Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Big Screen TV

Schleppy is offline Starter

Big Screen TV

Hey Guys, my wife and I want to buy a big screen tv. we have looked at dlps, lcd, rear projections, etc. 42-56 inch variety. Any suggestion or testamonies would be greatly appreciated. We are leaning towards the Samsung 6647w. 50 inch.. thanks :?:

Re: Big Screen TV

OK, I can say first off the the Samsung will be more affordable for you. So...good move there. Secondly, Samsung tends to have better quality as the unti increases in overall size and picture. We got an HDTV by Samsung and it was OK, but it really needs the HDTV DirtectTV reciever to show its true clarity. If you are already set up there then you have the best that Samsung money will but. One more thing....Circuit City's website has postings of products and you can probably get some mixed reviews off there. I used it when we got ours and it made the decision process a little easier.
    Lastly, the new high def tvs all need to have the top quality Monster cables to connest to your other components. They are costly but really keep the picture clear. I put them on my new TV and the difference is amazing just by using better cables. The other thing they offer that might be a good investment is the power converter/surge protectors they sell. You would not think that there was a quality difference just based on what you plugged into, but again...amazing difference. This also comes with a Guarantee/Warranty on whatever you plug it into so if s strike kills your TV you are covered. Check into that too.
    OK, I'm out now. Hope all this helps.

Gene Ramsay
    AKA - AlabamaViking and Norseman
    Gene Ramsay
    AKA - AlabamaViking
    www.vikingsfanatic69.com
    I'll see you on the field!
    #1 Vikings FAN in Alabama!

singersp is offline PPO Newshound

"Schleppy" wrote:
    Hey Guys, my wife and I want to buy a big screen tv. we have looked at dlps, lcd, rear projections, etc. 42-56 inch variety. Any suggestion or testamonies would be greatly appreciated. We are leaning towards the Samsung 6647w. 50 inch.. thanks :?:
    After owning both a 52" & a now a 62", I'd never go that small again. It all depends on how much room you have to work with. I personally despise the widescreens that are long & not tall. I look for the more squarer types myself. The one I have now is a Zenith about 49" x 38" & I love it.

HiDef is a must & I'd also recommend a stereo surround system

"If at first you don't succeed, parachuting is not for you"

SKOL is offline Ring of Fame

My theory about TV's is don't spend a bundle of money on the latest and greatest because, not only will you pay up the nose for the technology, but 6 months from now there'll be newer and better. I agree, big screen and HiDef is a must, since you can get those for a song now. Get something that's comfortably priced that you'll be able to enjoy 10+ years. Some LCD and Plasma displays are a decent buy now, but longevity is a concern (more with Plasma than LCD). DLP's are a good quality that will last much longer. Last year I bought a JVC HDILA big screen. It was reasonably priced, is a step up from DLP, and I can pass it on to my kids.
    http://www.jvc.com/Presentations/HDILA/index2.html

Granted, you can't mount it on your wall, but it's still reasonably thin (about 17"), and like all DLP's, it's extremely light.

I'm a bit of an electronic's nut though, and I'm looking forward to seeing some of the newest sets in a few years... The OLED's look awesome, but the best will be the TV that's paper thin, that you can roll up like a scroll (prototype is out now - sorry I didn't take the time to find the link).

The true measure of a man is how he treats someone who can do him absolutely no good -Samuel Johnson - lexicographer
    The word genius isn t applicable in football. A genius is a guy like Norman Einstein - Joe Theisman

lukeshkin is offline Rookie

i just have a bit of advice regarding the surge protector-get it i just had a power surge wipe out my tv and yes it might seem like a rip off but get the best cables you can.
    best of luck

mnjamie is offline Ring of Fame

We got a 57" Toshiba with all the bells and wistles about 2 years ago. HD, HiDef .... on and on. LOVE the thing. Now, you might be saying, "Toshiba?? What not Sony or some other name brand??" I have a buddy and he is a HUGE Tech guy with puters, tv's etc. u name it ... He researched for about a month and Toshiba had the best overall quality and all was reasonably priced. Forget about the rear projection models ... old hat. The flat screen lcd's are still too much, they are expected to come down in price in like 2 years though. Needless to say, when I went to get mine, he talked his wife into getting one also the same day.

If you need or want to, the best deal we found was to wait till 2 weeks before the SuperBowl. BestBuy offers 24 monthes no interest during that time ... thats how I paid mine off.

Webby is offline Administrator
    Blog Entries

I have 96 inches of love.

Errrr.

96" projection system, projector has DLP, Faroujda chip, blah blah. HD TV feeds, and a DVDO scaler for lesser broadcasts. If you ever can talk the wife into such, I so recommend getting in on a system like that.

Then be nuts like me and build stadium seating. It may just be a house, but its my house, and as the lighted sign says as you come down the stairs, its the "Purplepride Theater".

Football hasn't been the same. Right Neumdog, Shock, TNT?

MattShortNB81 is offline Training Camp

hey webby..how much did all of that set you back....... :notworthy:

Webby is offline Administrator
    Blog Entries

With or without the THX certified surround system?

jk

Lets say if I had kids in private school, no dice on doing that deal. I have a wife who loves and respects how hard I work and I asked for it and got the okay.

That's all you can ask for; we all work our asses off. Sometimes, you just need to find that point you can get a little payback, and after years I got my little slice of heaven.

SKOL is offline Ring of Fame

Sheesh Webby that's some system. Is that where all the away games are hosted? I'm a little disappointed, though, that the room isn't purple and gold. :lol:

The true measure of a man is how he treats someone who can do him absolutely no good -Samuel Johnson - lexicographer
    The word genius isn t applicable in football. A genius is a guy like Norman Einstein - Joe Theisman

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast