Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    jaymz7 is offline Asst. Coach

Calling all computer gurus

I signed my sons up to play a game online. It is called Disney's toontown. For some reason when they play it on my laptop it freezes up and runs slow. When they play it at my sisters or folk's house ( who have older computers ) they don't have any problems. We all use cable modems.

I sent a email to the help desk and they responded back that it may be a RAM problem. I understand this, but what I don't get is why if they require 128-256 MB and I am running 510.33 MB why I should have a problem. I realize they say I am using 98% of my RAM, but I am sure nothing else is running except windows XP, the game, and the software for my cable modem. How can I check to see what is using up all of my RAM? Any ideas what would be running in the background that I don't know about? I have turned off my virus protection to make sure that wasn't the problem.

Here is the message I got from the help desk. Any comments would be appreciated. The kids love the game, but just hate it when it freezes up.

Thanks.

"We also recommend freeing up more RAM before starting the game. RAM
    (memory) stands for Random Access Memory. The software requires at least
    128 MB (megabytes) of RAM, but we recommend 128MB-256MB to get the best
    experience. The message that you sent us indicated that you have 510.33
    MB of RAM and are using 98%."

vikingTurf Guest

Re: Calling all computer gurus

You can use WIndows task manager to see what processes are using how many memory chunks, try closing all applications except that game and then press CTRL+ALT+DEL together to bring up the task manager.
    First go to Performance tab to see how much is the CPU Usage, if it's really around 90%, go to the processes tab and see if you can identify any process besides the ones) for the game that's taking a big chunk of memory...Don't end any process if youare not sure what's it for.

vikinggreg is offline Ring of Fame

It could be the laptops graphics card, my top laptops for work have 8mb and 16mb for graphics and cannot handle games for my kids, while my home PC has 256mb one the graphics card and has no problems.

thats my best guess but I'm no expert

TARKenton is offline Asst. Coach

I will have to agree with Greg on this. Sounds like a videocard problem. However you may be able to get away with not replacing the video card. Depending on your brand of laptop, you can usually go to the manufacturer's website (ie hp.com, dell.com, gateway.com) and find updates for the video driver. i noticed a much crisper response on my hp after upgrading the driver to the latest version. This may resolve your issue, but its no guarantee. 512mb of RAM is plenty of memory to run a game assuming you dont have a large quantity of apps runnin in the backround.
    ...Rodgers had to hold on the ball longer, giving players like Jared "I am completely insane and will literally eat your children" Allen time to sack Rodgers again.And again. And again. Actually I think Rodgers may have nightmares about Jared Allen the rest of the year.

"TARKenton" wrote:
    I will have to agree with Greg on this. Sounds like a videocard problem. However you may be able to get away with not replacing the video card. Depending on your brand of laptop, you can usually go to the manufacturer's website (ie hp.com, dell.com, gateway.com) and find updates for the video driver. i noticed a much crisper response on my hp after upgrading the driver to the latest version. This may resolve your issue, but its no guarantee. 512mb of RAM is plenty of memory to run a game assuming you dont have a large quantity of apps runnin in the backround.
    I don't believe it is a video card issue, but I will check and download the latest drivers to make sure. The graphics card installed on my laptop is the Intel 82845G/GL/GE/PE/GV Graphics Controller

It works great on everything else including the DVD movies I watch on my laptop.

UndisputedVike is offline Coordinator

If you will. Download this diagnostic tool to gather further info on the machine.

http://www.majorgeeks.com/download.php?det=4181

After it is installed, run it, Click Computer on the side bar then summary, should bring up all the info. At the top should be an icon that Says 'Report' it'll bring you to a wizard, next, select system summary only, plain text.

Copy only the SUMMARY part of the text, and paste it here and post.

I think everyone has nailed it on the head that it is most likely the Video Card making it difficult, but I've seen Lesser systems run better graphical games.

I think it's possible to get it to run.

On a side note, NEVER under any circumstances disable you're anti-virus 90% of the time the AV is really never the problem.

On EVEREST, go down to Benchmark on the side run each benchmark and post results.

Also, never have any browers open, unnecessary programs such as File Sharing, Messaging anything that'll eat up Memory.

"UndisputedVike" wrote:
    If you will. Download this diagnostic tool to gather further info on the machine.

http://www.majorgeeks.com/download.php?det=4181

After it is installed, run it, Click Computer on the side bar then summary, should bring up all the info. At the top should be an icon that Says 'Report' it'll bring you to a wizard, next, select system summary only, plain text.

Copy only the SUMMARY part of the text, and paste it here and post.

I think everyone has nailed it on the head that it is most likely the Video Card making it difficult, but I've seen Lesser systems run better graphical games.

I think it's possible to get it to run.
    Here is the summary:
    --------[ Summary ]-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Computer:
    Operating System Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition
    OS Service Pack Service Pack 2
    DirectX 4.09.00.0904 (DirectX 9.0c)
    Computer Name JAMES-0MXHTURX7
    User Name Owner

Motherboard:
    CPU Type Intel Celeron, 2400 MHz (24 x 100)
    Motherboard Name Dell Inspiron 1100
    Motherboard Chipset Intel Brookdale-G i845GL
    System Memory 512 MB (PC2100 DDR SDRAM)
    BIOS Type Phoenix (10/18/04)

Display:
    Video Adapter Intel(R) 82845G/GL/GE/PE/GV Graphics Controller (64 MB)
    3D Accelerator Intel Extreme Graphics
    Monitor Digital Flat Panel (1024x768) (100012336)

Multimedia:
    Audio Adapter Intel 82801DB ICH4 - AC'97 Audio Controller [B-0]

Storage:
    IDE Controller Intel(R) 82801DB Ultra ATA Storage Controller - 24CB
    Disk Drive IC25N020ATMR04-0 (20 GB, 4200 RPM, Ultra-ATA/100)
    Optical Drive SAMSUNG CDRW/DVD SN-324F (DVD:8x, CD:24x/10x/24x DVD-ROM/CD-RW)
    SMART Hard Disks Status OK

Partitions:
    C: (NTFS) 19030 MB (8436 MB free)

Input:
    Keyboard Standard 101/102-Key or Microsoft Natural PS/2 Keyboard
    Mouse Synaptics PS/2 Port Pointing Device

Network:
    Network Adapter Broadcom 440x 10/100 Integrated Controller (192.168.0.2)
    Modem BCM V.92 56K Modem

Peripherals:
    Printer EPSON Stylus Photo RX500
    Printer Lexmark Z23/Z33 Color Jetprinter
    USB1 Controller Intel 82801DB ICH4 - USB Controller [B-0]
    USB2 Controller Intel 82801DB ICH4 - Enhanced USB2 Controller [B-0]
    Battery Microsoft AC Adapter
    Battery Microsoft ACPI-Compliant Control Method Battery

Vikes is offline Team Alumni

The program probaly requires Java to run. You are probaly running IE 6.X.

Download Firefox and try access the site and see if plays better. When installing Firefox don't make it your default browser. It does a LOT better job handling Java stuff.

http://download.mozilla.org/?product=firefox-1.5.0.4&os=win&lang=en-US

The rigors of Spartan life. Leonidas is cast out into the wild, and survives the harsh winter to return to his home, when he is crowned King ....a Viking!

Toontown Won't run on FF, as it doesn't allow ActiveX.

Best bet would be (IF they are availible) Go into options in the game and turn all the Video settings to lowest possible, turn shadows off also.

It really isn't possible to upgrade the videocard in a notebook PC.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast