will be a struggle to finish it.
    Not because the material isn't interesting, but because it is so horribly written and edited.
    I'm rather disappointed, to be blunt, because there is a great book in there, if someone had bothered to take the time to help Bruton out with his prose and storytelling.
    The first chapter, for example, is supposedly about the birth of the Vikings - but the story of how the franchise was awarded to Max Winter and the TC area is glossed over in favor of brief anecdotes about Winter and some of the other founding fathers.
    As I said - it's a shame.
    I'll make my way through it, because I want to read the stuff, but it really is a shame that this is such a mess.

That's it for now.
    Hope this helps you make some decisions on future reading choices!

=Z=

Thanks to Josdin for the awesome sig!

cogitans is offline Jersey Retired

Re: Christmas Book Reviews

"Zeus" wrote:

Not because the material isn't interesting, but because it is so horribly written and edited.
    I'm rather disappointed, to be blunt, because there is a great book in there, if someone had bothered to take the time to help Bruton out with his prose and storytelling.
    The first chapter, for example, is supposedly about the birth of the Vikings - but the story of how the franchise was awarded to Max Winter and the TC area is glossed over in favor of brief anecdotes about Winter and some of the other founding fathers.
    I'll make my way through it, because I want to read the stuff, but it really is a shame that this is such a mess.
    I recently received this book as a gift too. It's good for a clueless fan like me to read up on a little history.

I thought it had a lot of nice anecdotes and side stories. However just like you I thought it were badly written. I don't think I have ever read a more chaotic book. He can jump from one story to the next without blinking an eye, it's giving you a constant headache reading it.

Thanks to PPE for the sig.

Zeus is offline Jersey Retired

Re: Christmas Book Reviews

"cogitans" wrote:
    "Zeus" wrote:

I recently received this book as a gift too. It's good for a clueless fan like me to read up on a little history.

I thought it had a lot of nice anecdotes and side stories. However just like you I thought it were badly written. I don't think I have ever read a more chaotic book. He can jump from one story to the next without blinking an eye, it's giving you a constant headache reading it.
    Yup - I can only handle a chapter at a time.

=Z=

Thanks to Josdin for the awesome sig!