Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 15
  1. #1
    BadlandsVikings's Avatar
    BadlandsVikings is offline Jersey Retired
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Posts
    26,570

    Bill would ban swearing in bars

    ST. CHARLES, Mo. - What the ...? A St. Louis-area town is considering a bill that would ban swearing in bars, along with table-dancing, drinking contests and profane music.

    City officials contend the bill is needed to keep rowdy crowds under control because the historic downtown area gets a little too lively on some nights.

    City Councilman Richard Veit said he was prompted to propose the bill after complaints about bad bar behavior. He says it will give police some rules to enforce when things get too rowdy.

    But some bar owners worry the bill is too vague and restrictive, saying it may be a violation of their civil rights.

    Marc Rousseau, who owns bar R.T. Weilers, said he thinks the bill needs revision.

    "We're dealing with adults here once again and I don't think it's the city's job or the government's job to determine what we can and cannot play in our restaurant," Rousseau said.

    The proposal would ban indecent, profane or obscene language, songs, entertainment and literature at bars.

    A meeting to discuss the proposal is set for Jan. 14.

    http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20080108/ap_on_fe_st/odd_cussing_ban

  2. #2
    V4L's Avatar
    V4L
    V4L is offline Jersey Retired
    Join Date
    Dec 1969
    Posts
    20,612

    Re: Bill would ban swearing in bars

    It's like the smoking ban

    People hate it.. People love it

  3. #3
    jmcdon00's Avatar
    jmcdon00 is offline Jersey Retired Snake Champion, Moto Trial Fest 2: Mountain Pack Champion, LL City Truck 2 Champion, Arithmetic sequence Champion, Troops Tower Defense Champion
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Posts
    8,279

    Re: Bill would ban swearing in bars

    "BadlandsViking" wrote:
    ST. CHARLES, Mo. - What the ...? A St. Louis-area town is considering a bill that would ban swearing in bars, along with table-dancing, drinking contests and profane music.

    City officials contend the bill is needed to keep rowdy crowds under control because the historic downtown area gets a little too lively on some nights.

    City Councilman Richard Veit said he was prompted to propose the bill after complaints about bad bar behavior. He says it will give police some rules to enforce when things get too rowdy.

    But some bar owners worry the bill is too vague and restrictive, saying it may be a violation of their civil rights.

    Marc Rousseau, who owns bar R.T. Weilers, said he thinks the bill needs revision.

    "We're dealing with adults here once again and I don't think it's the city's job or the government's job to determine what we can and cannot play in our restaurant," Rousseau said.

    The proposal would ban indecent, profane or obscene language, songs, entertainment and literature at bars.

    A meeting to discuss the proposal is set for Jan. 14.

    http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20080108/ap_on_fe_st/odd_cussing_ban
    Yowsers, no drinking contests? I'm never going to St. Charles now.

  4. #4
    vikes2456's Avatar
    vikes2456 is offline Hall of Famer
    Join Date
    Dec 1969
    Posts
    1,656

    Re: Bill would ban swearing in bars

    I'm in favor of a swear and drinking contest minimum at bars

  5. #5
    jessejames09's Avatar
    jessejames09 is offline Ring of Fame
    Join Date
    Dec 1969
    Posts
    4,233

    Re: Bill would ban swearing in bars

    "vikes2456" wrote:
    I'm in favor of a swear and drinking contest minimum at bars
    Loser buys the next table dance?

  6. #6
    V4L's Avatar
    V4L
    V4L is offline Jersey Retired
    Join Date
    Dec 1969
    Posts
    20,612

    Re: Bill would ban swearing in bars

    "jessejames09" wrote:
    "vikes2456" wrote:
    I'm in favor of a swear and drinking contest minimum at bars
    Loser buys the next table dance?
    Sold

    Put ur money on the table!

  7. #7
    NodakPaul's Avatar
    NodakPaul is offline Jersey Retired
    Join Date
    Dec 1969
    Location
    West Fargo, ND
    Posts
    17,602
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: Bill would ban swearing in bars

    Maybe they just need to put up a few swear jars...
    ;D

    [youtube=425,350]EJJL5dxgVaM[/youtube]
    Zeus wrote:
    When are you going to realize that picking out the 20 bad throws this year and ignoring the 300 good ones does not make your point?

    =Z=

  8. #8
    VikingMike's Avatar
    VikingMike is offline Jersey Retired
    Join Date
    Dec 1969
    Posts
    5,820

    Re: Bill would ban swearing in bars

    If this passes, and the Rams keep playing the way they did this year, the bars in that area will be empty for sure.
    ;D
    Any man who afflicts the human race with ideas must be prepared to see them misunderstood. - H.L. Mencken

    Come from the land of the ice and snow...

  9. #9
    marstc09's Avatar
    marstc09 is offline Jersey Retired
    Join Date
    Dec 1969
    Location
    Phoenix, Arizona
    Posts
    23,179

    Re: Bill would ban swearing in bars

    Complaints about bad bar behavior?! FUCK THAT! Stay at home if you don't like it.

  10. #10
    Marrdro's Avatar
    Marrdro is offline Beware My Spreadsheet, Bitches!
    Join Date
    Dec 1969
    Posts
    43,928

    Re: Bill would ban swearing in bars

    For some reason this story brought back a few fond memories of "The River Walk" in San Antonio.

    I've been all around the world (mostly in a drunken stupor) and this little know secret is one of the best times I ever had.
    ;D

    http://www.thesanantonioriverwalk.com/
    Many many thanks to my talented friend Jos for the new Sig.http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v343/josdin00/Vikings/Marrdro_sig.jpg

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. #@*! Swearing really is a powerful painkiller
    By BadlandsVikings in forum The Clubhouse
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 04-19-2011, 06:46 PM
  2. No swearing in South Pasadena this week
    By BadlandsVikings in forum The Clubhouse
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 03-06-2008, 11:36 AM
  3. Swearing At Work Boosts Morale And Team Spirit
    By singersp in forum The Clubhouse
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 10-21-2007, 10:48 AM
  4. Vikings bars
    By V-Unit in forum Vikings Fan Forum
    Replies: 28
    Last Post: 07-30-2007, 07:24 PM
  5. #15 and #23 Top Bars In America, SI
    By koolkev8 in forum The Clubhouse
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 02-06-2005, 10:53 AM

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •