Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    aceclown is offline Coach

Re: Blue Ray Vs. HD DVD

"singersp" wrote:
    "VKG4LFE" wrote:
    Is blue ray really that much better? I've never seen a video on blue ray.
    That would be my question also.

Several people here are touting how much better blue-ray is than HD, but how many of them have actually seen anything on Blue-Ray & compared it to HD?
    Compared to HD?
    I'm assuming you're asking for a comparison to HD-DVD?
    If that's the question it would depend on a couple things.

First- is your TV 1080p?
    All Blu-Ray players have 1080p playback, which is the highest resolution possible (referred to as TrueHD or Full HD).
    So all Blu-Ray players have the ability for maximum possible resolution.

There are 2 different caliber of HD-DUD players.
    The most popular, their most popular $150 model does not have 1080p playback, but does output 1080i playback.
    So if you have a high-end HDTV, this HD-DUD player will Not maximize your Tv's full potential.

Their 2nd caliber is the less popular $400 player (same price as current blu-ray player), which does output 1080p.
    So if you have a high-end HDTV you will most likely not notice a difference between HD-DUD and Blu-Ray.
    However, with 20 more gigs than HD-DUD, Blu-Ray is able to fit more material such as special features, etc on each disc that HD-DUD would otherwise have to forego in some circumstances.

But, again, these points are moot now.
    HD-DUD lost, you won't be able to find the players in stores after summer.
    And if anyone buys one from here on out, I feel sorry for them as all HD-DUD movie release will cease by summer.

But if you are asking if the difference between standard DVD and Blu-Ray is noticable, trust me I can always tell the difference.
    1080p is like looking through a window, and although DVD looks good enough on a SDTV, it's night and day between DVD and Blu-Ray on a nice HDTV.

Chuch.

singersp is offline PPO Newshound

"aceclown" wrote:
    "singersp" wrote:
    "VKG4LFE" wrote:

Several people here are touting how much better blue-ray is than HD, but how many of them have actually seen anything on Blue-Ray & compared it to HD?
    Compared to HD?

First- is your TV 1080p?
    All Blu-Ray players have 1080p playback, which is the highest resolution possible (referred to as TrueHD or Full HD).

The most popular, their most popular $150 model does not have 1080p playback, but does output 1080i playback.
    So if you have a high-end HDTV, this HD-DUD player will Not maximize your Tv's full potential.

Their 2nd caliber is the less popular $400 player (same price as current blu-ray player), which does output 1080p.
    So if you have a high-end HDTV you will most likely not notice a difference between HD-DUD and Blu-Ray.
    However, with 20 more gigs than HD-DUD, Blu-Ray is able to fit more material such as special features, etc on each disc that HD-DUD would otherwise have to forego in some circumstances.

And if anyone buys one from here on out, I feel sorry for them as all HD-DUD movie release will cease by summer.

But if you are asking if the difference between standard DVD and Blu-Ray is noticable, trust me I can always tell the difference.
    1080p is like looking through a window, and although DVD looks good enough on a SDTV, it's night and day between DVD and Blu-Ray on a nice HDTV.

Thanx for the feedback Ace. So basically one has to invest in a high end TV to enjoy the benefits of blue-ray. Since my TV isn't HD, it makes no difference which of the two video types I watch.

"If at first you don't succeed, parachuting is not for you"

"singersp" wrote:
    "aceclown" wrote:
    "singersp" wrote:
    "VKG4LFE" wrote:

Compared to HD?

First- is your TV 1080p?

Thanx for the feedback Ace. So basically one has to invest in a high end TV to enjoy the benefits of blue-ray. Since my TV isn't HD, it makes no difference which of the two video types I watch.
    Exactly.
    Blu-Ray playback is only as good as the TV you are watching it on.
    So if you do not have a HDTV, Blu-Ray is useless.

For this same reason standard DVD will continue to be the dominant format for the foreseeable future (next few years or so).
    But every year the percentage of households with HDTVs increases, and so the demand for high-def movie content has increased and will continue to increase.

Basically, Blu-Ray is a complementary good in relation to HDTVs.
    The good news for anyone interested in HDTV or Blu-Ray is that Blu-Ray will not become obsolete as fast as DVDs have.
    UHDTV (Ultra-high definition TVs) have been discussed, but they arent expected to be mass-produced until 2025 or possibly later.

Basically, Blu-Ray will not become obsolete for another 15-20 years.
    So it's a solid investment if you are interested in making that step.

Chuch.

jmcdon00 is offline Jersey Retired Snake Champion, Moto Trial Fest 2: Mountain Pack Champion, LL City Truck 2 Champion, Arithmetic sequence Champion, Troops Tower Defense Champion

"Jereamiah" wrote:
    "TheKnuck" wrote:
    saving up for a ps3 at the moment.
    if i'm gonna spend $400 on a blue ray player, might as well get the ps3 so i can play madden.
    I bought a ps3 for my boy, oh man! what an ordeal! 1st, I got the unit from Blockbuster. I spent @600.00 bucks and got two games and a movie plus 20 weeks of free blu-ray and game rentals. What they did not tell me was that setup took about 4 to 5 hours. I 1st had to "update" the console which required getting a flash drive and spending the above mentioned hours on hold when the ps3 would not accept the update. Finally, at the end of the process, the unit would play movies, but not the games! Man was I pissed. returned it and went out and bought 'Rock-Band" for the kids. Bad experience. >
    The Ps3 is definetly not a plug and play. The wii is much better in that sense. I too had to immedietly update the ps3 before I could even use it, which due to crappy internet connection took a couple of hours. Networking with my wireless network was a chore too. Now that I have had it for a while and have it fully connected it is sweet though.
    I think sales for the ps3 will be going up in the coming months since it won the hd war. This should lead to more games, with higher quality in the long run, which is sweet.
    I don't think the hd war can compare in any way to the vhs beta wars of the past. I don't think it is technology that will be around for 20 years. I think new formats will come out in the next few years that will be better than blu-ray, also I think downloads are gonna be a big deal and many people will not use a disc but read movies straight from their hard drives, or flash drives.

"jmcdon00" wrote:
    "Jereamiah" wrote:
    "TheKnuck" wrote:
    if i'm gonna spend $400 on a blue ray player, might as well get the ps3 so i can play madden.
    I bought a ps3 for my boy, oh man! what an ordeal! 1st, I got the unit from Blockbuster. I spent @600.00 bucks and got two games and a movie plus 20 weeks of free blu-ray and game rentals. What they did not tell me was that setup took about 4 to 5 hours. I 1st had to "update" the console which required getting a flash drive and spending the above mentioned hours on hold when the ps3 would not accept the update. Finally, at the end of the process, the unit would play movies, but not the games! Man was I pissed. returned it and went out and bought 'Rock-Band" for the kids. Bad experience. >
    The Ps3 is definetly not a plug and play. The wii is much better in that sense. I too had to immedietly update the ps3 before I could even use it, which due to crappy internet connection took a couple of hours. Networking with my wireless network was a chore too. Now that I have had it for a while and have it fully connected it is sweet though.
    I think sales for the ps3 will be going up in the coming months since it won the hd war. This should lead to more games, with higher quality in the long run, which is sweet.
    I don't think the hd war can compare in any way to the vhs beta wars of the past. I don't think it is technology that will be around for 20 years. I think new formats will come out in the next few years that will be better than blu-ray, also I think downloads are gonna be a big deal and many people will not use a disc but read movies straight from their hard drives, or flash drives.
    Read my previous post and you will see why 1080p playback will not be obsolete in 15-20 years.

Chuch.

BloodyHorns82 is offline Jersey Retired Feed The Frog Champion

"aceclown" wrote:
    "jmcdon00" wrote:
    "Jereamiah" wrote:
    "TheKnuck" wrote:
    Read my previous post and you will see why 1080p playback will not be obsolete in 15-20 years.
    Isn't 1280p HD resolution already out?

"BloodyHorns82" wrote:
    "aceclown" wrote:
    "jmcdon00" wrote:
    "Jereamiah" wrote:
    "TheKnuck" wrote:
    No

Chuch.

"aceclown" wrote:
    "BloodyHorns82" wrote:
    "aceclown" wrote:
    "jmcdon00" wrote:
    "Jereamiah" wrote:
    [quote author=TheKnuck link=topic=42469.msg724634#msg724634 date=1203442041]
    No
    [/quote]

Actually yes, the technology is out there, as is 1920p.
    You can't purchase a 1280p television yet, but the resolution is available...primarily for PCs.

"BloodyHorns82" wrote:
    "aceclown" wrote:
    "BloodyHorns82" wrote:
    "aceclown" wrote:
    "jmcdon00" wrote:
    [quote author=Jereamiah link=topic=42469.msg724639#msg724639 date=1203443760]
    No
    [/quote]

You can't purchase a 1280p television yet, but the resolution is available...primarily for PCs.

[/quote]

Yes the technology is available for PC Monitors, and has been for many years.
    However, as far as televisions go, there are no plans for 1280p TVs.

The next generation of high definition (UHDTV) is in the early stages of experimental testing and whatnot.
    However the resolution is far beyond 1280.
    The resolution of proposed UHDTV is 7,680 × 4,320.
    The earliest time they (NHK) are looking at to implement this is 2015.
    Although that is only 7 years in the future, just remember how long it took HDTV as we know it to be widely adopted (experimenting/testing started in the early 1980s).

All I'm trying show is that 1080p is a plateau much like 480 was.
    And although it will undeniably become 2nd rate technology, that won't happen until UHDTV becomes available.
    There are no plans for 1280p as far as TVs/broadcasting is concerned.

Chuch.

"aceclown" wrote:
    "BloodyHorns82" wrote:
    "aceclown" wrote:
    "BloodyHorns82" wrote:
    "aceclown" wrote:
    [quote author=jmcdon00 link=topic=42469.msg724863#msg724863 date=1203468959]
    [quote author=Jereamiah link=topic=42469.msg724639#msg724639 date=1203443760]
    No
    [/quote]

[/quote]

Yes the technology is available for PC Monitors, and has been for many years.
    However, as far as televisions go, there are no plans for 1280p TVs.

The next generation of high definition (UHDTV) is in the early stages of experimental testing and whatnot.
    However the resolution is far beyond 1280.
    The resolution of proposed UHDTV is 7,680 × 4,320.
    The earliest time they (NHK) are looking at to implement this is 2015.
    Although that is only 7 years in the future, just remember how long it took HDTV as we know it to be widely adopted (experimenting/testing started in the early 1980s).

All I'm trying show is that 1080p is a plateau much like 480 was.
    And although it will undeniably become 2nd rate technology, that won't happen until UHDTV becomes available.
    There are no plans for 1280p as far as TVs/broadcasting is concerned.
    [/quote]

Thats great news because I just bought a 50" 1080p plasma a few short months ago and am not looking forward to paying that kind of money for a new TV any time soon.
    ;D

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast