Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    DCPologirl is offline Team Alumni

Re: Breaking News: Puckett has stroke in Arizona

Kirby Puckett is my favorite baseball player of all time. That saddens me immensely.

DCPologirl:Maybe Randy will make Aaron Brooks look better......roflmao Del Rio: I guarantee he will

aceclown is offline Coach

Kirby Pucket was the reason I played baseball growing up. I wore his number in every sport I played, and he is the reason I am still a twins fan today. Kirby is my all time favorite athlete (next to Moss of course), and any negative news about him truly saddens me.

Chuch.

NodakPaul is offline Jersey Retired
    Blog Entries

[size=18px]Puckett in critical condition after stroke, surgery[/size]
    link

PHOENIX -- Hall of Fame outfielder Kirby Puckett was in critical condition early Monday after undergoing surgery for a stroke he had on Sunday.

Puckett, 44, remained in intensive care at St. Joseph's Hospital and Medical Center, hospital spokeswoman Kimberly Lodge said. Puckett was moved to the hospital after undergoing surgery at Scottsdale Healthcare Osborn.

"Tough day," former Twins manager Tom Kelly said Monday at the Twins' training camp. "It could get worse."

Puckett had surgery to drain blood and relieve pressure resulting from bleeding in the brain, two sources familiar with the situation told the Star-Tribune of Minneapolis.

The Twins announced from their spring training camp in Fort Myers, Fla. that Puckett had a stroke at his Arizona home Sunday and was taken to a hospital for surgery.

Kirby Puckett
    AP Photo
    Puckett was inducted into the Baseball Hall of Fame in 2001.

The 44-year-old Puckett, who led the Twins to World Series titles in 1987 and 1991, had surgery at Scottsdale Healthcare Osborn, the team said, and was later moved to St. Joseph's.

"The Minnesota Twins and major league baseball ask fans to keep Kirby and his family in their thoughts and prayers," the team said in a statement.

Ron Shapiro, who was Puckett's agent, said he had been in contact with Puckett's family Sunday but would not confirm his whereabouts.

"We're all praying for his recovery," Shapiro said.

The Twins played the Boston Red Sox in an exhibition game Sunday at their spring training complex, winning 5-1. Star center fielder Torii Hunter sat out after learning of Puckett's stroke.

Hunter, who is close to Puckett, took himself out the lineup, saying he "couldn't focus on anything," The Star-Tribune reported. He left the ballpark and spent the rest of the day getting updates on Puckett's condition.

"I learned about this game from him," Hunter told the newspaper. "He's a guy I look to like he's an older brother. I've come up in this game just by watching what Kirby Puckett is all about." Puckett's former managers and coaches hoped for the best.

"Our thoughts and our prayers are turned towards Puck in Arizona," current Twins manager Ron Gardenhire told the Star-Tribune. "We all heard about this before lunch and that pretty much takes away from anything you do at a ballpark. We did the best we could do today and the game was whatever ... it was a game."

"The doctors said that if he has good luck, he'll be all right. You have to keep the faith," added former manager Tom Kelly, who won two World Series with Puckett.

Puckett, who broke in with Minnesota in 1984, had a career batting average of .318. Glaucoma forced the Gold Glove center fielder and 10-time All-Star to retire in 1996 after 12 seasons with the Twins when he went blind in one eye.

Three years ago, he was cleared of assault charges after being accused of groping a woman at a Twin Cities restaurant. He said then that he was retired and spent his time golfing, fishing and doing nothing.

Puckett has maintained relationships with many people in the Twins organization. The team tried unsuccessfully to get him to come to spring training as a special instructor this year, something he hasn't done since 2002.

Another former Twins great, Tony Oliva, a special instructor during spring training, said he has been worried about Puckett's weight.

"The last few times I saw him, he kept getting bigger and bigger and bigger," Oliva said. "And we worried about him. I saw him about five months ago. He always tries to invite me. He says, 'Come to Arizona, and we'll play some golf.'"

Puckett is divorced and has two children.

The Associated Press contributed to this report.
    Zeus wrote:
    When are you going to realize that picking out the 20 bad throws this year and ignoring the 300 good ones does not make your point?

=Z=

twiztedfait is offline Starter

This is sad. Kirby pucket was an awsome player. A true fan of the sport. I remember when his contract was up with the twins and there were talks of him going to a different team I was heart broken. I think i still have the full page ad from the Star Tribune stuffed away in my card collection. My prayers are with him and his familly during this trying time.

shockzilla is offline PPO Ambassador
    Blog Entries

I too was worried about Puck's weight over the last couple of years. I remember seeing him a few years ago and I thought, man, he's put on some weight. I am a big guy myself (as Singer, Ned, Webby and a few others can attest), and I always worry about myself. Hearing about Puck makes me want to do something about it.
    PPO Ambassador, Defender of the Purple Faith and Guardian of the Gates of Valhalla

ultravikingfan is offline Administrator

From what I have read in the past Puckett never thought he would live past 50.

So, I do not think he took the best care of himself!

But, I love him all the same!

Puckett...the face of Minnesota sports!

Get well my friend!

purpleFavreEaters is offline Coordinator

I wish Puckett the best.

Now heres what really irks me about this whole thing. The media here is the cities absolutly bashed the guy for the past 3 years when that whole rape allegation surfaced. They did not even give him the benifit of the dought. Then he was found innocent and the media didnt even issue any form of a appology, and now that he is basically on his death bed they are all his best friend again. Man I hate the media here in the cities.They have not said one nice thing about the guy since they trashed his rep several years back. If they want to do the right thing they should all issue a public appology to Puck incase his health gets any worse the media made him believe the whole state of Minnesota was against him.

So get better Puck!!!!!!!

DCPologirl is offline Team Alumni

2nd?

DCPologirl:Maybe Randy will make Aaron Brooks look better......roflmao Del Rio: I guarantee he will

VikingMike is offline Jersey Retired

"purpleFavreEaters" wrote:
    I wish Puckett the best.

Now heres what really irks me about this whole thing. The media here is the cities absolutly bashed the guy for the past 3 years when that whole rape allegation surfaced. They did not even give him the benifit of the dought. Then he was found innocent and the media didnt even issue any form of a appology, and now that he is basically on his death bed they are all his best friend again. Man I hate the media here in the cities.They have not said one nice thing about the guy since they trashed his rep several years back. If they want to do the right thing they should all issue a public appology to Puck incase his health gets any worse the media made him believe the whole state of Minnesota was against him.

So get better Puck!!!!!!!

Unfortunately, that's the way it is with most cases. Dirt makes the headlines, retraction makes page 43.

I wasn't a Twins fan (I'm a Mets fan), but I always liked Kirby. He worked hard, was a winner, great leader, clutch at bat and in the field. I mean, how many homeruns did he take away by jumping above the centerfield wall?

Yes, he's had some problems the past few years. I'm saddened by this news...my prayers for him and his loved ones.
    Any man who afflicts the human race with ideas must be prepared to see them misunderstood. - H.L. Mencken

Come from the land of the ice and snow...

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123