Zeus is offline Jersey Retired

Broadcasters win profanity ruling

http://www.moneyweb.co.za/mw/view/mw/en/page94?oid=138876&sn=Detail

[size=12pt]Broadcasters win profanity ruling[/size]
    Appeals-court panel says unscripted expletives don't violate standards.

Amy Schatz, Wall Street Journal
    05 June 2007
    WASHINGTON -- Broadcasters scored a major victory as an appeals court ruled that inadvertently airing profanity didn't violate decency standards.

The decision was a strong rebuke of the Federal Communications Commission, which had tried to institute a no-tolerance policy on the airing of virtually all expletives, even unscripted profanities during live television and radio broadcasts. And it is a big win for the four major TV networks and their affiliate stations, which faced the threat of multimillion-dollar indecency fines if the FCC's policy had been upheld.

The networks challenged the FCC's profanity rules, which said expletives were almost never appropriate for broadcast, and in a 2-to-1 decision, a panel of the U.S. Court of Appeals for the Second Circuit in New York sided with the networks. It said the FCC had failed to "articulate a reasoned basis for its change in policy" and sent the matter back to the agency for further review.

"This makes it very difficult for us to enforce our indecency regime," FCC Chairman Kevin Martin said in an interview. He suggested the agency may either appeal the decision to the full appeals court or directly to the Supreme Court. No decision has been made, he said. However, he suggested the FCC might not be inclined to try again to justify its rationale for the rule because the court "already said they're doubtful we could provide one."

"I disagree with the decision, and I'm disappointed for parents across the country," he added.
    Oh, shove it up your ass, Mr. Chairman.
    You're just fucking fine with a billion goddamn shootings and violence on shows like 24 or CSI:Miami, but, HORRORS!!, someone happend to drop the F-bomb??

I hate morality police.

=Z=

Thanks to Josdin for the awesome sig!

BadlandsVikings is offline Jersey Retired

Re: Broadcasters win profanity ruling

They will say whatever you put on the prompter

"Go fuck yourself San Diego"

jmcdon00 is offline Jersey Retired Snake Champion, Moto Trial Fest 2: Mountain Pack Champion, LL City Truck 2 Champion, Arithmetic sequence Champion, Troops Tower Defense Champion

"I disagree with the decision, and I'm disappointed for parents across the country," he added.
    What a joke, If a parent doesn't want there child to watch something they can block it. Most parents really don't give a shit though.

Zeus is offline Jersey Retired

"jmcdon00" wrote:
    What a joke, If a parent doesn't want there child to watch something they can block it. Most parents really don't give a shit though.
    And that's the problem.
    The FCC listens to the 3 or 4 parents who do give a shit and then makes policy based upon those 3 or 4 complaints.

The FCC is about as fascist as any government agency in the USA.

=Z=

Thanks to Josdin for the awesome sig!

The Dropper is offline Star Spokesman

"Zeus" wrote:

The FCC is about as fascist as any government agency in the USA.

=Z=
    "This makes it very difficult for us to enforce our indecency regime," FCC Chairman Kevin Martin said in an interview.
    A regime of indecency. Hmmm...Move along! No Fruedian slips here!

Billy Boy is offline Hall of Famer

"jmcdon00" wrote:

Problem is the world fearing parents that would block shows use the V chip to block shows with particular TV parental Guidelines.
    Grammys were probably TV-PG or at worst TV-14. So unless they blocked those their poor kids virgin ears were defiled.

Now I think these people are tards, but thats the issue at hand, and like Zues said these few peoples are gonna make their issues everybody's.

All the kids my age pee their pants, it's the coolest.

jmcdon00 is offline Jersey Retired Snake Champion, Moto Trial Fest 2: Mountain Pack Champion, LL City Truck 2 Champion, Arithmetic sequence Champion, Troops Tower Defense Champion

"Billy" wrote:
    "jmcdon00" wrote:

Problem is the world fearing parents that would block shows use the V chip to block shows with particular TV parental Guidelines.
    Grammys were probably TV-PG or at worst TV-14. So unless they blocked those their poor kids virgin ears were defiled.

Now I think these people are tards, but thats the issue at hand, and like Zues said these few peoples are gonna make their issues everybody's.
    So give live shows an NA rating and let the parents sort it out. Besides children shouldn't be watching the grammy's anyway. It is a bunch of drug users and alcoholics winning awards for fucking on camera.

Billy Boy is offline Hall of Famer

"jmcdon00" wrote:
    "Billy" wrote:
    "jmcdon00" wrote:

So give live shows an NA rating and let the parents sort it out. Besides children shouldn't be watching the grammy's anyway. It is a bunch of drug users and alcoholics winning awards for fucking on camera.
    Works for me.
    Now we just need a squeeky wheel or two on our side to make some noise.

All the kids my age pee their pants, it's the coolest.