Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    marstc09 is offline Jersey Retired

Big Screen HDTVs

I am about to buy a big screen HDTV. I know everyone likes to have an opinion here.

What do you suggest?

LCD or Plasma?
    What size?
    What Brand?
    etc?

Mr Anderson is offline Jersey Retired

Re: Big Screen HDTVs

I always hear that LCD is better than plasma.

What size do you want? I'd say that one's entirely up to you, we have a 36 inch lcd tv at home, and it's great.
    My friend has a 52 inch Sony LCD, and it's even better.

ThorSPL is offline Team Alumni

For the most part LCD > Plasma... you can replace bulbs and be back to "new" a lot easier than dealing with a worn out plasma.
    The old plasmas had a relatively poor half-life in brightness but I think the newer ones are a LOT better, something like 30,000 - 50,000 hours, which none of us will be able to hit before breaking it or getting something else newer...

After living in the south I've heard a big advantage to LCDs their (lack of) heat compared to the plasmas.... apparently they put out some heat and may be more power hungry both to use and keep your home cool (it matters in Louisiana)....

That being said.... have you considered how a projector and a screen may work for you?
    I bought one about a year ago and LOVE IT; my dad has a 60" Sony LCD and he is seriously thinking about having me get him a projector instead... price wise they are reasonable... you can get a 1080i projector for about a grand (www.newegg.com is where I bought mine) - I got a Mitsubishi and love it)... Screens can be had for about 100-250 depending on size, quality, and motorization.

When you shoot 125", sports are AMAZING!
    Actually, so is damn near everything.
    Wii Tennis is fun

Trust me, I'm a doctor.

www.twitter.com/ThorSPL

Purple Floyd is offline Jersey Retired
    Blog Entries

Where are you putting it?

If it is upstairs, then an LCD would be my choice. If it is going into a basement then I would go with a projector. We did that and you get the biggest screen for the lowest price.

"ThorSPL" wrote:
    For the most part LCD > Plasma... you can replace bulbs and be back to "new" a lot easier than dealing with a worn out plasma.
    The old plasmas had a relatively poor half-life in brightness but I think the newer ones are a LOT better, something like 30,000 - 50,000 hours, which none of us will be able to hit before breaking it or getting something else newer...

After living in the south I've heard a big advantage to LCDs their (lack of) heat compared to the plasmas.... apparently they put out some heat and may be more power hungry both to use and keep your home cool (it matters in Louisiana)....

That being said.... have you considered how a projector and a screen may work for you?
    I bought one about a year ago and LOVE IT; my dad has a 60" Sony LCD and he is seriously thinking about having me get him a projector instead... price wise they are reasonable... you can get a 1080i projector for about a grand (www.newegg.com is where I bought mine) - I got a Mitsubishi and love it)... Screens can be had for about 100-250 depending on size, quality, and motorization.

Wii Tennis is fun
    Here are some pictures of my set up... one of them is fully lit with 4 bright bulbs on that
    shows the room rather than the quality of the picture.
    You DO want a darker room for the projector, but if you have shades it is fine for daytime viewing

[img width=450 height=337]http://i250.photobucket.com/albums/gg246/ThorSPL/IMG_11501.jpg[/img]
    [img width=450 height=337]http://i250.photobucket.com/albums/gg246/ThorSPL/IMG_11611.jpg[/img]
    [img width=450 height=337]http://i250.photobucket.com/albums/gg246/ThorSPL/IMG_11591.jpg[/img]

My digital camera sucks and has a slow capture time so I had to pause it to give a decent idea of the quality it shows..

The picture is just a normal DVD with an upconverted signal, so it's capable of far better than that (See Vikings Football!)

Trust me, I'm a doctor.

www.twitter.com/ThorSPL

"UffDaVikes" wrote:
    Where are you putting it?

If it is upstairs, then an LCD would be my choice. If it is going into a basement then I would go with a projector. We did that and you get the biggest screen for the lowest price.
    Upstairs

ItalianStallion is offline Jersey Retired

LCD is better than plasma.

Size is up to you but the get exponentially more expensive the larger you get them (ie. the first 25 inches is much cheaper than the next 25 inches)

I'd feel more comfortable with a brand you know makes quality LCDs like Sony or Samsung vs. the cheaper alternatives like Prima, Insignia, Westinghouse etc.

Don't know much about projection LCDs but I hear that the lamp can burnout faster, not sure the truthfulness of that though.

Make sure you look into the TVs capabilities too as there are many that only go as high as 720p (which is still good, but the better ones go to 1080p now)

The good thing is they keep getting cheaper and cheaper, the TV I bought a year and a half ago ( 19" Samsung LCD HDTV) and it's like 40% cheaper now.

I m like a Ja Rule poster, cause I'm off the wall.

"ThorSPL" wrote:

Wii Tennis is fun
    Are projectors as sharp as LCD?

Given the proper signal, I would think it's pretty damn close.

If you're comparing a 42" LCD against my 125" projector, it's obviously going to be a little sharper since you'll have the same signal quality on a smaller area.

Based on the last year or so of watching ANYTHING cool at my house (we are always here for NFL and college games, and some hockey, etc.) I can tell a few things:

1) If the signal is NOT HD, it's going to be less sharp than you'd like.
    That being said, I notice the same on dad's 60" LCD.
    But I think it is exaggerated on the larger screen...
    2) An HD signal will leave nothing to be desired... most people respond with "holy shit, it's really clear" and comment on it exceeding what they thought projectors could do.
    3) Even upconverted signals are quite impressive.... most of my dvd's are "backups" which have some compression to top it all off; I REALLY want to get a blu-ray or HD-DVD to test out some time....
    4) They do have 1080p projectors out there, but you're talking almost $2000 for that... my suggestion would be to buy the 1080i and use it for a few years then upgrade if you like it.

All in all, I'm guessing the LCD has to be sharper, but you're also comparing something with 4 times the screen; so there is likely give and take in there.
    To me, the trade-off is worth it.
    I also have very nice shades to keep light out which made daytime viewing great for me....

Trust me, I'm a doctor.

www.twitter.com/ThorSPL

Garland Greene is offline Jersey Retired

It really depends upon what you are looking for and what you want to spend on what. We were on a budget, needed a new TV but also wanted to get a new receiver and DVD player. We went with a Vizio 42 inch For the price and money it is great. I was able
    great Sony Home Theater system, up convert DVD player and A HD DVR from Direct TV for a little over $2,000 a few places to look and get some good feedback is look at the review sections for products from different stores and Websites. I looked at everything from Target, amazon, Sams club, Wal mart ect But I found this teh most helpful

http://reviews.cnet.com/televisions/?tag=cnetfd.dir

I have used this for pretty much all of my electronics purchases and so far I have had good luck with everyone of them. The link I posted is for TV's. Very helpful info They even have some "TV's 101" sections. And also info on how to adjust your TV to the to the right settings ect.

Also something else to think about is your HDMI connections and how many to get. alot of it depends on what you are hooking up to what. If you have several components, DVD, Dish, Game System. You want to make sure that you have enough connections to hook all of the up. I know there is a HDMI"Extension plug" that you ccan hook up multiple HDMI cords into one plug but I have not used one. So I don't know how good they are.

Speaking of HDMI cords
    Don't buy them retail. You will spend anywhere from $65 low end to $200 high end, I had 3 different people tell me to go here

http://www.monoprice.com/home/index.asp

one was our IT guy at work, he knows his TV's and computer stuff. You should see his set up

One was a guy form an electronics store(Who I first was told about it.) and the reading several reviews on them on line. I have had no issues and I even borrowed a High end cable from a friend and there was no difference. He is pissed he payed $100 for his.

Hope some of this helps!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast