Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    BadlandsVikings is offline Jersey Retired

Chewing Tobacco in Noodles Sickens 30

PHNOM PENH, Cambodia (AP) -- Thirty Cambodians suffered food poisoning after eating homemade noodles contaminated with chewing tobacco that had dropped into the batter from the cook's mouth, police said Monday.

The victims, mostly children, began vomiting after eating noodle soup for breakfast Friday in a village in Banteay Meanchey province, about 190 miles northwest of the capital, Phnom Penh, said Deputy District Police Chief Yort Ray.

An investigation turned up traces of chewing tobacco in the noodles - and led police to 39-year-old wholesale noodle vendor Sieng Seng, who had supplied the shops where people got sick.

Sieng Sang, an avid tobacco chewer like many poor Cambodian women, said she had not realized a wad had dropped into the flour as she was talking.

Police gave her a lesson in hygiene and told her to be more careful when opening her mouth while cooking, Yort Ray said.

http://hosted.ap.org/dynamic/stories/C/CAMBODIA_FOOD_POISONING?SITE=VAHAR&SECTION=ENTERTA INMENT&TEMPLATE=DEFAULT

BloodyHorns82 is offline Jersey Retired Feed The Frog Champion

Re: Chewing Tobacco in Noodles Sickens 30

That's funny, the police didn't tell her to stop chewing while cooking, but just to be more carefull while opening her mouth. Priceless.

I've never met a woman that chewed before...interesting.

VikesfaninWis is offline Jersey Retired

Now chewing is gross enough as it is, but knowing that a woman chews is even more disgusting.. As a health code, she shouldn't be allowed to chew while cooking.. To me, that is not any different then a cook smoking while cooking.. That is just plain nasty..

BloodyHorns82 is offline Jersey Retired Feed The Frog Champion

"VikesfaninWis" wrote:
    Now chewing is gross enough as it is, but knowing that a woman chews is even more disgusting.. As a health code, she shouldn't be allowed to chew while cooking.. To me, that is not any different then a cook smoking while cooking.. That is just plain nasty..
    Either one is disgusting...but I would MUCH rather have somebody smoking while cooking my meal than chewing. Too me it wouldn't be nearly as bad if some ash dropped in the batch, than a big glob of chew. ukeright:

NodakPaul is offline Jersey Retired
    Blog Entries

"VikesfaninWis" wrote:
    As a health code, she shouldn't be allowed to chew while cooking..
    Health code? LOL. Do they even have one? If so, let's just say that the it leaves a little to be desired... Unless you are in Phnom Penh and have a lot of money, you are kind of out of luck.

"www.worldtravels.com" wrote:
    There are a number of health risks associated with travel to Cambodia and travellers are advised to seek the latest medical advice on vaccinations and precautions especially regarding typhoid, cholera, malaria, hepatitis B and polio, at least three weeks before travelling. Malaria prophylaxis is recommended for all areas except Phnom Penh, around Lake Tonle Sap and the Angkor temple complex. Dengue fever, transmitted by mosquitoes, is prevalent especially in heavily populated areas. There have been outbreaks of bird flu with four deaths in Cambodia, and although the risk of contracting the disease is slight, travellers should avoid contact with domestic, wild and caged birds and ensure that all poultry and egg dishes are well cooked. Diarrhoea is the number one ailment afflicting travellers. Visitors should assume that the water is not safe to drink; bottled water is widely available. Avoid uncooked meat, unpeeled fruit, salads and food sold by street vendors, and don't drink beverages with ice. Medical facilities are poor, except for a few expensive private hospitals in Phnom Penh. Treatment must be paid for with cash and health insurance is essential.
    Zeus wrote:
    When are you going to realize that picking out the 20 bad throws this year and ignoring the 300 good ones does not make your point?

=Z=

Prophet Guest

What's the big deal? The tobacco probably killed the bugs that were in the soup. Good trade off.

triedandtruevikesfan is offline Jersey Retired

mmmmm yummy ukeright:

MaddenVodkaAddict is offline Coordinator

Mr. Jeff Bagwell used to chew the substance that is tobacco. However, in his own commercial roughly five years back, he learned that chewing tobacco is not cool and unhealthy. Hopefully Ms. Sang will realize this too.
    I Love Kerry Collins (and John Rocker).

cajunvike is offline Jersey Retired

ukeright:
    BANNED OR DEAD...I'LL TAKE EITHER ONE

BadlandsVikings is offline Jersey Retired

"BloodyHorns82" wrote:
    That's funny, the police didn't tell her to stop chewing while cooking, but just to be more carefull while opening her mouth. Priceless.

I've never met a woman that chewed before...interesting.
    My wife's grand mother chewed. :???:

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast