Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    zimtwister is offline Coach

CHILD SUPPORT BILL PASSED!

yaaaaaaaaaaay this will help fathers in mn. it was passed 60-2
    "you dream of beating me, its time you wake up and apologize."

PurplePackerEater is offline Ring of Fame

Re: CHILD SUPPORT BILL PASSED!

No link. No info. What the heck are you talking about? Put some thought into a new thread.

its on the front page of the strib. the current law was made over 20 years a go. the new law takes into consideration that the woman also works[not true in the current law] basically, if you are a man and pay support this bill will help a ton.

ultravikingfan is offline Administrator

Please put a link or copy/paste some of the article.

DarrinNelsonguy is offline Team Alumni

Here is the story:

Child support revision passes
    Jean Hopfensperger, Star Tribune
    May 18, 2005 SUPPORT0518

Minnesota's system for calculating child support -- long the subject of angry parent complaints -- would be dramatically revamped under a bill passed by the Senate on Tuesday.

For the first time, both parents' incomes would be considered when determining child support payments. Currently only the income of the noncustodial parent, typically the father, is considered.

Support levels would be based on gross income, not net income, which has allowed parents to hide money in 401(k) plans and other shelters. Meanwhile, the state would create a website with a simple child support calculator for parents to use.

About 265,000 Minnesota children receive child support through the state. The bill would simplify that decades-old system and make it more fair to both parents, said Sen. Tom Neuville, R-Northfield, the bill's chief author.

"I can't believe what an incredible struggle it's been up to this point," said Neuville, referring to the clashes between the advocacy groups representing mothers and fathers. "But it [the bill] sailed through today with barely any questions. ... It's the most bipartisan bill of the session," he joked, referring to its swift 60-2 passage.

The House is expected to take up a similar measure this week.

The child support formula hasn't been changed in more than 20 years. During legislative testimony, fathers argued that the current rules don't make adjustments for the financial status of their ex-wives or consider the cost of raising a new family after a divorce.

Custodial mothers, meanwhile, have told lawmakers that the actual cost of raising children is far greater than current guidelines recognize. Even if the child spends time with the father, custodial parents still must pay for housing, groceries and the children's other basic needs, they argue.

Considering the income of the custodial parents when deciding payments would put Minnesota in line with 37 other states, said Sen. Linda Berglin, DFL-Minneapolis, who worked with Neuville on key sections of the bill.

The provision recognizes a phenomenon that is new since the guidelines were first formulated, namely that most Minnesota mothers are working.

"It's time for Minnesota to join the other states that use this approach," said Berglin. "We've been talking about it for seven years, studying it and introducing legislation."

A big question for many parents has been how much more -- or less -- money would they get or pay under the new formula. Neuville says that would vary.

A custodial parent with one child would get less support, in most cases, he said. A custodial parent with two or more children would get more support -- until the income of both parents is equal. After that, the support would be lower than today.

The bill also would:

• Reduce support payments for noncustodial parents who have additional children after the divorce or separation.

• Not allow support payments to drive parents into poverty.

• Create a "parental expense adjustment." If parenting time is 10 to 45 percent for the noncustodial parent, there would be a 12 percent reduction of child support. If parenting time is equal between both parents the expenses for the children would be equally shared. And if the adjusted gross incomes of both parents were also equal, then no support would be paid.

Father's rights groups have said the bill doesn't go far enough in equalizing the playing field between both parents.

A companion bill, with some policy differences, is likely to reach the House floor this week.
    "Hard work beats talent, when talent doesn t work hard."

Paulbedy59 is offline Coordinator

It,s about time that someone looked out for the father and his life and family.Now if they would just count as income the 18,000$ my ex gets from the state but doesn,t have to declare it..
    If winning isn,t everything,why keep score?

exactlly! people have to start treating women as eqauls, not victims. if a man does something stupid,he's stupid. if a woman does something stupid, shes a victim![of -pms,postpartum,abuse,depression,anxiety,society-etc.]

Del Rio Guest

Well PMS I'm not sure how much control she has over it, Abuse yeah she would be a victim just as if a man was abused he would be. Postpartum depression I do not see how she has control over this.

I'm failing to make a connection:

"if a woman does something stupid, shes a victim![of -pms,postpartum,abuse,depression,anxiety,society-etc.]"

Are you saying PMS,Postpartum depression,abuse,anxiety,society are byproducts of a woman doing something stupid?

all i'm saying is when i watch the news and a woman kills her child or something terrible like that there is always a "reason" she did it. when a man does the same he is just evil. men and women should be held accountable eqaully. but in these times women get counselling, men go to jail.

Del Rio Guest

Oh I see.
    If a woman does something stupid (put her baby in a dumpster) She can chaulk it up to postpartum depression and she will get some sympathy.

As if a man did that he may very well fry.

I get it, thanks for the clarification.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast