Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    BadlandsVikings is offline Jersey Retired

Re: Big layoffs at work today...

I've been there twice, it's no fun

Purple Floyd is offline Jersey Retired
    Blog Entries

Glad to hear you made it through the cuts. There are lots of people getting cut all over and lots of money is being spent by Washington to TRY to get us back on track. My fear is that it is going to be hard to recover and pay that debt back when we don't make anything any more.

Here is a little song for all of those who are or have been laid off.

[youtube=425,350]<object width="425" height="344"><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/ushS4107jDY&hl=en&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>[/youtube]

NodakPaul is offline Jersey Retired
    Blog Entries

"UffDaVikes" wrote:
    Glad to hear you made it through the cuts. There are lots of people getting cut all over and lots of money is being spent by Washington to TRY to get us back on track. My fear is that it is going to be hard to recover and pay that debt back when we don't make anything any more.

[youtube=425,350]<object width="425" height="344"><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/ushS4107jDY&hl=en&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>[/youtube]
    Great song.
    I saw them in concert last month.
    Amazing...
    Zeus wrote:
    When are you going to realize that picking out the 20 bad throws this year and ignoring the 300 good ones does not make your point?

=Z=

Purple Floyd is offline Jersey Retired
    Blog Entries

"NodakPaul" wrote:
    "UffDaVikes" wrote:

Great song.
    Amazing...
    Here is what your cubicle will look like by next year

[img size=100]http://www.purplepride.org/media/kunena/attachments/legacy/images/wow-36box2-1.jpg[/img]

Blog Entries

"UffDaVikes" wrote:
    "NodakPaul" wrote:
    "UffDaVikes" wrote:

Great song.
    Amazing...
    Here is what your cubicle will look like by next year

Well, I did upgrade one of my monitors to a 24" that was left in a vacant cube... ;D
    Zeus wrote:
    When are you going to realize that picking out the 20 bad throws this year and ignoring the 300 good ones does not make your point?

=Z=

"Caine" wrote:
    This is what happened to me a year plus ago - when GM "downsized", we all got shuttled out the door.

Of course, the severance packages that the Big 3 have offered their former employees make life a bit easier to handle...except those of us who worked for suppliers got nothing.

What I find amusing is as bad as I have it right now (try living on 40% of your current budget - it's LOADS of fun), I don't like to whine about it.
    It's life.
    Sure, I'm not too happy about bailing out the morons who put us here (Banks, Auto Industry, Democrats, etc), but I worry more about moving forward.

So, I'm back in school, and almost done with my 1st year of nursing clinicals.

And you know who the biggest whiner, crybaby, "We need special treatment" people are?

If you said "Former GM employees", you win.

These crybabies got something like a $25,000 severance, PLUS a $20,000 vehicle voucher, PLUS sub-pay (Which adds to their unemployment and brings their weekly pay back to about 80-90% of what it used to be)...and all they do is WHINE.

My point is that it's not losing your job that's bad, it's how you respond to it.

I'll never buy another GM product - for lots of reasons.
    And I'll never support the UAW so long as I live.
    Mostly because both threw everyone under the bus to save their own hides.
    But the next GM crybaby that tells me how bad they have it is getting popped in the beak.

Caine
    Banks (and other "interests") own democrats and republicans. Remember that Bush did the first round of bailouts. Be smarter than believing the two party BS the media is feeding us.

Zeus is offline Jersey Retired

"NodakPaul" wrote:
    Well, I did upgrade one of my monitors to a 24" that was left in a vacant cube... ;D
    Scavenging empty cubes is a time-honored way of mourning the missing.

=Z=

Thanks to Josdin for the awesome sig!

Blog Entries

"Zeus" wrote:
    "NodakPaul" wrote:

=Z=
    Yup.
    And we waited the prerequisite 24 hours... ;D
    Zeus wrote:

=Z=

jargomcfargo is offline Ring of Fame

"NodakPaul" wrote:
    "Zeus" wrote:
    "NodakPaul" wrote:

=Z=
    Yup.
    And we waited the prerequisite 24 hours... ;D
    Cubes=Catacombs

God help those who remain.
    ;D
    “What takes a quarterback to the next level is not arm strength or mobility or any of that stuff. It’s the ability to play on critical downs. Manage third downs, or red zones or four-minute or two-minute situations"
    Dilfer

singersp is offline PPO Newshound

"NodakPaul" wrote:
    "Formo" wrote:
    "NodakPaul" wrote:
    I am very fortunate not to be one of them, but we lost about 20% of our total work force today, including some of my very good friends and even part of our executive team.

The technology team was hit the hardest, losing 1/3 of our staff.

Really a wake up call for me.
    I am glad that our family finances are in order, but this was still a shock.
    Yeah, glad you made that cut.

I just got laid off myself last Thursday.
    My supervisor was pretty pissed, because he loved me (in the non-homoerotic way), and he took my number before I left, so if he can start hiring again, he can call me.
    That really sucks man.
    Lay offs are the worst, because they are never performance based.
    It is easier to let someone go when they deserve it.
    It sucks when they don't.
    At my business, some were & some weren't. We are a tier one automotive supplier & lost 2/3rds of our engineering department to "permanent" layoffs & a good chunk of those targeted were people who were there for many many years. The best designers & engineers were kept & I was
    fortunate to be one of them. Salaries played a big part of it in the name of the almighty dollar with several managers being cut. Of course the severance policy was changed significantly before anyone was let go.

Those of us that remain still faced 5 weeks off without pay throughout the year in lieu of cutting salaries. They refer to those layoffs as "furloughs" to make it sound as if it's a good thing. We just have to make sure we go to the "furlough" office to apply for our "furlough" compensation each of those 5 weeks.

Raises were froze & we were given a last small token bonus earlier in the year, while the CEO got himself a nice $5 million dollar bonus, which quickly could become $12 mil if we meet a certain profit margin

They even cut janitors & those of us that remain are responsible for vacuuming our own cubes & emptying our own waste baskets. Some bathrooms were locked & people were relocated to create empty rooms to save on electricity. Musak (?) was cut & several fluorescent bulbs removed to save a few other additional bucks.

Times are tough all over & I'm just glad to be working. I sympathize with those of you affected by the layoffs & hope you can make it through the tough times & find work.

"If at first you don't succeed, parachuting is not for you"

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast