Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Big Screen TV

hailtocarter is offline Asst. Coach

Re: Big Screen TV

Just thought I'd share some advice...I used to sell TV's so I've seen quite a bit. Well here it goes:

If price is an issue a regular LCD projection is a good way to go. You can get a 50-60 incher for a good price. My favorite for this type of TV is by far the Hitachi...great picture, easy to use menus and remote, and they usually look good also. The sony's are good too, but we did have many problems with them while I was selling, so I usually just recommend the Hitachi.

DLP would be the next upgrade. Most people wont see a huge difference between a good LCD and say a Samsung DLP. They're good TV's, but they have a couple expensive parts (DLP chip and color wheel) that can cost you a lot if they were to break, which for the most part they don't.

The newer addition to the LCD line is the LCOS (liquid crystal on silicon). JVC calls this the HDILA. This is just an upgraded LCD basically, with the lcd sandwiched in between silicon.

As far as brands go, mnjamie said something about toshiba, and my tech guy said that Toshiba always had the lowest repair rates, so thats a big plus. I've always loved Hitachi and Mitsubishi, Sony is usually a good choice, Phillips sucks, Samsungs DLP is nice but other than that I don't like them, JVC's are usually made very cheaply, however, their new HDILA is nice

SKOL was talkin about how no matter what there's gonna be somethin new coming out soon, which is true, but as long as you get a widescreen HD set you'll be able to pick up HD signals, and HD is as good as it's gonna get for a very long time, so your basic screen resolution is still gonna be the same no matter the set (1080p is basically the best HD resolution). Also, someone said somethin about not liking widescreen cuz it's too short, but you shouldn't think of it that way. The TV isn't shorter, it's wider, like if you added screen onto the sides of a traditional 4 by 3 TV (widescreens ratio is 16 by 9 width to height) and eventually every channel will be broadcast in widescreen HD. So basically GET A WIDESCREEN no matter what anyone says!

Well I'm tired of typing, let me know if you have any specific questions, I'm pretty good with TV's..so good luck and by the way, don't get a plasma!

singersp is offline PPO Newshound

I need to get a TV setup like webby to go with my surround sound! :lol:

As Ted would say "Guaranteed to blow the balls off a charging rhino at 60 paces."

"If at first you don't succeed, parachuting is not for you"

mnjamie is offline Ring of Fame

"hailtocarter" wrote:
    Just thought I'd share some advice...I used to sell TV's so I've seen quite a bit. Well here it goes:

If price is an issue a regular LCD projection is a good way to go. You can get a 50-60 incher for a good price. My favorite for this type of TV is by far the Hitachi...great picture, easy to use menus and remote, and they usually look good also. The sony's are good too, but we did have many problems with them while I was selling, so I usually just recommend the Hitachi.

DLP would be the next upgrade. Most people wont see a huge difference between a good LCD and say a Samsung DLP. They're good TV's, but they have a couple expensive parts (DLP chip and color wheel) that can cost you a lot if they were to break, which for the most part they don't.

The newer addition to the LCD line is the LCOS (liquid crystal on silicon). JVC calls this the HDILA. This is just an upgraded LCD basically, with the lcd sandwiched in between silicon.

As far as brands go, mnjamie said something about toshiba, and my tech guy said that Toshiba always had the lowest repair rates, so thats a big plus. I've always loved Hitachi and Mitsubishi, Sony is usually a good choice, Phillips sucks, Samsungs DLP is nice but other than that I don't like them, JVC's are usually made very cheaply, however, their new HDILA is nice

SKOL was talkin about how no matter what there's gonna be somethin new coming out soon, which is true, but as long as you get a widescreen HD set you'll be able to pick up HD signals, and HD is as good as it's gonna get for a very long time, so your basic screen resolution is still gonna be the same no matter the set (1080p is basically the best HD resolution). Also, someone said somethin about not liking widescreen cuz it's too short, but you shouldn't think of it that way. The TV isn't shorter, it's wider, like if you added screen onto the sides of a traditional 4 by 3 TV (widescreens ratio is 16 by 9 width to height) and eventually every channel will be broadcast in widescreen HD. So basically GET A WIDESCREEN no matter what anyone says!

Well I'm tired of typing, let me know if you have any specific questions, I'm pretty good with TV's..so good luck and by the way, don't get a plasma!

Great post Carter .... I couldn't remember the 1080p resolution, I remember that now when we got our tv ... and made sure of the 1080. That is everything you basically need to know when buying a TV as you posted above.

ColoradoVike is offline Pro-Bowler

i went an affordable route:

42" plasma HD screen at costco for $1700. best part of all is that costco has a customer satisfaction guarantee, so if things go wrong three years from now i can return it for a FULL REFUND.

Once you know what you want, buy it at costco.

It depends on your lighting circumstances, but id say dlps are better than lcds and plasma is the best way to go (unless you live at high altitude). And you'll kick yourself if you dont go with HD.

Schleppy is offline Starter

Thanks guys for all the input. I definately am going with the dlp. Still deciding on the size , quality and space availability in our living room. Its been a great help. We found a great deal a circuit city, have to drive three hours to get it though. Green Bay of all places.LOl Definately getting the monster cables and power surge protector and hopefully a tivo..thanks again......

VKG4LFE is offline Jersey Retired Tetris Champion, Monkey GO Happy 4 Champion

I have a 27" TV and it's pretty sweet. It turns on and the games look ok on it. This one time I almost saw the football in the air on a throw, but it turned out it was actaully a bug on the screen. I guess I need a bigger TV so I can enjoy the games more. lol jk But I really do only have a 27" TV

I get the most pissed off looks from people with my VKG 4 LFE Wisconsin license plate, and I LOVE IT!!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12