Page 11 of 12 FirstFirst ... 9101112 LastLast
    Del Rio Guest

Re: Better fill up your tanks

"singersp" wrote:
    "Del Rio" wrote:
    "singersp" wrote:
    "Del Rio" wrote:
    "singersp" wrote:
    :scratch: With the bulk of the oil we use being bought from foreign countries, how does the amount we buy, ruin our environment?

Our refineries run 24/7 now & will continue to run 24/7 despite a drop in usage if there is one.
    I don't know where you are seeing that but I assume they are talking about the emissions used when the oil is consumed.

Most people are talking about the proposal to drill the North Slope in Alaska.
    The last I checked, they still drill the hole straight down don't they? :wink:
    I'm not sure, ask Turboe. :razz:

I think the actually drilling is the least of the enviromental worries.
    My point is, the actual area of land that is used in the the location of the drilling site & refinery is minimal as compared to the vastness of Alaska.

He doesn't seem to be the least bit concerned with the amount of woodlands & wetlands in the lower 48 states that is lost due to construction of new homes, businesses & urban sprawl.

I would venture to guess more wildlife area is lost due to that, in less than a year, than the drill site would ever take.
    I'm not completely familiar with the oil drilling process, but I imagine that in order to get the machines in place roads will be built, supposedly a waste facility and other buildings as well. I mean I don't think technology is to the point where they can wave a wand and install a verticle drill without effecting the area arround it.

Apparently the location being discussed is right in the heart of Polar Bear denning area.

I am not sure I could care less, because the oil made refined in alaska doesn't make it past the rockies, and the ammount is so insignificant that I dont think it warrants the destruction of habitat.

But I like camping in tents and I like wildlife, so I am biased.

I do prefere mass transit. If mankato had a better bus sytem from my home to the hospital, i would take it. I did not loose any credibility by buying a foriegn car. By expecting higher quality and being forced to buy a foriegn because it offers better quality and higher mpg because the american companies until this point have refused to do so, does not make me unamerican or unpatriotic. The most patriotic people in america are not the ones wearing their flag on their chest. They are the ones demanding change to better the country. The track this country is on now is steering into the wrong path. Sorry if i refuse to accept poor quality, I refuse to support unions which find its acceptable to give high wages to people who refuse to earn it. I refuse to shop at wal-mart does that make me unamerican too. I would rather spend a few extra dollars and support local companies, local people. Is it wrong to shop for produce at the farmers market? It might cost a little more, but its not supporting americas largest employer? Call me what you want, I demand quality, change, reason. I refuse to sit on my a$$ and watch the country dive into a tailspin. I contact my local reps when i feel they could be doing a better job, or when things need to be addressed, but since i might not drive a chevy, that makes me unamerican right? Good luck with that thought!
    You republican whore!

Del Rio Guest

"PurpleRide" wrote:
    I do prefere mass transit. If mankato had a better bus sytem from my home to the hospital, i would take it. I did not loose any credibility by buying a foriegn car. By expecting higher quality and being forced to buy a foriegn because it offers better quality and higher mpg because the american companies until this point have refused to do so, does not make me unamerican or unpatriotic. The most patriotic people in america are not the ones wearing their flag on their chest. They are the ones demanding change to better the country. The track this country is on now is steering into the wrong path. Sorry if i refuse to accept poor quality, I refuse to support unions which find its acceptable to give high wages to people who refuse to earn it. I refuse to shop at wal-mart does that make me unamerican too. I would rather spend a few extra dollars and support local companies, local people. Is it wrong to shop for produce at the farmers market? It might cost a little more, but its not supporting americas largest employer? Call me what you want, I demand quality, change, reason. I refuse to sit on my a$$ and watch the country dive into a tailspin. I contact my local reps when i feel they could be doing a better job, or when things need to be addressed, but since i might not drive a chevy, that makes me unamerican right? Good luck with that thought!
    Who called you unamerican?

Learn to read that would be step one. Then when you get that down maybe you can work on understanding what it is you are reading.

You bitched about people who drive trucks because it hurts America's economy. Then you turn around and say your going to buy an import LMAO. Which hurts Americas economy.

No one said you were being un-patriotic I was just saying you were being a dipshit.

singersp is offline PPO Newshound

"Del Rio" wrote:
    "singersp" wrote:
    "Del Rio" wrote:
    "singersp" wrote:
    "Del Rio" wrote:
    Quote Originally Posted by singersp
    :scratch: With the bulk of the oil we use being bought from foreign countries, how does the amount we buy, ruin our environment?

Our refineries run 24/7 now & will continue to run 24/7 despite a drop in usage if there is one.
    I don't know where you are seeing that but I assume they are talking about the emissions used when the oil is consumed.

My point is, the actual area of land that is used in the the location of the drilling site & refinery is minimal as compared to the vastness of Alaska.

He doesn't seem to be the least bit concerned with the amount of woodlands & wetlands in the lower 48 states that is lost due to construction of new homes, businesses & urban sprawl.

I would venture to guess more wildlife area is lost due to that, in less than a year, than the drill site would ever take.
    I'm not completely familiar with the oil drilling process, but I imagine that in order to get the machines in place roads will be built, supposedly a waste facility and other buildings as well. I mean I don't think technology is to the point where they can wave a wand and install a verticle drill without effecting the area arround it.

Apparently the location being discussed is right in the heart of Polar Bear denning area.

I am not sure I could care less, because the oil made refined in alaska doesn't make it past the rockies, and the ammount is so insignificant that I dont think it warrants the destruction of habitat.

I am too. As well as a hunt & fish.

I've seen a lot of hunting & fishing areas lost to development of roads & people building homes in prime hunting land & I don't live near a big city.

Like anything else, you need to weigh the positives against the negatives & see which way makes the most sense.

No matter which way is chosen, there will always be people for it & people bitching about it.

"If at first you don't succeed, parachuting is not for you"

Del Rio Guest

"singersp" wrote:
    "Del Rio" wrote:
    "singersp" wrote:
    "Del Rio" wrote:
    "singersp" wrote:
    Quote Originally Posted by Del Rio
    Quote Originally Posted by singersp

I am too. As well as a hunt & fish.

I've seen a lot of hunting & fishing areas lost to development of roads & people building homes in prime hunting land & I don't live near a big city.

Like anything else, you need to weigh the positives against the negatives & see which way makes the most sense.

No matter which way is chosen, there will always be people for it & people bitching about it.
    Lots of good pheasant country lost to home building here too. We make noise locally, but the reason this gets so much attention is it more of a national thing.

You are correct about the bitching though. That's why I said the truth probably lays somewhere between the enviromentalists and the oil companies. Everyone has an agenda.

Del Rio Guest

"It is really sad some americans would rather help destroy the economy by refusing to change, than change what they drive."

"My next car will be either german or japenese..."
    ~PurpleRide

LMFAO quote material right there.

Prophet Guest

"Del Rio" wrote:
    "It is really sad some americans would rather help destroy the economy by refusing to change, than change what they drive."

"My next car will be either german or japenese..."
    ~PurpleRide

LMFAO quote material right there.
    :shock: Wow.

BadlandsVikings is online now Jersey Retired

"Del Rio" wrote:
    "westvirginiavikings" wrote:
    I drive a gas guzzling Ford f-150, and I'm not hauling anything in the back. Yeah some of these new skateboards with a moped motor save you money on gas, but I'll be safer in an accident when a bigger vehicle runs over me.
    I drive a 2006 F350, and I pull various gas guzzling toys into the mountains and to the lakes.

I like to carry two 55 gallon drums of gas in the bed of my truck so I can dump them out on the road as I drive by 4 door cars made in europe that were bought by people who think they are doing america a favor by conserving gasoline and yet they buy foriegn.......

I could use the gas of course, I just like to dump it out to piss them off. I make sure I floor it with my 5th wheel on too, just to make sure I consume as much fuel as possible, because I know it pisses them japameme kids off knowing I just raised their gas prices 30 cents when I floored my truck...........
    Keep pouring out your gas as much as you want. That just means the use of more oil which means more money to put food on my table. By the way support America, buy bigger trucks. :razz:

singersp is offline PPO Newshound

"Del Rio" wrote:
    I drive a gas guzzling Ford f-150, and I'm not hauling anything in the back. Yeah some of these new skateboards with a moped motor save you money on gas, but I'll be safer in an accident when a bigger vehicle runs over me.
    I drive a 2006 F350, and I pull various gas guzzling toys into the mountains and to the lakes.

I like to carry two 55 gallon drums of gas in the bed of my truck so I can dump them out on the road as I drive by 4 door cars made in europe that were bought by people who think they are doing america a favor by conserving gasoline and yet they buy foriegn.......

I could use the gas of course, I just like to dump it out to piss them off. I make sure I floor it with my 5th wheel on too, just to make sure I consume as much fuel as possible, because I know it pisses them japameme kids off knowing I just raised their gas prices 30 cents when I floored my truck...........
    Keep pouring out your gas as much as you want. That just means the use of more oil which means more money to put food on my table. By the way support America, buy bigger trucks. :razz:
    Exactly what do you do for a living WVV?

"If at first you don't succeed, parachuting is not for you"

BadlandsVikings is online now Jersey Retired

"singersp" wrote:
    "Del Rio" wrote:

Keep pouring out your gas as much as you want. That just means the use of more oil which means more money to put food on my table. By the way support America, buy bigger trucks. razz
    Exactly what do you do for a living WVV?
    I'm a senior technical draftsman for homeland security, but my family owns oil wells.

Page 11 of 12 FirstFirst ... 9101112 LastLast