Page 15 of 15 FirstFirst ... 5131415
    jmcdon00 is offline Jersey Retired Snake Champion, Moto Trial Fest 2: Mountain Pack Champion, LL City Truck 2 Champion, Arithmetic sequence Champion, Troops Tower Defense Champion

Re: The best sign ever in all of America

"olson_10" wrote:
    "jmcdon00" wrote:
    "olson_10" wrote:
    "BloodyHorns82" wrote:
    "marstc09" wrote:
    [quote author=BloodyHorns82 link=topic=43557.msg747724#msg747724 date=1206565505]
    [quote author=marstc09 link=topic=43557.msg747720#msg747720 date=1206565309]
    [quote author=BloodyHorns82 link=topic=43557.msg747692#msg747692 date=1206562457]
    [quote author=marstc09 link=topic=43557.msg747687#msg747687 date=1206561796]
    [quote author=olson_10 link=topic=43557.msg747570#msg747570 date=1206555318]
    [quote author=marstc09 link=topic=43557.msg747484#msg747484 date=1206550516]
    [quote author=BloodyHorns82 link=topic=43557.msg747463#msg747463 date=1206549584]
    [quote author=marstc09 link=topic=43557.msg747450#msg747450 date=1206548907]
    [quote author=litlharsh link=topic=43557.msg747132#msg747132 date=1206502094]
    Yet Americans walk into hotels and restaurants worldwide speaking only English.
    Ironic isn't it.
    The "speaking english" complaint is not directed towards the people of foreign lands who are in the U.S. visiting...
    But rather the residents who have lived here for several years and refuse (or are too incompetent) to study or pickup on the english language.
    It's not that complicated and is the least somebody can do.
    Refuse or incompetent? Is there a law that we must speak English? Why do they have to do anything. Freedom of speech! It is still ignorant and his business will suffer for it. I for one will never eat here again when I am in Philly. Customer lost. Plain and sinple! I would almost bet that more immigrants know english than your so called competent citizens know spanish!
    there is a law that says you do not have to serve a person unless they speak the official language of the country..same law applies in canada..why would we need to know spanish by the way? again, a ton of people immigrate into our country, and suddenly we need to make their language official because they are refusing to pick up our language and culture? i thought the point of leaving mexico was to become american and adopt the american way of life? am i wrong?..in canada its one thing, because the french and english were both there from the start, and each did their own thing to found the country, while america was founded by english speaking people
    First of all do your homework. The US has no official language. Next, you obviously have no business since. Spanish is one of the most important languages besides Chinese in business.

If you think the point of Mexicans coming here is to become "American" and adopt the "American" life then you have a lot to learn.
    [/quote]

From my experience the primary language used in the business world is English.
    The company I work for is headquartered in Europe but yet everyone speaks English...even though it's not their primary language, they use it in the work place.

Interesting article I found too...English is the growing trend.

http://www.iht.com/articles/2007/04/...ope/engbiz.php

"We are shifting to English. Why?" said Laurent Bibard, the dean of MBA programs at Essec, a French business school in a suburb of Paris that is a fertile breeding ground for chief executives. "It's the language for international teaching. English allows students to be able to come from any place in the world and for our students - the French ones - to go everywhere."
    With the shift in working languages, the English testing industry is thriving on the rising demand to evaluate skills of a new generation that is expected to master English at more sophisticated levels. Many countries have stepped up English-language requirements at lower levels, which is improving the language abilities of students entering the university system
    [/quote]

What does a French business school have to do with the US?
    [/quote]

Spanish may be the primary language of the world, but it is not the primary business language.
    English is in most cases.
    Universities throuhgout the world are offering more and more courses in English because it is the prefered business language and it gives it's students a head start.
    [/quote]

I never said Spanish was the primary language?!
    [/quote]

You said it was the most important business language (under chinese) and that the poster obviously didn't have any business sense.
    My belief is tht English is the primary (or most important) language in the global business environment.
    Perhaps I misunderstood your post?

First of all do your homework. The US has no official language. Next, you obviously have no business sense. Spanish is one of the most important languages besides Chinese in business.
    [/quote]
    this is why thousands and thousands of chinese students come to america or canada each year to take part in programs funded by their government in order to learn ENGLISH..also, china is the country that recruits more english tutors than any other country..if spanish is that close in importance to chinese and english, then marstc09, please explain why chinese people (over 1/6th of the planet) are choosing to learn english instead
    [/quote]
    Millions of school children learn spanish every year in america, what does that mean?
    [/quote]
    you have a choice between french or spanish..second language at the elementary and high school level have been a part of the education system way before spanish was spoken regularly in the southwest..even in canada, same thing, french is an official language, but you have the choice to take it..second language credits are a typical part of high school to the point where theyre required for university entry at most colleges..not specifically spanish, its just specified as "2 credits in a second language class"

the point of what i said is that if the most populated country in the world, which has been declared as one of the biggest up and coming business nation by numerous economic research sources, is dying to learn english for business purposes, then its obvious that english and chinese both trump spanish in terms of the business world
    [/quote]
    I'm sure that many chinese learn spanish too. I'm sure the government want people to learn english so they can do business easier with Americans and europians who have most of the worlds money, the same reason so many Mexicans learn english. Doesn't mean it should be law though.
    I am not arguing that the top two languages in the world are not English and Chinese, only that spanish is spoken by many people around the world and there is nothing wrong with that.
    Maybe there should be a law mandating the metric units of measurement, it makes more sense and most of the world uses it. ???
    I'm pretty sure spanish has been spoken in the southwest for a very very long time.

mr.woo is offline Team Alumni

if you don't like it you can GEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEETTTTTTT OOOOOOOOUUUUUUUT!!! greatest qoute in the history of quotes. that voice is just perfect for it.
    woo out
    just two corn cobs shy of a bushel

ejmat is offline Jersey Retired

"litlharsh" wrote:
    Yet Americans walk into hotels and restaurants worldwide speaking only English.
    And we are all looked down on because of it.
    Then people act like they don't know the language when you know darn well they do.

I think it's different when you are visiting but when you live and / or want citizenship you should learn the language of the country.

singersp is offline PPO Newshound

"jmcdon00" wrote:
    "BloodyHorns82" wrote:
    "marstc09" wrote:
    "olson_10" wrote:
    "BloodyHorns82" wrote:
    [quote author=marstc09 link=topic=43557.msg747725#msg747725 date=1206565510]
    [quote author=BloodyHorns82 link=topic=43557.msg747702#msg747702 date=1206563958]
    [quote author=marstc09 link=topic=43557.msg747700#msg747700 date=1206563708]
    [quote author=olson_10 link=topic=43557.msg747573#msg747573 date=1206555535]
    [quote author=josdin00 link=topic=43557.msg747571#msg747571 date=1206555425]
    There is no official language of the United States.
    not at the federal level, but it is in 28 states
    The states have nothing to do with citizenship!
    What does this thread have to do with citizenship?
    A Lot!
    You make it sound like this is an immigration issue and it's not.
    Just because some people prefer the american population to speak english doesn't mean they aren't welcome as citizens...the point is these new citizens should attempt to learn the common language.

[/quote]
    exactly
    [/quote]

Don't give me that BS. Most of the people who believe they should speak English believe that they should not even come here to begin with. It is all the same ignorant behavior. Things will never change until those people die off.
    [/quote]

Marc...you are completely wrong IMO, and that is a VERY ignorant comment yourself.
    [/quote]
    I think when mars is talking about the ignorant people he is referring to people like singer who posted this story as the "the best sign in all of America". Many people on here do have alternate reasons for disliking Mexicans this is just a convenient way to voice those concerns with out sounding racist.

[/quote]

[size=13pt]Who the fuck do you think you are are calling me both ignorant & racist[/size]. I am far from either. I welcome people in to my home regardless of race, color, creed or religious beliefs. Need I remind you that my fiancee is a Filipino who has never set foot in America or spoken English fluently.

Hell Mars, you of all people should know that.

My daughter dates African American men & I don't even think twice about it.

This issue isn't about race at all, it's about speaking English. If you're going to come here & live at least learn the language that was always commonly spoken here instead of trying to change all the rules, the signs & what flag we fly here. I can understand newer citizens not learning it right away, but make an attempt to learn it. Many of these people have lived here for years & still don't want to learn it. We've already changed signs, billboards, restaurant menus & other things to accommodate them. Where do we draw the line?

I don't have a problem with them speaking it among themselves or teaching their language to their children. Hell. that's their culture. But when they insist we as Americans need to learn their language so that we can communicate with them instead of them learning ours, or that we have to make all signs everywhere bi-lingual rather than them learning enough to adapt to life here in the USA, it's going to far.

The only immigrants I have a beef with on any other matter are the ones that choose to sneak in here illegally. Many others go thru the legal process, the right way & get delayed or turned away because of all the illegals that choose not to follow that process. That does not make me predjudice. That does not make me ignorant. That makes me pissed off.

The monies & government benefits that these illegals are stealing was meant for the poor & needy that were either born here or have come here thru the legal process.

I love this country & it is open to anyone who comes here legally to live, but please learn to love it the way I do & try not to change it.

And in case you missed it the first time....[size=13pt]Don't you EVER call me ignorant, stupid, racist or prejudice. I won't fucking stand for it!

GOT IT![/size]

"If at first you don't succeed, parachuting is not for you"

Turboe is offline Hall of Famer

for whomever said earlier that it was a bad business decision (I cant keep track of those huge stacked threads) I would disagree.
    He may have lost your business, but he has most certainly gained mine and probably just as many gained as lost.

Ive been to Philly a few times and most of the locals there seem like the i'll support that position kind of people vs. the I'm offended by that guys sign kind of people.

I cant remember if this is the place that I normally go to when in downtown Philadelphia to get my Cheesesteak, but is sure will be next time you can be sure.
    The only problems I have found with real Philly Cheesesteaks are that my hands sometimes get greasy and that makes it harder to hold on to my golfclub.
    High Quality Golf and Cheesesteaks are the two best things that I have found in the Philly area (except for my wife of course).

shockzilla is offline PPO Ambassador
    Blog Entries

OK then...maybe I ought to lock this thread...
    PPO Ambassador, Defender of the Purple Faith and Guardian of the Gates of Valhalla

josdin00 is offline Ring of Fame

Page 15 of 15 FirstFirst ... 5131415