Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    tgorsegner is offline Coordinator

Canadian Man Survives 96 Hours Trapped Under an ATV

Alberta, Canada
    —
    A paramedic who's used to saving the lives of others found himself having to eat rotting beaver meat and fend off snarling animals to ensure his own survival while trapped for 96 hours in Alberta bush country.

Ken Hildebrand of Fort McMurray was riding his all-terrain vehicle as he collected animal traps north about 80 miles southwest of Calgary, on Jan. 8 when the ATV rolled after hitting a rock and trapped him underneath.

Hildebrand, who has a weak leg due to polio, ended up face down on the snowy ground with his machine pinning his strong leg.

"He was stuck there for four days and three nights — almost 96 hours straight," said Troy Linderman, director of Crowsnest Pass emergency medical services said.

Hildebrand's injuries aren't described as life-threatening, but there is a chance his right foot might have to be amputated.

Hildebrand, who wouldn't give his age, said he kept himself alive — albeit sick — by eating the rotting meat of the animals he had collected.

He said he faced constant harassment from coyotes who were growling and fighting each other a few feet away, but was able to keep them at bay by constantly blowing a whistle he had with him.

"It was time to get ready for survival mode," Hildebrand said.

As a paramedic, he knew people start losing heat quickly from their upper body so he took a beaver carcass and set it by his groin to help keep his body warm. He used another beaver as a bit of a windbreak and part of its skin as a makeshift pillow.

With no water or food with him, no snow close by and nothing but dirt around him, he quickly became dehydrated. He pulled some surveyor's tape through his teeth to get a little bit of the dew that dropped onto it.

"I ate a lot of dirt to get a little moisture," he said.

By the second night he was so hungry he started to pick at the beaver bones an hour after the sun went down.

"I tried to eat pieces of that, but it made me sick and I threw up," Hildebrand said.

Hildebrand made several attempts to get out from under the ATV, including using an ax to pry it off, but he didn't have enough leverage to free his leg.

As Hildebrand was entering his fourth day of being trapped, he began to accept the fact he might not be found before the cold, malnourishment or animals claimed him. His saving grace came when a hiker and a dog from Pincher Creek found him.

"He was hiking and he came there because he told me he had this funny intuition and urge to go hiking there even though he'd never been there before," Hildebrand said.

After spending a night in the Crowsnest Pass hospital, he was transferred to Lethbridge, where he has undergone several operations to treat frostbite and injuries to his legs.

"It's amazing that he's alive. I can't believe it," Linderman said. "Ken's as tough as nails."

Despite hypothermia, frostbite, dehydration and leg injuries, Hildebrand's only concern after being rescued was not being able to make his next paramedic shift, Linderman said.

Hildebrand, who works teaching first aid and heavy equipment at Keyano College in Fort McMurray, said he still has property in the Crowsnest Pass and was there seeing if he could help ranchers with the problem of wolves preying on cattle.

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,324575,00.html

VikesFan787, Thanks for the awesome sig!

jessejames09 is offline Ring of Fame

Re: Canadian Man Survives 96 Hours Trapped Under an ATV

so he took a beaver carcass and set it by his groin to help keep his body warm. He used another beaver as a bit of a windbreak and part of its skin as a makeshift pillow.
    At this point I laughed. Not because of the whole beaver beside the groin thing, I know usually id be all over that. What's with all the dead beavers?? I mean I know it's in Canada, but there isn't just such an abundance of beavers that you see beaver carcass everywhere.

pack93z is offline Team Alumni

"jessejames09" wrote:
    so he took a beaver carcass and set it by his groin to help keep his body warm. He used another beaver as a bit of a windbreak and part of its skin as a makeshift pillow.
    At this point I laughed. Not because of the whole beaver beside the groin thing, I know usually id be all over that. What's with all the dead beavers?? I mean I know it's in Canada, but there isn't just such an abundance of beavers that you see beaver carcass everywhere.
    Collecting and cleaning out his traps, which I am sure contained said Beavers.... :P

Otherwise.. it must be raining dead varmits up there.
    ;D

Marrdro is offline Beware My Spreadsheet, Bitches!

Two guys in my hunt club actually caught 4 beaver this weekend. Not out of the question that if he was trapping he didn't have some with him.

The part I don't quite understand is why couldn't he just get out from under his ATV?

A typical outdoorsman is in pretty decent shape and shouldn't have any problems rolling a ATV off of himself.

Had this one on top of me twice.
    Haven't resorted to eating beaver yet.
    :

[img width=450 height=292]http://www.2buy4sale.com/eiger4004x4.jpg[/img]
    Many many thanks to my talented friend Jos for the new Sig.http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v343/josdin00/Vikings/Marrdro_sig.jpg

I was thinking the same thing too.. but then I read this.. But you would think that he could have used his arms to pull himself loose..

Hildebrand, who has a weak leg due to polio, ended up face down on the snowy ground with his machine pinning his strong leg.

Frostbite is offline Coach

"Marrdro" wrote:
    Two guys in my hunt club actually caught 4 beaver this weekend. Not out of the question that if he was trapping he didn't have some with him.

The part I don't quite understand is why couldn't he just get out from under his ATV?

A typical outdoorsman is in pretty decent shape and shouldn't have any problems rolling a ATV off of himself.

Had this one on top of me twice.
    Haven't resorted to eating beaver yet.
    :
    [img width=450 height=292]http://www.2buy4sale.com/eiger4004x4.jpg[/img]
    After all your helpful tips on various wild meats I thought I'd return the favor Marr

It's important to get it hot first and let it simmer for an hour or so. A very refined taste...sometimes with a hint of musk. Be sure to remove all fur for maximum enjoyment....EH! ;D

Cheers!

Where is Frostbite Falls Minnesota?

Marrdro is offline Beware My Spreadsheet, Bitches!

"pack93z" wrote:
    I was thinking the same thing too.. but then I read this.. But you would think that he could have used his arms to pull himself loose..

My ATV weights something like 350 lbs dry wieght. Considering that both times I've found it on top of me it was in an area that wasn't completely flat if you know what I mean.

I rolled it off pretty easily with must my arms.
    Only thing I can think of is if he got wedged in between some rocks were he couldn't move it, but then you wouldn't think there would be to many of the critters (wolves/coyotes) that would get that close to him there.

Probably happened but as a woodsman, I find it pretty hard to believe.
    Many many thanks to my talented friend Jos for the new Sig.http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v343/josdin00/Vikings/Marrdro_sig.jpg

"Marrdro" wrote:
    "pack93z" wrote:

My ATV weights something like 350 lbs dry wieght. Considering that both times I've found it on top of me it was in an area that wasn't completely flat if you know what I mean.

I rolled it off pretty easily with must my arms.
    Only thing I can think of is if he got wedged in between some rocks were he couldn't move it, but then you wouldn't think there would be to many of the critters (wolves/coyotes) that would get that close to him there.

Probably happened but as a woodsman, I find it pretty hard to believe.
    I put my 700 right on top of me about a year ago, and I was able to roll it off of me as well. But being 6'4" and using my size, I didn't want to assume that he could lift it off himself. Mine was in a creek bottom and I rolled it staight back on myself, so I understand the "lack of uneven" ground concept.
    ;D

BadlandsVikings is offline Jersey Retired

That guy is lucky, atv's can be dangerous.
    I've wrecked several times on them, but it was caused by being stupid.

[size=1pt]save a life eat a beaver[/size]

NodakPaul is offline Jersey Retired
    Blog Entries

"tgorsegner" wrote:
    Alberta, Canada
    —
    A paramedic who's used to saving the lives of others found himself having to eat rotting beaver meat and fend off snarling animals to ensure his own survival while trapped for 96 hours in Alberta bush country.
    Wow.
    Sounds like a party I went to in Korea once...
    Zeus wrote:
    When are you going to realize that picking out the 20 bad throws this year and ignoring the 300 good ones does not make your point?

=Z=

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast