Ltrey33 is offline Jersey Retired

Bewitched Statue

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20050616/ap_en_mo/bewitched_statue

I just read that article on Yahoo! Evidently they erected a statue in Salem, Mass. depicting the original character from the old TV show Bewitched. I don't know about you guys, but as a history major I find it kind of stupid. The Salem Witch Trials aren't exactly something to be made fun of, a lot of people died senselessly, and I agree that a statue of a comedic witch in the town that the witch trials took place in kind of trivializes it. If it were somewhere else, I don't see a problem with it. But in Salem I think it's inappropriate. Anyone agree? Disagree?

DarrinNelsonguy is offline Team Alumni

Re: Bewitched Statue

Why erect a statue of the character of that TV show anyway it was a good show, but does it merit a statue?
    "Hard work beats talent, when talent doesn t work hard."

cc21 is offline Ring of Fame

i dont think they should have put the statue up. like u said, that kind of stuff shouldn't be made fun of or anything like that.

Space Coyote Guest

I have decided to totally miss the point of this post and say that Elizabeth Montgommery was cute back in the day.

In MSP, isn't there a statue of Mary Tyler Moore? Somewhere in NC there's a Andy Griffith statue. It's kinda normal to put one up in the city the show was in. The Salem witch trials weren't the nicest thing we've done as as Americans, but it's definitely not anywhere near the worst (i.e. slavery, Indians/Native Americans, segregation...oh, my, the list goes on...I guess we aren't/weren't the nicest country, are we?)

Ltrey33 is offline Jersey Retired

In Minneapolis there is a statue of Mary Tyler Moore because that's where the show took place. Same with Andy Griffith. I think it's better then because the shows were set in those cities, but they put up the Bewitched one in Salem because she was a witch, and Salem is obvisouly famous for witches. It was kind of a strange connection. (Tell me if I'm wrong and Bewitched actually took place in Salem)

I definately know the witch trials weren't the worse thing we've done, and the atrocities against the Native Americans and slaves etc. were probably much worse, but I still find it disrespectful.

Paulbedy59 is offline Coordinator

She is cute enough to put a statue in my town.But since she is already taken.I,m going to petition my town for I dream of geanie....
    If winning isn,t everything,why keep score?

"ltrey33" wrote:
    In Minneapolis there is a statue of Mary Tyler Moore because that's where the show took place. Same with Andy Griffith. I think it's better then because the shows were set in those cities, but they put up the Bewitched one in Salem because she was a witch, and Salem is obvisouly famous for witches. It was kind of a strange connection. (Tell me if I'm wrong and Bewitched actually took place in Salem)

I definately know the witch trials weren't the worse thing we've done, and the atrocities against the Native Americans and slaves etc. were probably much worse, but I still find it disrespectful.
    Actually the Bewitched show was in CT (didn't know that until I looked it up), but they did do a couple of episodes in Salem. I sort of still like the idea because it's taking a horrible time in our history and kinda mocking it. In Sabrina the Teenage Witch, the cat's name is Salem. Overall, I'd have to say since it was over 400 years ago, at some point we get to mock stuff, don't we? This type of thing happened all over the world at different times. In Voltaire's Candide, he mocked the Spanish Inquistion, which was similar only way, way worse. I usually try to be sensitive about most issues (politically correct), but I can't say I'm upset about this...

cajunvike is offline Jersey Retired

"Paulbedy59" wrote:
    She is cute enough to put a statue in my town.But since she is already taken.I,m going to petition my town for I dream of geanie....
    Yeah, Samantha was cute....but Jeannie was totally HOT!!!
    BANNED OR DEAD...I'LL TAKE EITHER ONE

audioghost is offline Star Spokesman

Spacecoyote....lol...I have music on right now and the star wars fool is pelvic thrusting to the beat....what a coincidence....lol

A.G s HOTTEST NEW RAP CD: AUDIO GHOST & MAIN EVENT drop THE SEED: I made tha beats www.myspace.com/audioghost2006