Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    baumy300 is offline Star Spokesman

Buying my first Harley!

I am going to be purchasing my first Harley come this summer. I hear a lot about how they break down constantly and what not, but I am still positive I am going to purchase one.

I don't want to spend too much more than 5,000, so I am kind of limited to some surprisingly decent looking custom sportsters.

I am just curious if anyone else here owns a Harley or can offer some advice to me before I buy it. I am most likely going to be purchasing it off of a web site, so I can always post the link.

Is there anything I should know before I buy it? Is a sportster an Ok bike? Anyone else ride?

marstc09 is offline Jersey Retired

Re: Buying my first Harley!

I just got back from the Harley-Davidson show in San Antonio. The new road king looks sweet but it is more like a car. Ask Cajun I heard he is a big Harley fan!

Marrdro is offline Beware My Spreadsheet, Bitches!

I have never had the pleasure but I have alot of friends who own them and my brother just upgraded from a Gold Wing to a Glide.

I for one wouldn't get a sportster as it is a small end bike that is only good for commuting and not good for cruising.

If you only intend on using it as a commuter it will be fine.

As to breakdowns, all vehicles need service.
    If you don't take care of them they will give you problems.
    Many many thanks to my talented friend Jos for the new Sig.http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v343/josdin00/Vikings/Marrdro_sig.jpg

stateVIKE44 is offline Pro-Bowler

"baumy300" wrote:
    I am going to be purchasing my first Harley come this summer. I hear a lot about how they break down constantly and what not, but I am still positive I am going to purchase one.

I don't want to spend too much more than 5,000, so I am kind of limited to some surprisingly decent looking custom sportsters.

I am just curious if anyone else here owns a Harley or can offer some advice to me before I buy it. I am most likely going to be purchasing it off of a web site, so I can always post the link.

Is there anything I should know before I buy it? Is a sportster an Ok bike? Anyone else ride?
    I had my huffy out for a little spin today.... Cold, but still pedals like a charm! J/k I dont know much about bikes. But I do know that my boss for the past two summers rides a Harley and he hasn't said he has had any trouble with it.
    "I play for the love of the game; I play because there is no greater feeling than hearing 80,000 fans screaming when you smack somebody!"
    ~ Jared Allen

Prophet is offline Jersey Retired

Congrats Baumy!
    When I get big I'm going to get a Harley, when I get real big.
    Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please. Mark Twain

VikingMike is offline Jersey Retired

"baumy300" wrote:

baumy, I have a friend who is a huge Harley Guy...he rides every year with Rolling Thunder, and I'm sure he'd be happy to give you some advice. One thing I know he will suggest is to take a Rider Ed course (he teaches different levels). I'm going to email him now (I'll see him on Monday) and get back to you.
    Any man who afflicts the human race with ideas must be prepared to see them misunderstood. - H.L. Mencken

Come from the land of the ice and snow...

"VikingMike" wrote:
    "baumy300" wrote:

baumy, I have a friend who is a huge Harley Guy...he rides every year with Rolling Thunder, and I'm sure he'd be happy to give you some advice. One thing I know he will suggest is to take a Rider Ed course (he teaches different levels). I'm going to email him now (I'll see him on Monday) and get back to you.
    That's awesome. I think I'll pass on the rider ed course because I started riding motorcycle when I was still in middle school. Well, ok it was a dirt bike, but I'm pretty familiar with the machines.

I just thought this would be significant because we're talking about Harley here. Good to know that people are willing to offer advice though.

BadlandsVikings is offline Jersey Retired

Make sure it doesn't get up and dance on you

Well gentlemen, I picked it up today. It is the most beautiful thing I have seen since my reflection and I am definitely going to post pictures of it tomorrow.

I am very pleased. H-D knows how to treat people, so now I know why there is such a loyal following. Excellent bikes, excellent company. I'm already hooked for life.

Marrdro is offline Beware My Spreadsheet, Bitches!

"baumy300" wrote:
    Well gentlemen, I picked it up today. It is the most beautiful thing I have seen since my reflection and I am definitely going to post pictures of it tomorrow.

I am very pleased. H-D knows how to treat people, so now I know why there is such a loyal following. Excellent bikes, excellent company. I'm already hooked for life.
    PICTURE PICTURE PICTURE.
    ;D

Congrats my friend.
    Many many thanks to my talented friend Jos for the new Sig.http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v343/josdin00/Vikings/Marrdro_sig.jpg

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast