Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Zeus is offline Jersey Retired

Re: The boxing thread

"El" wrote:
    "Zeus" wrote:
    Time for a bump.

So - who do you like in Pacquiao v. Cotto?

Me, I believe in Pac Man until I see otherwise.
    But Cotto is a formidable opponent, for sure.
    Should be a great fight.
    I think Pac got the edge here,he is a more natural WW than Cotto,who btw seems a lil drained at 145 in recent pics I ve seen.Imo the speedy hands will be a factor too,not enuff for making Cotto kiss the ground but good for a UD for the Pac,gotta remind the fight will take place in Vegas and not in the Garden with 15.000 boricuas screaming and influencing the refs like in the Clottey fight which btw was a robbery
    Yeah - I thought Clottey won that fight, too.

=Z=

Thanks to Josdin for the awesome sig!

Zeus is offline Jersey Retired

http://sports.espn.go.com/sports/box...dan&id=4649630

[size=12pt]Pacquiao fights for place in history[/size]
    By Dan Rafael
    Updated: November 13, 2009, 9:27 AM ET

LAS VEGAS -- Manny Pacquiao was just 16 years old, a frail 106-pounder, when he turned pro in obscurity in the Philippines and won a long-forgotten four-round decision against Edmundo Enting Ignacio in 1995.

Who would have believed that 14 years later Pacquiao would have grown into a rock-solid man some 40 pounds heavier and become a worldwide star, the national icon of his beloved country and on the verge of one of the most historic accomplishments in boxing history?

That would be winning a record seven world titles in seven divisions from 112 pounds to 147 pounds, which he can do by defeating welterweight titlist Miguel Cotto on Saturday night (9 ET, HBO PPV, $54.95) at the MGM Grand Garden Arena in the year's biggest fight.

"This fight is about history," Pacquiao said. "It's exciting to think I can be the first person to win seven world titles in seven different weight divisions. What makes it even more special is that it would be a Filipino to do it.

"If I do it, 30 years from now they won't forget my name. Manny Pacquiao will still be there."
    =Z=

Thanks to Josdin for the awesome sig!

C Mac D is offline Posting to P'own

"Zeus" wrote:
    "El" wrote:
    "Zeus" wrote:
    Time for a bump.

So - who do you like in Pacquiao v. Cotto?

Me, I believe in Pac Man until I see otherwise.
    But Cotto is a formidable opponent, for sure.
    Should be a great fight.
    I think Pac got the edge here,he is a more natural WW than Cotto,who btw seems a lil drained at 145 in recent pics I ve seen.Imo the speedy hands will be a factor too,not enuff for making Cotto kiss the ground but good for a UD for the Pac,gotta remind the fight will take place in Vegas and not in the Garden with 15.000 boricuas screaming and influencing the refs like in the Clottey fight which btw was a robbery
    Yeah - I thought Clottey won that fight, too.

=Z=
    +1
    Disclaimer: I'm an idiot.

El Vikingo is offline Ring of Fame

Pacquiao vs. Cotto

I hope for a war though
    El underdog.

molineviking is offline Asst. Coach

I think Clottey definitely won that fight, Two judges had it 116-112, and 114-112 for Cotto, (What! what fight were they watching?) The ref told Clottey to "suck it up", "it was an accident" after the 12th rd low blow, Even Cotto looked a little shocked at the decision, It's decisions like this that leave fans thinking boxing is corrupt, You can go to Youtube right now and watch the entire fight, (Which I just did since I only watched from the 6th rd on-on fight night) how a judge came up with 116-112 for Cotto is ridiculous!

I'm picking Pac Man by late rd TKO, or UD.
    Even if the Vikings lose, I can still find happiness in Bears, and Packer losses.

Johnson14 is offline Hall of Famer

This should be a great fight, i think Pacman will stop him inside 6.

Definitely good to see not every one has converted to MMA. I like boxing because there's more strategy, the rounds are easier to watch and Knockout(vs. tap out) is the exception not the rule.

I wish i could get all the PPV fights, or even the HBO/Showtime ones, but funds do not allow such privileges.

Cotto gets the fight stopped for him, too much manny being manny.
    The ribbon is the 'Gulf War Ribbon'.
    SUPPORT OUR TROOPS!!

-I need a new liver. Please join us for a spaghetti dinner and silent auction benefit.
    -January 13, 2013 1-4.
    -$10 covers spaghetti, salad and bread.
    -Anoka American Legion.

Johnson14 is offline Hall of Famer

"STCLOUDSAYSGOVIKES" wrote:
    Definitely good to see not every one has converted to MMA. I like boxing because there's more strategy, the rounds are easier to watch and Knockout(vs. tap out) is the exception not the rule.

I wish i could get all the PPV fights, or even the HBO/Showtime ones, but funds do not allow such privileges.

Luckily this fight isn't a PPV over here so as long as you can stay awake till early hours then your good to go!

NordicNed is offline Jersey Retired

This fight will come down to the Trainers also I believe, and Freddy Roach has proven time after time, he's a great trainer, if not one of the all time greats.
    He will have Manny ready for this fight, like he has in the past and will pull out some nice suprises for this monumental fight..

Manny
    in
    6 via
    TKO......

I LOVE THE SMELL OF VICTORY IN THE MORNING AIR.

molineviking is offline Asst. Coach

"STCLOUDSAYSGOVIKES" wrote:

I certainly also enjoy MMA, And think fans of both can agree that it takes strategy to master both, MMA gets a bad rap for being too brutal, While boxing is sometimes seen as fixed (That Cotto-Clottey fight doesn't help), I enjoy both, and find Manny to be very talented as well as humble which is almost unheard of in boxing as long as I can remember, Boxing is definitely easier to watch.
    Go Manny!
    Even if the Vikings lose, I can still find happiness in Bears, and Packer losses.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast