Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    NodakPaul is offline Jersey Retired
    Blog Entries

Big layoffs at work today...

I am very fortunate not to be one of them, but we lost about 20% of our total work force today, including some of my very good friends and even part of our executive team.

The technology team was hit the hardest, losing 1/3 of our staff.

Really a wake up call for me.
    I am glad that our family finances are in order, but this was still a shock.
    Zeus wrote:
    When are you going to realize that picking out the 20 bad throws this year and ignoring the 300 good ones does not make your point?

=Z=

marstc09 is offline Jersey Retired

Re: Big layoffs at work today...

The future is scary. Good to see you are ok. Sad for the others.

ultravikingfan is offline Administrator

I here ya there.

We have over 14,000 employees and around 700 were laid off in March.
    Another 700 took voluntary retirement, and then they just eliminated 60 more.
    They are still not at there numbers, so they are opening up voluntary (forced) retirement again.

On top of all this, we had a mandatory 5% pay cut.

That was right after I got a 5% increase.

kevoncox is offline Jersey Retired

"NodakPaul" wrote:
    I am very fortunate not to be one of them, but we lost about 20% of our total work force today, including some of my very good friends and even part of our executive team.

I went thru it last year with Fannie Mae's downfall. I always think to myself that no matter how bad I have it, someone else has it worst and they are able to find a way thru it. It's always scary when you look across at cubicles and offices that are empty but once held co-workers. Sad times my friend. Sad times.

NodakPaul is offline Jersey Retired
    Blog Entries

"kevoncox" wrote:
    "NodakPaul" wrote:

I went thru it last year with Fannie Mae's downfall. I always think to myself that no matter how bad I have it, someone else has it worst and they are able to find a way thru it. It's always scary when you look across at cubicles and offices that are empty but once held co-workers. Sad times My Sexy Little Pixie. Sad times.
    Out of the seven desks in my office grouping, there are only three occupied now...
    Zeus wrote:
    When are you going to realize that picking out the 20 bad throws this year and ignoring the 300 good ones does not make your point?

=Z=

kevoncox is offline Jersey Retired

"NodakPaul" wrote:
    "kevoncox" wrote:
    "NodakPaul" wrote:

I went thru it last year with Fannie Mae's downfall. I always think to myself that no matter how bad I have it, someone else has it worst and they are able to find a way thru it. It's always scary when you look across at cubicles and offices that are empty but once held co-workers. Sad times My Sexy Little Pixie. Sad times.
    Out of the seven desks in my office grouping, there are only three occupied now...
    Your co-workers really are like family. When they are gone its like a different work place

cogitans is offline Jersey Retired

We were just resently through layoffs also. I have never tried that before, and it's not a pleasant experience.

Even if you feel pretty safe, the environment surrounding it all is dreadfull.

And what are you going to say to those good collegues of yours that get the axe. "Oh, it'll work out for the best"? Like hell it is, and they all know it, there are very few jobs to be had out there.

Thanks to PPE for the sig.

Caine is offline Jersey Retired

This is what happened to me a year plus ago - when GM "downsized", we all got shuttled out the door.

Of course, the severance packages that the Big 3 have offered their former employees make life a bit easier to handle...except those of us who worked for suppliers got nothing.

What I find amusing is as bad as I have it right now (try living on 40% of your current budget - it's LOADS of fun), I don't like to whine about it.
    It's life.
    Sure, I'm not too happy about bailing out the morons who put us here (Banks, Auto Industry, Democrats, etc), but I worry more about moving forward.

So, I'm back in school, and almost done with my 1st year of nursing clinicals.

And you know who the biggest whiner, crybaby, "We need special treatment" people are?

If you said "Former GM employees", you win.

These crybabies got something like a $25,000 severance, PLUS a $20,000 vehicle voucher, PLUS sub-pay (Which adds to their unemployment and brings their weekly pay back to about 80-90% of what it used to be)...and all they do is WHINE.

My point is that it's not losing your job that's bad, it's how you respond to it.

I'll never buy another GM product - for lots of reasons.
    And I'll never support the UAW so long as I live.
    Mostly because both threw everyone under the bus to save their own hides.
    But the next GM crybaby that tells me how bad they have it is getting popped in the beak.

Caine

jmcdon00 is offline Jersey Retired Snake Champion, Moto Trial Fest 2: Mountain Pack Champion, LL City Truck 2 Champion, Arithmetic sequence Champion, Troops Tower Defense Champion

"Caine" wrote:
    This is what happened to me a year plus ago - when GM "downsized", we all got shuttled out the door.

Of course, the severance packages that the Big 3 have offered their former employees make life a bit easier to handle...except those of us who worked for suppliers got nothing.

What I find amusing is as bad as I have it right now (try living on 40% of your current budget - it's LOADS of fun), I don't like to whine about it.
    It's life.
    Sure, I'm not too happy about bailing out the morons who put us here (Banks, Auto Industry, Democrats, etc), but I worry more about moving forward.

So, I'm back in school, and almost done with my 1st year of nursing clinicals.

And you know who the biggest whiner, crybaby, "We need special treatment" people are?

If you said "Former GM employees", you win.

These crybabies got something like a $25,000 severance, PLUS a $20,000 vehicle voucher, PLUS sub-pay (Which adds to their unemployment and brings their weekly pay back to about 80-90% of what it used to be)...and all they do is WHINE.

My point is that it's not losing your job that's bad, it's how you respond to it.

I'll never buy another GM product - for lots of reasons.
    And I'll never support the UAW so long as I live.
    Mostly because both threw everyone under the bus to save their own hides.
    But the next GM crybaby that tells me how bad they have it is getting popped in the beak.

Caine
    +1 to the part in bold.

marstc09 is offline Jersey Retired

"kevoncox" wrote:
    "NodakPaul" wrote:
    "kevoncox" wrote:
    "NodakPaul" wrote:

Your co-workers really are like family. When they are gone its like a different work place
    Some are not like family.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast