Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Brian Russell

Brian Russell

Offord is already pushing for the spot now I heard, and will eventually pass Brian Russel. Wasn't there something about Russel not coming to the off-season strength/conditioning program??? I heard something like that had the coaches dissappointed.

ItalianStallion is offline Jersey Retired

Brian Russell

I think russell was busy finishing university or something, and that is why he didn't come out. But if he shows up in shape, I really don't see the problem.

I m like a Ja Rule poster, cause I'm off the wall.

muchluv4smoot is offline Team Alumni

Brian Russell

"ItalianStallion" wrote:
    I think russell was busy finishing university or something, and that is why he didn't come out. But if he shows up in shape, I really don't see the problem.

Yeah, I don't see how the coaches could be mad at him for completing school. There were also a lot of rookies in this league who couldn't come to mini camps because of school, darrion scott being one of those guys.

I do think that russell will be our starter at FS this year, but if he gets hurt and offord goes in for him, offord might just end up keeping that spot. I also think we might let russell go after this year, if he doesn't improve and if offord continues to improve.

purplepat is offline Hall of Famer

Brian Russell

I think the 9 ints is sort of fluky....not to say Russell isn't (or can't be) a fine safety. But if you look at how many players have ever had 9 ints in a season even once, how many of them have actually done it more than once? From an int standpoint, it's kind of a career year for any DB.

Now, if he only gets 4 or 5 ints this season, it doesn't mean his play has dropped off. You just can't expect to pick off 9 passes every year. It just doesn't happen very often.
    SKOL VIKINGS!

so-cal vike is offline Team Alumni

Brian Russell

"VKG4LFE" wrote:
    I think he's gonna be the next John Lynch!! He needs to get a little smarter and take better angles on runners, but he hits the he!! out of people! His INTs will go down, but his tackling will get better. He's the type of guy that had to prove to everybody he could make it, so he's gonna bust his butt to get better!

I'll agree that he could potentially be the next John Lynch. He has shown that he is a hard hitter and a capable pick-off artist who can play smart defensive football. The question is: Can he live up to level that he set for himself in this past season? I hope he can, and I can't ait to find out.

Long live the Raider Haters!!![/quote]

Brian Russell

No he will have improved and with the additions made on D he is going to be able to pick and choose almost like a spiderman. LETS SEE
    Yesterday is History
    Tomorrow a Mystery
    TODAY is a GIFT that is why WE
    call it the "PRESENT"

hawaiianvike21 is offline Team Alumni

Brian Russell

I have a 15 min seasons highlights on real one player after downloading it from emule and i saw every single one of chavous' and russel' int. I counted only 2 picks he got lucky on with deflections and he was there at the right time. Maybe three but no more then three.

He has good hands to pick balls off unlike other players we had before like orlando thomas. :? Trust me hes not lucky, he has good hands being a former baseball player and is in the right place at the right time.

The only thing he lacks is great tackling skills. But im pretty sure everything else is a strength for him. Hes not lucky on most of his picks.
    Hupo oe ke kau ana i ka waiupa a ma kou pa o & Hupo na Po o waiupa a

Purple D is offline Starter

Brian Russell

"muchluv4moss" wrote:
    I think russell better improve or he might get passed by offord. Offord has been improving every offseason, and is looking great so far this offseason. I like offord, even though he stuck it up when he had a chance. He was thrown in there too young, and he lost his confidence quickly. He has the physical tools to be a pro bowl safety and is getting better at reading offenses. I personally think there is gonna be a battle for that starting safety spot this training camp and preseason, and offord may suprise some people and take that spot from russell.
    :argue:

I kind of have to disagree with you on Offord being thrown in too young. He and Russell have been in the league the same amount of time and It didn't seem like Russell was thrown in there too young last year. I also think Russell has improved every year and think that I have read somewhere that Even though Russell was not at mini camps he is still one of the best conditioned players on the Vikings roster.

Russell may have been lucky last year but sometimes a little luck has sent some people to the PRO Bowl. Hopefully Russell can be better this year. That will only make our Defense more tight at the safety position.

:cheers:
    Four score and seven years ago, Brad Childress has brought upon this team, a west coast offense, conceived in San Francisco, and Dedicated to be a Kick jiggly butt offence. We are now engaged in an NFL season, testing weather that offense can get going or that our defense can long endure.

VKG4LFE is offline Jersey Retired Tetris Champion, Monkey GO Happy 4 Champion

Brian Russell

Orlando Thomas had 9 picks one year hawaiian!! He just couldn't takle for sh!t, but he could catch the ball!

I get the most pissed off looks from people with my VKG 4 LFE Wisconsin license plate, and I LOVE IT!!

muchluv4smoot is offline Team Alumni

Brian Russell

"Purple D" wrote:
    "muchluv4moss" wrote:
    I think russell better improve or he might get passed by offord. Offord has been improving every offseason, and is looking great so far this offseason. I like offord, even though he stuck it up when he had a chance. He was thrown in there too young, and he lost his confidence quickly. He has the physical tools to be a pro bowl safety and is getting better at reading offenses. I personally think there is gonna be a battle for that starting safety spot this training camp and preseason, and offord may suprise some people and take that spot from russell.
    :argue:

I kind of have to disagree with you on Offord being thrown in too young. He and Russell have been in the league the same amount of time and It didn't seem like Russell was thrown in there too young last year. I also think Russell has improved every year and think that I have read somewhere that Even though Russell was not at mini camps he is still one of the best conditioned players on the Vikings roster.

Russell may have been lucky last year but sometimes a little luck has sent some people to the PRO Bowl. Hopefully Russell can be better this year. That will only make our Defense more tight at the safety position.

:cheers:

Brain russell wasn't thrown in their to start in his very first game, like offord was. Russell had a year to watch and learn and wasn't out there as a young rookie making mistakes and loosing confidence, like offord. There is a big difference in starting in your 2nd year and starting in your very first NFL game. Offord has much better skills than russell, he just needs the confidence that he lost his rookie year. There is a big difference in what offord and russell have been through in their first 2 years. Again I will say that if russell doesn't impress the coaches by improving this year, expect to see the coaches let him go next year and go with offord as our future FS.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12