Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    snowinapril is offline Jersey Retired

Re: Bryant Gumbel -- The Jerk!

"purpleFavreEaters" wrote:
    And the funny thing is he is married to a white women! How in the world can he be such a racist person and come home to a white women everynight??? Makes no sense. http://web.wireimage.com/images/thumbnail/1903705.jpg
    How does Gumble sleep with himself at night?

BTW, Gumble has made negative comments about blacks also.

Everyone is just taking this a bit too far.

Del Rio Guest

"So try not to laugh when someone says these are the world’s greatest athletes, despite a paucity of blacks that makes the Winter Games look like a GOP convention"

Translated:

"How can these be the worlds greatest athletes when there are so few black people that the sport looks like a gathering of white Republicans."

Translation again:

"This isn't a sport there are no blacks."

mnjamie is offline Ring of Fame

"snowinapril" wrote:
    "purpleFavreEaters" wrote:
    And the funny thing is he is married to a white women! How in the world can he be such a racist person and come home to a white women everynight??? Makes no sense. http://web.wireimage.com/images/thumbnail/1903705.jpg
    How does Gumble sleep with himself at night?

BTW, Gumble has made negative comments about blacks also.

Everyone is just taking this a bit too far.

To me SIA ... the "race" thing is not the issue here IMO .... and just IMHO.

It's the fact of the "reaction" he would get from it and he STILL went ahead and did it ... for his own personel gain. That is one of the reasons the cycle of racism continues on .... again, just my opionion.

BBQ Platypus is offline Team Alumni

"tarkenton10" wrote:
    Whoever made that remark is an idiot. The greeks never heard of basketball, Pole vaulting,and volleyball. The greeks never could have imagined women competing or wearing clothes to compete. The original olympics had competitiors compete in the nude. The games evolved and are not exactly like the original Olympics. And a guy with that kind of mindset is a silly guy.
    Wow. That's the most intelligent thing you've ever said on this forum. You have now officially moved from one notch above collegeguyjeff to four notches. Well done.

Anyway, I also contend that the events in the Winter Olympics take at least as much athletic talent as the "trampoline" events in the summer. And there isn't ANY rule that says black people can't compete in the Winter Olympics. They're allowed to, and even if there aren't very many, that doesn't decrease the legitimacy of the games.

"This is my timey-wimey detector. It goes ding when there's stuff."

Prophet Guest

His job is to report things that other people do. You can't expect much from a person with that job description.

Del Rio Guest

"BBQ Platypus" wrote:
    "tarkenton10" wrote:
    Whoever made that remark is an idiot. The greeks never heard of basketball, Pole vaulting,and volleyball. The greeks never could have imagined women competing or wearing clothes to compete. The original olympics had competitiors compete in the nude. The games evolved and are not exactly like the original Olympics. And a guy with that kind of mindset is a silly guy.
    [size=18px]Wow. That's the most intelligent thing you've ever said on this forum[/size]. You have now officially moved from one notch above collegeguyjeff to four notches. Well done.

Anyway, I also contend that the events in the Winter Olympics take at least as much athletic talent as the "trampoline" events in the summer. And there isn't ANY rule that says black people can't compete in the Winter Olympics. They're allowed to, and even if there aren't very many, that doesn't decrease the legitimacy of the games.

He was here about 3 months before you showed up, so I don't know if your comments can be validated. Unless of course you went back and glanced over his 800+ posts and came to that conclusion.

Then again you could just be talking out of your ass.

BBQ Platypus is offline Team Alumni

"Del Rio" wrote:
    "BBQ Platypus" wrote:
    "tarkenton10" wrote:
    [size=18px]Wow. That's the most intelligent thing you've ever said on this forum[/size]. You have now officially moved from one notch above collegeguyjeff to four notches. Well done.

He was here about 3 months before you showed up, so I don't know if your comments can be validated. Unless of course you went back and glanced over his 800+ posts and came to that conclusion.

Then again you could just be talking out of your jiggly butt.
    Crap. You caught me. Nothing gets past you, Del. :lol:

Perhaps a correction is in order:

That's the most intelligent thing that I can remember you saying in this forum.

"This is my timey-wimey detector. It goes ding when there's stuff."

ultravikingfan is offline Administrator

This topic was posted earlier and Locked (not by me), so lets keep this one civil and constructive (that means keep bono out of it).

http://www.purplepride.org/index.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&t=18920

snowinapril is offline Jersey Retired

"Prophet" wrote:
    His job is to report things that other people do. You can't expect much from a person with that job description.
    He doesn't do any reporting on that show. He is strictly a commentator. He has other guys do the reporting and then he facillitates the indsightful comments.

Once again, I am not saying what he said was right or wrong to say, only that he has a right to say it.

One thing that I think that was not brought up that should be, is the people and countries that put up one or a few athletes just to say they are in the Winter OL. Winter sports are not a popular as the Summer. It will naturally be easier to compete in these fields.

Granny Luge doesn't help everyones comments about Gumble being off base. I don't think she had any chance in competing for medal, she was just competing to compete. But with that being said, both the Winter and Summer OL are meant to be a good hearted competition.

Del Rio Guest

I don't know if Gumbel could have been any more wrong.

With the strict drug/supplement screening that filters for suplements that are allowed in basketball, football, and baseball it's about one of the most pure athletic competitions in the world.

The test of endurance, of stamina, agilty and teamwork is just as valid if not more so then any sport.

That being said it is boring as hell.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast